• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help for DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nietzsche

Hi guys!

This is the first time that I am posting on this forum. I have decided to buy a new computer which is going to look like this:

CPU: i7 3770K
GPU: 2x Zotac GTX 680 4GB

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Premium (or Maximus V Extreme) not sure yet
PSU: Enermax Platimax 1000W Platinum
SSD: 2x Crucial M4 128GB (Raid 0)
HDD: 2x Seagate Constellation ES 1TB

DDR3 ???

I was doing some research about DDR3, but I didn't make any decision what should I buy. First of all I am going to say that I am not an extreme overclocker (why writing on this forum then? :bang head), but I do enjoy overclocking in, lets say, safe limits. My point was: Why would I take 16GB G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 running at 2400 MHz, CL11 and 1,65 V instead of 16GB Corsair Dominator GT at 2133 MHz, CL9 and 1,5 V? Price difference here in Austria is about 20 Euros (G.Skill is cheaper). What would you recommend for me? Or should I maybe go with Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR3 at 1600GHz and CL9 at 1,5V?

I will appreciate any advice you can give me!

Thanks a lot!

Wow, that's a super expensive build...you could knock hundreds off that price and get the same performance. That rig won't come close to 750W overclocked, and a single GTX670 can pretty much max out any game at 1080P...

Either way, on the RAM, there's basically zero performance gain in high speed RAM.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6
Most people go with DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V

Getting the most expensive of everything usually results in a lot of wasted money.

Hey,

Cheers for the fast answer! Maybe I forgot to mention that I am using 3x BENQ XL2420T and thats why I went for dual SLI. I also didn't say that I am going to use this computer for the next 4-5 years.

Triple screen, got it :thup:. Even at that point, the super expensive motherboard/overkill PSU/fast RAM isn't really necessary. The quality of the motherboard you need is almost directly linked to how much you want to OC. Since you aren't one to push limits really, you don't need a super high end board. Also, stuff is getting more and more power efficient as time goes on, necessary PSUs are going down and down. Trying to make a computer that is going to last 5 years and play everything at high settings is very hard/nearly impossible, the best option is to save money and make small upgrades, but more frequently (I'd still want SLI for triple screen though).

Also, at the same price for those monitors (at least in the US), you could pick up some Korean Catleaps from Ebay. There's a thread about many success stories with those. They're 27" 2560x1440 screens, LG S-IPS panels (some of the best, same or extremely similar to the ones used in the Apple iMacs). Pretty sure they ship almost everywhere. Even if it does cost a bit more, I'd say that's a better use of your money than a 1000W Plat.

Last edited:
Ye, I got your point and i totaly agree with you, but I can't help it if you understaid me. :) I built a computer with 2600k and 2 way 580 sli few months ago which I passed to my brother, but not those Benq sreens. I will search on the internet for those from Korea as well. If I find something I will give him current screens as well and get those from ebay. I am not done yet and it will take me some time to build something like this and if I have to add one more 680... hmm I would love to see that.

I just don't understand people who spend their money based on emotions rather than data. I also tend to give up helping them, as they typically don't listen to logic or reason.

Ok... I already purchased CPU and PSU. So all I am going to do is buy decent motherboard, 16GB DDR3 1600 and a single GTX 680 4GB. I can also wait and improve something part by part every few months or so. Triple screen I am running at the moment should work with a single 680 as it worke with with dual 580s, or close to it. There is no way we can catch up with time where something new is coming out every month. New CPUs in few months, DDR4 as well... but I don't care. You have more expirience than I do and thats why I am going to take your advice and save like 1000 $. Thanks for advice. I will se if it is going to work with Skyrim.

I don't think a single 680 is going to cut it on triple screen though. Motherboard, look at an ASRock Extreme4 or Gigabyte UD3H. Cooler wise, you'd need a TRUE Spirit 140, NZXT Havik 140, Thermalright Archon, something like that, should get you to 4.5GHz. PSU, well you already have it and it is one of the best units out there. RAIDing SSDs is usually not advised, you lose TRIM support which helps the drives last longer, and the controller overhead increases the access times (the major advantage of a SSD and what makes it "feel" faster). You can also get faster, equally reliable SSDs. Maybe a 240GB Samsung 830 or Intel 520 to keep the same amount of space.

Dual 580s are faster than a single 680..so yeah.

I suggest before you purchase something else, to read some 680 reviews at your res and see if you can tolerate the fps.

Cheers guys! Going to replace those 2 SSDs with something like Knufire suggested. I already used AsRock motherboard few years ago and I didn't have any issues with it, so yes. Pricewise it is much more acceptable comparing to Asus. As CPU cooler I decided to go with Austrian one: Noctua NH-D14, which should be good enough (60$ with discount). Zotac should release new 680s, something like 580 AMP2 3GB, and that is what I am waiting for. 5 years waranty + very good cooling and already overclocked, but I will wait 1 month or so. Regarding DDR3 question, I red a link from above and I will definietly go with DDR3 1600, CL7 130$ cheaper than 2133 one.
Thanks for your time and patience... you helped me a lot.

Wow you guys get the NH-D14 cheap. But yeah, that'll do fine, it's a great cooler. I've heard good things about the Zotac AMP! series as well. Lol at 1600 CL7 being that much cheaper than 2133 CL9, they're pretty much the same quality. Think the rule is that you divide the speed by the CAS latency.

Not sure for USA, but price difference 16gb Corsair Dominator 1600 (~170$) vs 16gb Dominator GT 2133 (~300$). And both have lifetime waranty.

Vengeance is not compatible with my cooler due to heatsink and the price for low profile one is just insane: http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Corsair/DIMM_16_GB_DDR3-1600_Quad-Kit/971998/?
G.SKILL is almost the same price as Dominator if I take CL7 and it looks cheap somehow. But I will try to find something else... if not, I will take Dominator and remove upper heatsinks in order to make them compatible with my cooler.

That's fine then, in the US Dominators are significantly more expensive and the low profile vengeance is the same price as the normal ones.

Definitely look into GSkill Ares for a good low-profile RAM.
Running Ripjaws in my desktop, and they're great.

Back