• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with RAM timings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson69

So I picked up 16GB of G.skill RipJawsX DDR3-1866 RAM for my FX8300 and I need some help understanding and setting up the RAM in the BIOS. See in the bios everything is on auto and I am not so sure everything on auto is the best way to go. Again that is a good question do I need to play with the RAM timings? And is so then I need a lot of help.
So in my bios is goes like this.
TCL,TRCD,TRP,TRC,TWR,TRRD,TWTR,TCWL,TFAW,TREF,TRFC0,TRFC1,TRWTTO,TWRRD,TWRWR,TRDRD.
So here is my question what do you set them at? I know from looking around that there are 4 settings (On my DDR4 R3 setup) that when set in the bios the RAM is much faster and more stable as well. able to hit 4.0Ghz. and the settings I know about are,
CAS Latency TRCDRD,TRCDWR,TRP,TRAS all these I was able to find in the BIOS on the R3 system.

So basically I need help setting up the RAM timings on the RipJawsX DDR3 Please.
Thank You.

BIOS.jpg

Use the XMP/DOCP profile... set it and go.

Chicken! LOL

Some basic starting points
tRAS=CL+tRCD + tRP
tRC=tRAS+CL
tFAW=tRRD x 4
tREFI=RAM speed [1/2 DDR] x 7.8 will give you the JEDEC standard Ex: DDR3 1600 tREFI= 800 x 7.8=6240 Higher can be faster, but it isn't plug and play.

Some basic guidelines (on air)
Voltages Frequencies
CPU NB Clock 1.34v-1.45v 2500 MHz-2700 MHz
HT Link Clock 1.20v-1.35v 2600 MHz-3000 MHz
DDR3 mem Clock 1.80v-2.00v 1866 MHz and up

I would add that if you have a spare HDD or SSD do a clean install of your OS for memory tweaking, so if it borks the OS you don't lose everything. Memory OC failures love to beat up the boot, and there is always a fair chance of getting the dreaded "BOOTMGR.EXE File Missing Or Corrupt. Place your installation media in the CD/DVD Drive and restart your computer. Press F8 for Advanced Startup Options and select Startup Repair", which is frequently followed by "Windows could not repair your computer. Contact your System Administrator."

There are 2 profiles for that and only one number that changes lol. I have tried them both very little change at all. Was thinking that maybe tighten up the settings I though G.Skill RipJawsX were the fastest RAM I could get just don't seem that fast lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Chicken! LOL

Some basic starting points
tRAS=CL+tRCD + tRP
tRC=tRAS+CL
tFAW=tRRD x 4
tREFI=RAM speed [1/2 DDR] x 7.8 will give you the JEDEC standard Ex: DDR3 1600 tREFI= 800 x 7.8=6240 Higher can be faster, but it isn't plug and play.

Some basic guidelines (on air)
Voltages Frequencies
CPU NB Clock 1.34v-1.45v 2500 MHz-2700 MHz
HT Link Clock 1.20v-1.35v 2600 MHz-3000 MHz
DDR3 mem Clock 1.80v-2.00v 1866 MHz and up

I would add that if you have a spare HDD or SSD do a clean install of your OS for memory tweaking, so if it borks the OS you don't lose everything. Memory OC failures love to beat up the boot, and there is always a fair chance of getting the dreaded "BOOTMGR.EXE File Missing Or Corrupt. Place your installation media in the CD/DVD Drive and restart your computer. Press F8 for Advanced Startup Options and select Startup Repair", which is frequently followed by "Windows could not repair your computer. Contact your System Administrator."

HOLY oh man you lost me at some basic starting points. :confused::confused:

But thank you it is very informative now I just need a nerd to tell a dummy what all this means is all. It's like reading an instruction manual from an ikea dreser.

Here you go https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf Everything in my post is from here. It helps to download it to a separate computer so you can refer to it while you're in your BIOS. :thup:

They have one for the AM3 (Deneb/Thuban) package, too. https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

AMD's AOD utility. It's handy for working within Windows so you don't have to constantly reboot for every setting change. It can get you pretty close before you change BIOS settings. It saved me a lot of time on some problem chips. LOL http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/amd-overdrive-download,1.html

Yes I have, they do seem to be working. Thing is the BIOS screen shows a set of timings on the left that are not in-line with the XMP Profiles even when set this is confusing me.
If the timings on the left are the ones that are set then in XMP then why are the numbers off? Or am I missing something? I know I am 99.99% wrong this is why I am asking.

Yes I have, they do seem to be working. Thing is the BIOS screen shows a set of timings on the left that are not in-line with the XMP Profiles even when set this is confusing me.
If the timings on the left are the ones that are set then in XMP then why are the numbers off? Or am I missing something? I know I am 99.99% wrong this is why I am asking.

Post a screenshot of CPU-Z memory so we can take a look and see if it is set correctly.

Back