• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with OC Athlon II X4 651k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OgnjenZR

Hello everyone. I am reading threads here for several days now and i would like to ask if anyone can help with overclocking this configuration if it is possible.

I have:
GA-A55M-S2HP
CPU FM1 AMD Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core 651K, 3GHz/4MB Black edition BOX 32nm
VGA AMD Radeon 6670 MSI 1GB/DDR5 dual fan
DIMM DDR3 4GB 1600MHz Kingston CL9
500W Chieftec CTG-500-80P
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO

I have chieftec full tower case with 4 fans inside 3x80mm and 1x92mm.

Thank you very much.

Looking in the manual from Gigabytes website for that motherboard, the manual begins to describe MB Intelligent Tweaker on page #25. Nothing particularly complicated there.

Then moving right on to the next page #26, the first option described is CPU Clock Ratio and since you have bought an unlocked upward multiplier cpu the 651K, you can bump the multiplier up to raise the cpu speed. Nothing to it with that multiplier unlocked upward 651K cpu. Raising the multiplier a couple of steps can probably be done without manually adding voltage to the cpu which adjustments are shown and described on page #28.

I would personally raise the multiplier by 1.0 or one step and then run Prime 95 in blend mode for at least 20 mins to see if the new overclock is stable even though only a small jump when raising cpu multiplier by only 1.0. While Prime 95 is running in blend mode, I would also have HWMonitor open on the desktop before startiing P95 blend stress testing so that HWMonitor free version can monitor Min/Max temps to see if the cpu is getting too hot.

Thst is it principally for any AMD cpu overclock with a multiplier that you can adjust upward beyond the default multiplier and you bought such cpu in the 651K which is what the K is showing.

I stay around the AMD forum section very regular. I wrote to someone the other day that since these AMD APUs have been released that I bet we had not had 15 and not more than 20 users even post a thing about this type APU and motherboard. It just is not happening. Why? I guess the majority are bought and used for HTPCs and as such are not being pushed dramatically. But you can get in your own motherboard manual and surprisingly everything seems well described and pretty straight forward.

Good luck to you and maybe someone will 'now' see the thread and may elaborate further. Never having owned a Gigabyte motherboard, I was pleased to see how easy the menu items for pushing cpu and video were laid out. I would not be lost at all in that motherboards bios.

Please put you system info in a "Sig" that appears at the bottom of every post you make and so travels with you. This is a common forum courtesy to give helpers quick reference as the threads get long sometimes. To do a Sig, find Quick Links at the op of the page, click on it and then click on Edit Signature. Supposedly you have access to this feature within one hour of making your second post. In other words, wait at least one hour after your second post to try it. And oh, you might want to include something about your OS.

I agree with everything RGone said. I would only suggest that before you try overclocking you run a 20 minute Prime95 stress test with Hardware Monitor open in the background at stock frequencies and voltages to check baseline temps. That Hyper TX3 evo cooler is not going to give top of the line cooling as it's a pretty small aftermarket heat sink.Then post back with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface. To attach a pic, crop and save the image with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Window appears, find the little paperclip icon at the top and click on it. That will bring up the file browser and upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

Thank you RGone and trents. I'v made my SIG and i'm gonna post screens later. In the meanwhile, going to read a manual. I will post results. This morning when i turned on the pc i've started aida64 to check temperature, in the meanwhile i made coffee, and temperature was 11 C when i checked. I've done prime95 test for almost 3 hours few days ago and highest temperature was about 60 C. It very hot outside, about 42 C, in the room 30 C.

@OgnjenZR, I will say this from the very beginning so that we stay on the same page. We use HWMonitor (free version) for checking temps. It is free and we have experience with it. We know its' quirks and oddities and have seen probably 1000's of boards that had their temp reported by HWMonitor. So the truth is Aida64 temps will mean nothing to us. We have no reference. You can use whatever you want in your day to day testing but any advice we could give you about temps, would need to be done with HWMonitor readings

We cannot use every temp monitoring program and become good at it, so we basically stick to one that we see day in and day out. On my own rigs I use Open Hardware Monitor, but here in the AMD cpu section, I speak in terms of HWMonitor free version.

I say this because it is true and no sense in making screen captures that will not mean much to us overall about temps anyway. We stick to freeware since most seem aimed that direction and all can use it for temps that are relative.

Thanks man and good luck testing. RGone...ster.

Ive downloaded the HWMonitor free version as soon as i read the posts.Prime95 is running and HWMonitor is next to it.

Also download and install CPU-z if you have not already. One of our standard overclocking tools that gives a wealth of info about hardware and bios settings.

I have it. Seems like my TMPIN1 temperatures are very high. What is tmpin1?
tmpin1.PNG
And this is cpu temps at 25 mins of prime95:
base clock.PNG

I have it. Seems like my TMPIN1 temperatures are very high. What is tmpin1?
View attachment 114024
And this is cpu temps at 25 mins of prime95:
View attachment 114025

Don't know but TMPIN2 is probably your CPU (socket) temp. TMPIN1 is a motherboard sensor but it's anybody's guess as to where the sensor is. While under load, I would touch the NB heatsink with your finger tip. If it's painfully hot to the touch it may be that one. I would also do the same with the mosfets because your motherboard doesn't have heat sinks on the mosfets. Otherwise, I would ignore it unless the system is unstable. The software doesn't always report those motherboard sensor temps correctly.

I had couple of try's but as far as I remember I couldn't find stable clock. In the meantime one guy offered me some nice money for the configuration so I switched to the 4670k. Keep trying mate, 651K is amazing CPU.

cinebenchmark.JPG cuocd.JPG

I have Asus F1A75-V PRO mobo what I did was raise the cpu core voltage a bit to a 1.6 V multiplier at 3.5

Min Vcore = 1.632Volts
Max Vcore = 1.656Volts
Avg Vcore = 1.639Volts
Current Vcore when capture made was 1.644Volts.

That would seem at least 0.14 volts over the generally considered safe voltage for ambient air cooling and ambient air on a water filled radiator. Maybe if using DICE for benching runs but I certainly would think in my own mind I was abusing my cpu at that 1.6+ Vcore at only 3.5Ghz cpu speed. But it is always strokes for folks.
RGone...ster.

Jcgr,

Please start your own thread rather than building on one someone else started and then dropped.

Please download and install the standard OC tools we use around here so we can all be on the same page: CPU-z, HWMonitor (non pro version) and Prime95. Since this CPU started life as an APU you might also want to download and install AMD Overdrive for temp monitoring since HWMonitor has trouble reporting temps accurately on the AMD APUs. This CPU is a crippled first generation APU. The integrated GPU was disabled.

Last edited:
TRENTS :
I did not meant to interfere with any of your methods I was just trying to help.. I have a h60 corsair water cooler and. This processor's max temp under load was 52 celcius its all im going to say!! Thak you for the info!: Next time i will post a new thread!!!

This processor's max temp under load was 52 celcius its all im going to say!!
Those chips don't run hot, even though 52c isn't hot at 1.6+ voltage like we said above you're skating on thin ice! Anyone that wants to keep their cpu alive for long is not recommended to run voltage anywhere near that.

It almost sounds to me like your motherboard is giving out. It's a pretty weak board to start with and your temps are already in the maximum zone. If you want to work on this further I suggest creating your own thread for it. One other suggestion is to use amd od TO MONITOR YOUR TEMPS. I know some software had issues with FM1 and didn't report temps correctly

Back