• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With PSU Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crisis88m

Registered
Hi Guys,

I having an issue with my computer, after I shut it down and I go to start it back up later ill hit the power button on the case, nothing will happen. I have to turn the power switch on the psu off wait a couple sec and then turn it back on again. After that I can turn the comp on with the power button on the case. Reason im asking is because im upgrading my comp and I dont want to use the psu if its faulty. Its a Corsair 1000 watt psu, dont know what model. Currently on other side of the world right now and dont have access to the comp.
comp specs are:
Phenom 2 940
2x 4870x2 Video Cards
1000 Watt Corsair PSU
4 gb DDR2 Corsair Dominator Ram
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe MB

I biult this comp on cyber power pc when the 4870x2 first came out. Around 4 or 5 years ago.

Here's what I would do:

Unplug the PSU from everything inside the case.
Leave it plugged into the wall, with the switch ON.
Jumper the green wire in the motherboard connector to any black wire with a paperclip (Yee olde Paperclippe Teste)
Let it run a bit.
Remove paperclip.
Wait 10m.
Put paperclip back in.
Does the PSU start? If it does, it's likely not a PSU issue. If it doesn't, it's a PSU issue.
Starting doesn't completely rule out it being a PSU problem, but it helps.

Given the five year warranty I'd be somewhat surprised if it was failing, but it's possible.

Last edited:
Ill have to take notes on this as I wont be home for a bit yet but hopefully its not the psu really dont want to fork out more cash on upgrading. Wife is getting a little mad with finding computer parts on the porch. HEHE

Back