• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

r2142

Registered
Ok really simple question here is I have some experience with overclocking but I am having issues with getting the most out of it that I feel that I should get. Any suggestions would help. so here is my system setup

MOBO > Asus Crosshair IV Formula /Bios 2101
CPU & Cooler > AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black / Cooler I dont remember but it is upgraded
MEMORY > Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9.
POWER SUPPLY > Corsair 750W.
VIDEO CARD > EVGA Nvidia GTX 560 Ti.
HDDs/Optical drives > 1 Vertex 4 128G and one DVD/RW
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Keyboard and mouse only
O/S > Win 7 ultimate 64-bit
Case > Gigabyte 3D Mars Full Tower

You are not giving us much of anything to go off of to help you. We know nothing about what frequencies and voltages you have tried or what kind of core and CPU socket temps you are getting.

Please start with this: Attach pics with your next post of CPU-z tabs, "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". To attach pics with a post, click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window and then when the Advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon at the top. The rest will be obvious. Before you do try to attach the pics, however, first crop and save them to disc using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories.

Please attach pics directly with your post instead of linking them. Besides, the info in that link is missing the stuff that shows up in the CPU-z "SPD" tab.

Ok sorry here are pictures

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    34.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 68
Your HT Link and NB frequecies at 1927 mhz are low. The Thuban core CPUs will typically allow you to bump those up to around 2800 mhz with a little extra voltage support for the CPUNB (say, 1.25-1.3 volts). That really improves memory performance.

Next, compare your current memory timings in the CPU-z "Memory" tab to what the ram manufacturer recommends in the CPU-z "SPD" tab XMP-1600 column. You will see that your tRC is too aggressive. This could cause instability.

Also, your CPU core voltage at 1.404 is probably inadequate for overclocking that CPU much higher. Those 1100T CPUs will often exceed 4.0 ghz with good cooling.

The most important thing right now for you to do now is a stress test to check for temps and stability. Download and install Prime95 and HWMonitor if you have not. Since we don't know what brand and model of cooler you have we don't know how adequate it is for overclocking. Keeping temps down are crucial for overclocking.

Open HWMonitor on the desktop and then run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Post back with a pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can check core and CPU socket temps and CPU core voltage under load. If core temps exceed 60c or the CPUTIN (may be given a generic label like: TMPINx) exceeds 70c, stop the test and report back with results and an attached pic of that HWMonitor interface.

HWMonitor Results

Ran for 20 minutes and here is results in HWMonitor and new shots of CPUID. BTW I only changed a few things in BIOS and left voltages and other settings on AUTO so the MB could manage. (felt it was safer that way)

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    32.6 KB · Views: 62
Clarification on CPU cooler

Trents,

I found the model of the CPU cooler that I am using

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm

For HWMonitor to be showing 0 temps on the 6 cores of the cpu means you have core unlocking turned on when you have a cpu that has no cores locked. You need to disable core unlocking.

For HWMonitor to be showing 0 temps on the 6 cores of the cpu means you have core unlocking turned on when you have a cpu that has no cores locked. You need to disable core unlocking.

I fixed that already and am running 20 min test again

HWMonitor Results corrected

I corrected the CPU monitoring and here is that results

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    25.4 KB · Views: 59
Your temps are maxed out already. If it's not stable then you will likely need to lower your CPU speed a tad until you get better cooling.

Your temps are maxed out already. If it's not stable then you will likely need to lower your CPU speed a tad until you get better cooling.

You can say that again about the temperatures. Not yet to 4.0Ghz and showing a max of 1.44Vcore and his CPU core temps are already 58c does not make for anything like an optimal cooling situation.

First of all, please create a "Sig" that has all your system info concerning make/model of important parts: Case, PSU, Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Video Card. You mentioned that stuff early on but it got buried like it always does and it will travel with every post you make if you create a Signature by clicking on Quick Links and then Edit Signature. This is a common courtesy on the forum to those helping you.

Concerning a cooler, what we would recommend would be tempered by the dimensions of your case and your budget. How wide is your case across the top and how much do you want to /can you to? The top of the line air cooler like the Notua D14 costs about $80. Even better, a Corsair H100 water kit is about $110.

Results

So I did more playing with the bios last night and I got some results but not sure I am going the right direction.
Here are the pics of the results

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    39.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
i have little thuban oc experience, my last amd oc was a denab. my thoughts, your OC looks good. when you make changes, it is important you run the benchmark for 20m and then attach hwmonitor/cpuz screen shots; that's all we need.

what TIM (thermal paste) are you using? did you apply the TIM as suggested for that particular CPU (the 1100t)? have you considered a re-seat on the cpu cooler, this might give insight to missing TIM contact and may offer you a few 2-5c temp difference.

have you thoroughly checked around the web and here, for other OC's done on the 1100T to see how yours compares and what others are doing with that cpu?

I think you're close to maxed, better cooling might help but that is a $60 cooler and should work decently i'd think.

Thank you is in order

I wish to thank you all for your assistance with my learning a few things with my system. I have been off and on these last few days with tweaking my bios and my multipliers and my frequencies. I have definitely improved the system response over all with the 2800 on the FSB and the Windows performance index went from 7.6 to 7.8 on memory alone.
I am not stable on the CPU over 4k with temperature climbing too fast so I ordered another CPU cooler today and will see from there. If I dont get the numbers I am hoping for with that I was thinking about the closed loop water cooler. I know nothing about them so if anyone can suggest one that is better than another please let me know.

R2142

Update

Changed out some fans and cleaned my existing CPU cooler fins and got stable over 4k Here are the pics of the results.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    27.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 42
Almost without fail...

...without fail you will get a cooler and struggle for what? Another 200Mhz? The more I dig into this stuff with AMD which I have run along with my Intel that I benched with up until about 3 year ago, I find that last few Mhz is not worth it.

You write >> temperature climbing too fast so I ordered another CPU cooler today << well what did you order? Most of the really good Air-coolers require removing the mobo to install the HSF assembly.

If HSF has exposed direct contact heat pipes then you will need to use the best method for installing the HScompound or you may have temps that don't change much.

Anyway, you are exactly on the borderline of too much heat, but you will almost never load the system like P95 Blend does. I can do it with video rendering bu5 little else really pushes my rigs.

Good luck with the new cooler and seems the 'house-cleaning' was a splendid operation.

Last edited:
Back