• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Pro Help Please FP Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

Hi I have a "QUIK SILVER2-CMT" mobo

From many hours of research on the net I believe "FIC" made this mobo
for compaq (oem) sometime around 2001

The problem is that the front panel connections for stuff like the power switch, reset switch led's etc are not marked, well 3 are the rest are not and Im not sure of the configuration, this is the first time Ive been stumped trying to wire the FP

Ive literally spent over 6 hours looking for info, some of the best info was found here of coarse: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464515&highlight=QUIK+SILVER2-CMT

but not good enough to figure out the FP connections, does anyone have a secret to figuring these out, I downloaded every single socket-a mobo.pdf manual from FIC and looked through them hopeing I could unravel the mystery or find a pattern but Im still unsure.......... and im afraid I may short circuit or destroy the board if I get those connections wrong

help

Can you take a picture of the motherboard and the FP connector area and the front panel connections of the compaq case?

To my understanding, compaq tends to use an easier to modify connector to use standard aftermarket motherboard than you can with a dell.. which uses a ribbon style cable for nearly most of their cases.

heh heh if i had the compaq case that came with this mobo this post would not exist

in my past experiance w/compaq pc's they use a block 2pins wide by 6 or 8 pins long
so it looks like a long rectangle and they mount the pins in that block which simply slides down onto the mobo pins in the proper configuration

I purchased this mobo from our classies, Ive never had a problem with the FP connectors
before but they are normaly silkscreened w/the info needed right next to the pins

unfortunately only half of these are marked I will try to take a close up of the pins when i get home from work

would there be a way w/ a multi meter to isolate which pins are what and find the Power switch?

FIC confirmed they are the makers of QUIK SILVER2-CMT but they will not support the mobo because its oem for compaq and they say they wont support it....

I called compaq and they say its too old that they dont have the pinout information

how in the hell can this be, Ive found pinouts for much older boards than this many times.

is there no way to conqueror this?

someone has got to be able to know find or help please???

So far this is all the information Ive gathered

Sticker on Motherboard
KQ21B29979 QUIKSILVER2

Silk Screened onto the PCB between the PCI slots is the mobo name
QUIK SILVER2-CMT

Compaq / HP
Part# 262255-001

Replacement part#
227954-002

also they may have been put into these compaq/hp models

7000T-7QSM11, 7104CA, 7110US, 7000Z-QSM, 7000Z-7QSME2

Last edited:
I'd try a multi-meter on them to see what pops up. You'd think all the other pins would be dead except the power pins. It's not like you have any random two pins. Even with OEM boards chances are pretty good the pins are built in pairs so if it's not 1-2 then try 3-4, then 5-6, etc ... :shrug:

I thought maybe if I do a continuity test from the PSU header to the FP header and find and mark all the grounds, then start looking for 5v or ? and mark them

then use logic to electrocute myself :D

Ill let ya know how it goes if I live ;)

Back