• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with SSD settings for Sabertooth Fx990 r2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irekski

MOBO: Sabertooth fx990 r2.0
GPU: Palit stormxdual 750ti
RAM: 2x4 1333 kingston
PROC: FX-6300 3.5ghz
PS: 500w silverstone 80+
1HDD
SSD: Kingston 300 sddnow 120gb
all in optimized settings/default settings bios

issue:
counted boot time would be 30-50 seconds upon pressing power button. SSD is set to AHCI, also noticed that on the easy mode bios. I do not see the SSD on boot priority icons where you can easily move the icons to the side which you want to boot first. But if I press F8 i do see it there. this is also a clean install

*please transfer thread if needed*

Last edited:
So you installed Win8 but didn't have ahci set in the bios for your sad right? And now you want to change it?
http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-8-after-installation/ might help. I'm not sure as I run Win7 and it isn't so complicated for Win7.

Otherwise are you sure you have your ssd plugged I to the correct slot? MOBO manual should tell you which is the first in boot priority, and if you don't want to do that you should still be able to set it as 1st boot disk in the bios. That's all I've got :) squeezed dry. I hope it helps

Edit : I see you did try to set the boot priority. Never-ending that stuff then :) sorry

it does say p0:ssdname and yeah based on the bios it's in port 1 though. asus_04.jpg
basing on the picture it should be connected to the 2nd port from the left top row. right beside the white port. also on settings it is definitely set as AHCI..

A couple of things that the big boys will need to know (maybe). Was it set to ahci for the installation or afterwards.... It makes a difference. Also you could check the device manager under "storage devices" I think and check if the ahci controller is working. It should be listed with no yellow triangles or anything. And if all else fails, maybe clear the cmos?

cable is practically brand new though. came with the board.. I just took it off it's plastic.

as AHCI, it was already set upon going into bios right after OS install.

That too, I always forget to check the cable :) if you've got one that you are Certain works ( as in taking it from a part that you currently have working and KNOW is working) then you could try that as well. Cables can be dead on arrival as well.

Now I don't ha e this board or know anything about it so I'm just telling you general troubleshooting steps that most folks would do, there may be a known issue with you board and the ssd as well. I'll take a quick look and post back if I find anything, but you might want to check also

Edit: if I understand your issue correctly it seems similar to this one :
http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-...drive-shows-bios-but-not-disk-management.html

It seems like they were doing some trouble shooting from in the OS that might help. I didn't read to see if they found the solution though. Rereading your OP may e it won't be helpful.... Can you see the drive inside the OS?

Last edited:
@ irekski

Actually I think you are chasing in a circle worrying about boot times at least with an AMD system as I know it.

There are many things going on when you push the power button. I just shutdown my CHV-Z board and timed the REboot to the desktop. It took 37 seconds. I don't consider that either long or short today. I know I have a Raid Array that causes the boot process to first give me a chance to enter the bios. Then the Raid Rom (bios) comes up and then after that another chance to enter the bios and then to a black screen then the windows flags and and then a delay there and then finally to the desktop.

So if I did not have raid probably 8 to 10 seconds less time for me to get to windows desktop. I have my bios Usb setup to enable and initialize ALL the Usb ports during booting and this probably adds about 5 to 7 seconds to my booting time. But it is "how" I have it setup.

But here is the real great part. Even with a very healthy overclock my CHV-z will sleep. I click on the windows start button and choose SLEEP and it goes to sleep. Touch the space bar on my keyboard and in about 3 seconds I am back at the desktop ready to GO. I do not worry about boot times at all.

How to Speed Up Windows 8 Booting Startup Time? Even Faster Performance

RGone...

I've always though it had to be set to AHCI before OS install. I maybe wrong but that's the way I would do it.

Yes and if it were not set AHCI at operating system install there would have been a BSOD and non-boot to windows until there was user intervention in the registry. Nothing like that was done that we know about. Plus Asus has changed the default setting of the SATA drives to AHCI mode for the R2.0 boards as I understand it. So we need not be hassling about AHCI before or after the operating system installation. Or I see no reason for such process.

RGone...

Like RGONE has said, my boot with my CHVz board and single Samsung Evo drive is about 20 - 30 second. I have never timed it. I can say this if I am benching and boot both my FX rig first and then my I7 rig right after the I7 will be in windows before the windows loading screen for my FX has faided same can be said when I had the A10 7850K in that box before I got the Intel setup. I can't tell you why the FX boot time is longer it is something I just have gotten used to.

Back