• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need res suggestion, since mine keeps leaking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SHStormont

Registered
Currently I have the "Danger Den HDPE 5 1/4" Bayres":

yhst-65556269779593_2012_27653008

I was having problems with the res leaking around the fill port (even after making sure it was real tight). I have one in, one out, and one plugged port. At first I thought the issue was with the orientation of the in/out flow, so I reversed it. Now I'm back to having the same problem with leaking around the fill plug.

Am I filling the res too full? Is this model just prone to leaking at that spot? Any suggestions for a better 5 1/4" res?

Current build in an Armor TT case:

D-Tek FuZion CPU block
DFI LanParty Dark P35-T2RS
Swiftech MW30 Chipset block
Swiftech MCR220-QP
Danger Den HDPE 5 1/4" Bayres
Eheim 1048
7/16" Tygon R-3603
3 x CoolerMaster 12025 Fans
1 x Thermaltake TT-9025A @ 7 volts

Personally I prefer t-lines.

What you can try is getting some teflon tape and wrapping the threads with that. If that doesnt work, you can try some sealant around the barb.

I'm using the Mountain Mods bay res, but it also takes up 3 5 1/4 slots too. But I have no prblems with leaks on it. And on my other watercooled system I'm using a home built reservoir I made out of a 3 X 3 X 3 inch plastic weatherproof junction box (bought at Lowes) and drilled and tapped holes for 1/2" brass piping. But it also uses every bit of 3 5 1/4 bays too.

Personally I prefer t-lines.

What you can try is getting some teflon tape and wrapping the threads with that. If that doesnt work, you can try some sealant around the barb.

It's not the barb that's leaking; it's around the fill port. The gasket that is in there appears to be fine and not leaking.

What is your personal reasoning for the T-Line preference?

I'm sure he likes them because they're simpler. Personally I like the look of a bay res, but will probably be going to XPSC res-tops for the new case I'll be doing soon.

The MM is supposed to be very nice from all I've heard.

I have the regular DD dual bay res, and have not had that problem. Might try the teflon if it's coming out the threading, or putting a fatter o-ring on.

DD Bay res have issues. Many bay res do not. Of course a $75+ bay res will be better, and thats the key. How much was the res?

Many have the small Swiftech res, not a lot of issues but a few with micro-cracking, a stress induced manufacturing problem that crops up once and a while. The XPSC round res is much better in my opinion, but it costs more. Lookies at Petras for both.

The T line is the cheapest if you use a plastic T and a cork to plug the line. But OMG, it holds so little, it takes forever to fill a loop.

I made the mistake of trying one of those plastic reservoirs when I first started watercooling. It has to be among the worst reservoirs every made.

I would recommend ditching the bayres idea altogether for a Swiftech Microres.

I had always head that the acrylic ones were prone to cracking which is why I had gone with the HDPE one, which seems to have a whole new set of issues.

Back