• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Mac advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rbstern

Registered
I've spent the last 30 years avoiding Apple products. I admire their design and quality, but I've never needed computing products with their particular strengths and weaknesses.

Unfortunately, as my business has evolved (web development and hosting), I'm running into Mac related client issues more often. So I'm going to add a Mac to my office. I usually keep a Linux PC running 24x7 in my office for monitoring other systems (via HTML based scripts running in Firefox). I'm thinking of switching that function to a Mac, running the same scripts in Safari. This is light duty work, so it doesn't have to be a potent machine. I'm thinking an older, used iMac or Mini Mac, which will allow me to occasionally hop onto that machine and better understand/troubleshoot problem reports from clients with a Mac.

The only apps I'll likely run will be Mail and Safari. Anybody have experience with these computers, from the generation with the Core 2 Duo Intel, or earlier i3/i5 models? Are there any OS pitfalls I have to watch out (specific bad versions), or other gotchas? Also, any surprises about getting these boxes to work on a LAN with a half dozen PCs and various appliances?

Any feedback appreciated.

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago when I started a general practitioner computer repair business out of my home in my retirement years. I bought a used Mac mini off of ebay for not much so I could get acquainted with Macs and be able to service Mac user customers, which I get occasionally.

The most important issue to consider is the Mac OS version. Get a machine whose hardware is new enough to be able to run the current latest Mac OS and that will likely be compatible with future OS X releases in the near future. Keep it to no more than 3 years old as far as the hardware is concerned and two years old would be wiser.

Thanks, trents.

Another wrinkle: Just came across some Hackintosh instructions. Looks like there are some fairly refined processes and support software for installing OS X on any compatible Intel PC. May play with that before I spend anything on Apple hardware. My most pressing need is to recreate the OS X/Safari/Mail software environment.

I tried the Hackintosh route with no success a couple of years ago. You have to have just the right hardware to pull it off. Unless, that is, the process has been significantly improved.

I think it is better, based on what I see. Small time investment to find out.

Was that a question or a statement? And if a statement, can you be more specific?

Is there some reason VM's arent an option? You will probably still have to buy the OS, but it appears possible.

Question for OP, but I can still help whoever

Thanks for the offer.

I actually just gathered my hardware together. For this experiment, I have:

Asus P5G41T-M LX PLUS
Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
4GB DDR3
Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA drive
LG IDE DVD/CD drive (also have a SATA version handy, if I need to swap)

Machine currently doesn't have a video card, but I have some old spares in the parts bin that I can use (HD 6670, GTS 250, 8400 GS)

I'm doing this without access to a Mac, so any guidance is appreciated.
Core 2

Thanks for the offer.

I actually just gathered my hardware together. For this experiment, I have:

Asus P5G41T-M LX PLUS
Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
4GB DDR3
Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA drive
LG IDE DVD/CD drive (also have a SATA version handy, if I need to swap)

Machine currently doesn't have a video card, but I have some old spares in the parts bin that I can use (HD 6670, GTS 250, 8400 GS)

I'm doing this without access to a Mac, so any guidance is appreciated.
Core 2

I have a guide (tutorial) I put together for myself which will help in your case since you don't have access to a Mac. However, it is based on X58 motherboards but in theory should be suitable for that rig you're putting together. You will def need a vid card since I'm sure youre aware that CPU doesnt have integrated gfx. I will post the tut up later with a link. The rig in your sig would be suitable for a Hackintosh as well... Check this guide out I posted on InsanelyMac here
S/N: I would recommend every hard disk peripheral you use to be SATA not IDE for consistency purposes.

I have a guide (tutorial) I put together for myself which will help in your case since you don't have access to a Mac. However, it is based on X58 motherboards but in theory should be suitable for that rig you're putting together. You will def need a vid card since I'm sure youre aware that CPU doesnt have integrated gfx. I will post the tut up later with a link. The rig in your sig would be suitable for a Hackintosh as well... Check this guide out I posted on InsanelyMac here
S/N: I would recommend every hard disk peripheral you use to be SATA not IDE for consistency purposes.

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing it.

The rig in my sig is my everyday workstation. It shall remain entirely Win 7 for as long as possible, and then to Win 10.

The hardware I am experimenting with is purely spare (was my workstation about five years ago). I don't intend to be a regular Mac user. I just need it for occasional testing/troubleshooting.

The rig in my sig is my everyday workstation. It shall remain entirely Win 7 for as long as possible, and then to Win 10.

The hardware I am experimenting with is purely spare (was my workstation about five years ago). I don't intend to be a regular Mac user. I just need it for occasional testing/troubleshooting.

No prob... Both of my rigs in my sig are multi-boot so I can go back and forth from Win to Mac when necessary and still use my own preferred hardware instead of having to settle w/ proprietary parts integrated within the computers Apple manufactures. I will post that tutorial in a little while

What about a Hackintosh VM? Dual boot is so old school unless you want direct access to hardware.

Not all things are created equally when using VMware. For example, I tried playing an SNES emulator through VMware, not as good of an experience as the real thing, ijs.

Check out the link to the tutorial I posted here. Let me know if it helps

Back