• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With Watercooling Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Somebooty

TL;DR: I don't know if I should go with bending or using fittings for angles. I don't know how many fittings to use and if all of the components are enough to build a loop.

Last edited:
Bending the tube is a lot nicer on the pocket for one, you can get several meters of tube for the price of a single fitting.

More fittings = more chance for leaks

You need to purchase a lot of fittings as you won’t fully know the route that the tubing will go until you have everything in the case. You can plan a route out ahead but I think I have changed my plan every time I have done hardline tubing for one reason or another.

Bending the tube isn’t too hard, I think it took me just a couple of practice bends before I started on the system. There’s also plenty of YouTube videos out there to watch.

As you can tell I am more a fan of bending the tube rather than having a lot of fittings in there.

If this is your first water cooling endeavor I would look at flexible tubing, I personally use rubber.

This simply sets you up for success your first time out.

Less fittings, no hassle with bending and you can still make a nice job of it, the compression fittings now a days are all but bullet proof

Flexible tubing is also easier to break down for upgrades and maintenance.

Yeah, but it's also a dream build and rubber isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing, especially considering the case with three glass panels ^^. I guess I'll try out bending... I just don't know how many fittings I'll roughly need and which kinds.

I want to be able to drain the loop as well. Also do I use the compression fittings when attaching to things like the pump and the rads and the blocks or do I use other fittings?

Orders will arrive at least 10 days after I buy them online so I want to plan ahead and yet not overbuy or underbuy as this will obviously delay the build even further.

I can see you won't listen to reason, however I admire your enthusiasm

Plan the best you can, yes compression will be how you connect everything and you will want a drain valve at the lowest point possible.

It is inevitable if you try to buy exact you will need something and have to wait, be patient, take your time

Don't start stressing out if things go exactly the way you planned,

Most of all just have fun with it , did a copper tube build a few years back and it was a blast.

You can have a lot of fun if you don't get frustrated, keep it fun and don't set unreasonable deadlines

best of luck

Thank you so much for that. I'll try. I usually don't completely suck when it comes to handywork but I do get a little bit frustrated so I'm thankful for what you said.

All I can say is, keep the same company for hardline fittings and tubing. Some mix and matching might have compatibility issues. There are bending kits that you can purchase to ease the hardline pain.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call the hardline fittings compression fittings since the compression fittings are used with soft or rubber tubing so there is no confusion there.

Here is a nice video to start with since I'm not sure where your knowledge level is for custom liquid cooling. Also look for those hardline and how to bend videos on the tube.

Back