• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With Liquid Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatfunkymonkey

-Hello
I've decided to build a PC which is a first for me. During the past few weeks I have researched everything I could about the process and am at a point where I feel comfortable to actually build my PC. I've selected all the required parts to build it but I've decided to go with Liquid Cooling which I don't know to much about. I want to cool my CPU and GPU.
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor
GPU: GeForce GTX 980
The case I have selected is a Corsair 900D. I know what components you need for liquid cooling but I don't know how you actually set it up. The radiator I am going with is the Black Ice Nemesis GTX series. I was wondering if having a 480GTX at the top with another at the bottom of the case would work well and how the tubing would be set up also. The water block for the CPU is a EK Supreme HF. The water block for the GPU is a EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock for GTX 980. I haven't selected a reservoir yet because I don't know what type I should get and where I should place it inside the 900D. The pump I am getting is the Swiftech MCP655. I'm Look for high-end quality tubing and fittings. I need help mapping out where it would a go and getting an idea of what the result would look like. As you can tell I am a newbie when it comes to Liquid Cooling. Any help is very much appreciated.

Hello fatfunkeymonkey,
For tubing you should go for Primochill Advanced LRT which is the best out there and used by the most of us in this forum. It comes in a lot of colours for you to choose, UV reactive or not. For fittings you should look at compression fittings. Each company provides different tastes in style but they are all equally reliable. Maybe you should check at the stickies in the watercooling section to give you a basic idea of how you should map your loop. I would personally go for 2x240mm RX series rads one at the front, one at the top of your case. Hope I helped :)

I am also new to water cooling and i read all the stickies and they were a tremendous help in building my first watercooled pc. So i would say take the time to read them as a foundation :)

I posted about my concerns in putting together a water cooling system for my new build back in May 2013.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...g-a-water-cooled-Haswell-build-seeking-advice

I put my stuff in a Corsair 900D case. Used two Coolgate radiators (480) and one pump (MCP35X) to cool my 4770K and two GTX 780s.

The basics of the computer:
CPU: i7-4770K
MB: ASUS Z87-PRO LGA
Grpahics: two EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper in dual SLI
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Corsair 900D
SeaSonic X-1250 80 PLUS GOLD

The water cooling components:
Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump
- Optional Tank Res
- MCP35X-HS Pump Heatsink
- Yate Loon 80mm x 15mm Fan
Coolgate Quad 120mm Ultimate Heat Exchanger Radiator (CG480) x 2
Koolance CPU-380I Intel Liquid Cooling CPU Block
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD - Clear
Koolance Coolant Temperature Sensor Plug x 2
Bitspower Matte Black Sealing Plug For ID 1/2" Tube x 2
IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip x 2
1/2" ID UV Reactive Leakproof T Fitting x 2
Phobya Reusable 3/4" OD Hose Clamp - Black x 22
Gentle Typhoon fans AP-45 (in pull) x 8
Sunbeam PL-RS-6 Rheosmart 6 Fan Controller 5.25" Bay 6 Channel 30W Fan Controller Panel

I believe a GTX 980 produces less heat than a GTX 780. I was told that my use of two 480 radiators was overkill. My 780s never get above 37 centigrade in a 27 degree room. I am replaced my 4770K with a 4790K over-clocked to 4400MHz.
Running Prime 95 In-place large FFTs, the cores get to 69, 71, 69, 65.
IntelBurnTest 74, 76, 73, 70.

EDIT: Fixed it

Last edited:
Hello fatfunkeymonkey,
For tubing you should go for Primochill Advanced LRT....I would personally go for 2x240mm RX series rads one at the front, one at the top of your case.

+1

I put my stuff in a Corsair 900D case. Used two Coolgate radiators (480) and one pump (MCP35X) to cool my 4770K and two GTX 870s.

The basics of the computer:
CPU: i7-4770K
MB: ASUS Z87-PRO LGA
Grpahics: two EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper in dual SLI
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Corsair 900D
SeaSonic X-1250 80 PLUS GOLD

I'm confused - did you mean 780's the whole time? To my knowledge, an 870 was never released, only an 870M for laptops.

I believe a GTX 980 produces less heat than a GTX 870. I was told that my use of two 480 radiators was overkill. My 870s never get above 37 centigrade in a 27 degree room. I am replaced my 4770K with a 4790K over-clocked to 4400MHz.
Running Prime 95 In-place large FFTs, the cores get to 69, 71, 69, 65.
IntelBurnTest 74, 76, 73, 70.

GTX 980 has a TDP of 165 watts and the GTX 780 has a TDP of 250 watts. So the 980 caps out at ~66% of the power consumption, and thus will run cooler on the same cooling loop. I have a 360 rad and a 240 rad with a 4790K and a 780ti and my temps are pretty great. As Ita said, you should do just as well with 2x240mm fatmonkey.

Back