• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with memory timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

9ine

alright first let me explain what ive done and what has happened and then ill ask my question.

i have 1gig(2x512) of pc3200 ram and a p4 2.4c. i overclocked my cpu to 3ghz by changing my fsb from 200mhz to 250mhz. but before doing that i lowered the frequency setting in my bios to make the ram run at ddr333, that way when i raised the fsb to 250mhz, the ram would then be running at its original frequency ddr400 like its supposed to. now before doing all of this my memory timings were 3,3,3,8 but now they are 3,4,4,8.

is this what should have happened to the memory timings? and is it safe for me to set the memory timings to 3,3,3,8 like they were originally without changing my fsb or the frequency setting in the bios?

thanks

avalanche83 said:
That should be fine if it is at 200MHz on the divider.
whats the divider? :eh?: and do u mean setting the timings to 3,3,3,8 should be fine with 200mhz divider? sorry, i just need you to be a little bit more clear for me, as im a noob at this.

thanks

When you brought your ram down to 333mhz so it ended back at 400mhz after your overclock you used a divider to bring the ram down to the 333mhz level.

As long as your ram is back to the same speeds it was at when the timings were lower you should try to manually set them.

Are you saying you've never recovered a computer that was pushed to far and won't boot anymore?

Internal said:
Are you saying you've never recovered a computer that was pushed to far and won't boot anymore?
yes thats exactly what im saying. my first time doing any overclocking was within the past week or so.

and thanks for making things more clear for me. ill go check the divider and then change my memory timings.

Well keep in mind if you push your system too far it won't boot and you'll have to discharge the mobo (just unplug it from the wall for a minute) or you'll have to discharge your cmos back to default(removing cmos battery for a few minutes or jumpering the cmos erase pins).

GL

"Well keep in mind if you push your system too far it won't boot and you'll have to discharge the mobo (just unplug it from the wall for a minute) or you'll have to discharge your cmos back to default(removing cmos battery for a few minutes or jumpering the cmos erase pins)."

....Unless you have an Epox 9npa+sli
It does it by itself.........n i c e.......

the setting that i changed in the bios was the dram frequency to 320. after raising my fsb to 250, cpu-z shows that my ram is operating at 400mhz again so its normal speed at a 5:4 fsb:mem ratio. but in the bios the dram frequency still says 320. also in cpu-z its showing that my memory timings are 3,4,4,8. but in the bios when i disabled the automatic spd thing it showed my timings as 2.5,4,4,8.

The 320Mhz in the BIOS IS the divider. SPD is junk if you ask me, unless you don't OC. Try to set them at 3-3-3-8; it should boot and your RAM should be running at rated speed. Any questions, feel free to PM me since we have pretty close to the same board.

Back