• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with old 9500gt!!Newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uthvag

Hello,

I have an old 9500 GT card 1 GB

Core clock 550 MHz
Memory clock 350 MHz

I am currently playing witcher 2 with it.

With low settings i get 17-19 FPS
but when i overclock it using MSI afterburner to 625MHz and 400 MHZ it runs well for about 15 min at 23-24 fps and then

the nvidia driver crashes and it says that it has successfully restarted (for low setting it is stable when the frequency is 600MHz and 385MHz)

Normal temp -51-52 C

After overclocking(and testing using kombuster or heaven) (min 30 min) - 68-69 C and it never has exceeded 70 C

In medium setting the system is unstable even at 600 and 395 MHz overclock
BUT stable when it is 575MHz and 380MHz.

but using the same setting(600 and 380) i can run kombuster stress test at 21-25 FPS for more thank 30 min before i close it due to sheer boredom

Can anyone explain it to me why it(the crashes) happens?

System -i5 2400k with dh61ww 8GB RAM (1333mhz i think) dedicated video mem (app.) 4 GB
Memory used in medium setting -768 MB /3702 MB(app.)
Memory used in low setting -568 MB/3702 Mb(app.)

Generally Gpu temp never increases beyond 68 C

I am new to this forum.So I am sorry if I have asked some silly obvious questions :eek:

Thank you!!

Welcome! Its usually due to unstable overclock, atleast in my experience, even though it might be stable for those 30 minutes, it might not when you play the game. It could be of other factors also.

When overclocking Gpu's I have found that every game/stress test/benchmark is different. What may work on one may not work on another.

Thanks!!

Does anyone know the most stable overclock for this gpu? The temp is not a problem .

Thanks!!

Does anyone know the most stable overclock for this gpu? The temp is not a problem .
The reality is, every Gpu is different, what works on your card for a specific game may not work on another 9600gt. I can tell you I have a pair of Evga 7600 gt cards, they both clock to different speeds and will not run at the same settings.

Back