• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with getting advertised ram speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

falc97

I am running the following setup:

Asrock Taichi Z370
I7 8700k cpu
GSkill F4-4133C19D-16GTZR ram

My problem is that I cannot get the ram to run at advertised speed. It is my understanding that all I should need to do is enable the xmp profile. However, when I do this my pc wont boot and the bios reverts back to default settings. Even if I manually enter the voltage, dram frequency and latency it still doesn't work. If I set it to auto and set frequesncy to 4133 it boots but my latencies are extremely high as per cpu-z. What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated.

4133 is pretty darn fast, even for Z370... unless you are benchmarking, you would have been much better served by something slower (3200 or so) and saved your wallet in the process.

That said, is the Taichi on the latest BIOS? If not, be sure it is.

Are you overclocked?

You may need to up the System Agent voltage (vccSA) and vccIO voltage manually as, again, that is very fast RAM and not all systems (read: IMC) will support it. I would start with vccSA at 1.25V and vccIO at 1.2V manually and see if that helps when enabling XMP.

You can also try with one stick at a time (be sure you are using the proper slot for single RAM operations).

Thanks for the reply. I am on the latest bios. I did have the cpu overclocked to 5.0 but since reset everything just to make sure nothing interferes with my ram when setting up xmp. I will try messing with the vccsa and vccio voltages and see if that does it. I’ll report back with the results.

Ok so I tried each stick individually. 1 boots fine with xmp enabled and gets advertised timings. The other one will not boot. I am assuming this is a bad stick and would need an rma. Would that be correct?

So after some further testing and a call to gskill tech support I found out that one of the sticks isn’t working properly. Gskill had me setup an rma for replacement. Thanks for the help.

Back