• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NITRO>XI<

Hi all first of all great site! I am building my first pc and need some help on ram for my mobo. First of all the mobo is a MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 socket. On the mobo's specs it says this for the ram : Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*/1800*/2133* (OC) DRAM, 16GB Max. Ok so originaly i was going to put some 1600mhz ddr3 in but the way i read these specs tells me that the max i can put in is 1333mhz then i have to oc it to get 1600mhz then 1800mhz etc etc. Is this correct the way im reading this? Or can i put 1600mhz strait in? Any help appreciated as its holding up my build as i cant decide what ram to use. Thanks! :confused:

Not exactly. It has to do with CPU specifications and JEDEC specifications.

I don't know what the current specifications are but 1.5v and 1333 were for DDR 3 originally IIRC.

So short answer: Yes to make the memory run at specified speeds.

Most boards will have a setting for 800 MHz (DDR3-1600) but not the speeds above that. However, you'll need to make that setting manually - the BIOS won't automatically put it there regardless of what RAM you have.

On a slightly different note, given a choice between DDR3-1600CL9 and DDR3-1333CL7 generally speaking you're better off with the 1333 RAM and tighter timings. However, if you're NOT getting a 'BE' CPU the 1600 is better so you have some room to adjust the reference clock ...

Back