• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need new caps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK guys. Based on your information, I bought:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/UHW0J182MPD/493-6974-ND/3664440

Long life of up to 10,000 hours at 105c. The highest ripple of the bunch, proper lead spacing and so on. With shipping, I'll get 10 for just over $10 if the package is less than 14 ounces. More if it weighs more.

I think that you guys saved me from an eBay catastrophy so, Thank you. I decided to stay away from the 1800uf 16v caps that I already have because they were an eBay purchase and they did not fix the project that I bought them for.

Now, here's punch in the gut.
I need a very cheap but reliable soldering iron. I have a dollar store special that I have used for years but... I just need to get a respecitable iron. I really only do these types of projects less than half a dozen times/year so a high dollar station is not justifiable when I've made my dollar iron work.

What are some good brand names for irons? What should I avoid within those brands?

I want a good name brand and then I will probably choose something just above thier bottom product line.

P.S. I've had this switch for over a year and not used it so my need to hurry is very minimal. I'm still looking to get some high CFM low DBa fans to replace what's in there which is what started all of this.

Whats your budget Don? i have one of these and it's great but not sure if it fits your budget.

That is well under my budget! Wow! I'd have to read for a lifetime to learn how to fiddle with all of those knobs and what not. I'll sit on this for a bit but I'll probably buy it beofre the day is out.

If you are using one of those bottom of the barrel 30W pens that run 2 to 5 USD i use bare copper wire 6 or 8 gauge what ever fits in the shaft and cut the tip to close to what i want
As far as a quality iron goes i have been recommended this unit https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EU-...older-station-220V-50W-5-pcs/32786830474.html (T12 not T13 tips)
The unit will accept 110 mains voltage, not sure it comes with a US plug but you can just splice the wire

If you want a good brand name Hakko, but then you are gonna spend $$$$

If you need a de-soldering station i have been recommended to get a ZD-915 which i did along with some spare parts which i did get and used once so far

Last edited:
Whats your budget Don? i have one of these and it's great but not sure if it fits your budget.

I have one like this and it's been great over the years since I've had it. Only real caveat I know of would be to get a few spare soldering pens for it. You'll need 'em sooner or later because the body of the pen is plastic and the parts of the pen that screws together for assemblying it will tend to get weak and crack over time due to the heat. This is the link to the one I got, from the seller I bought it from (yescomusa) : https://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-Electr...Heater-862D-/390986496629?hash=item5b089c7a75 and you'd probrably want to get at least one of these along with the station if you get it.

The station itself isn't difficult to figure out, just a dial and a switch for soldering, two dials and a switch for the airwand. .

Thank you all very much. I have the caps on order as well as a soldering/de-soldering kit.

Thank you all very much. I have the caps on order as well as a soldering/de-soldering kit.
Just a suggestion Don, if you have a spare dead board or gpu. Practice on that before trying to re-cap the one you intended. It's not all that hard to do but a little practice helps.

I've recapped computer motherboards before but it was pure luck that I got caps that worked and it was a real butcher job using my cheap iron. I bought the iron that you suggested and armed with knowledge on the caps I don't see that I will have any real problem. I have been reading up on the proper way to solder and I think that I understand how I've been burning my boards and how to eliviate that. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll also be putting in my new fans and this switch should help me learn how to VLAN in no time.

(Referencing the OP which states that this is a Ciso 3560 PoE-24 switch that I got for $30.)

Well good luck and patience, I wish for you Don let us know how it all turns out.

Well good luck and patience, I wish for you Don let us know how it all turns out.
Will do. I plan to do a write up of the cap replacement and fan upgrade. It will be a few weeks before I even start.

Back