• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help recommending PSU wattage for my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

Looking at replacing the PSU in my rig. Spec's below. I dont really think I need a full 1kW. I get different results with these wattage calculators on the 'net. If anyone has a better link than what usually comes up with google, please let me know and ill use that.

Forget links, we know, LOL!

A quality 750W PSU would be PLENTY even with overclocking both GPUs and the CPU. A 650W would be fine really.

2x 670s = 340W MAX load stock speeds. about 375W (and you wont hit 375W and MAY hit 340W when overclocked to the hilt).
CPU = 77W. Overclocked, where you are or a bit further, perhaps 100-110W.
board/ram/water = 50W

So we have 375+110+50 = 535W

It won't even hit that value unless you are stress testing both CPU and GPU's while overclocked. You will likely barely break 400W at most when gaming.

So a Corsair 860i should work fine then?

EDIT: I find it kindve stupid they dont offer anything in between then 860 and 1200 in the AX series...

Yeah, it still would be, but it'd be nice to have for future use. Seasonic is nice, but Im slowly turning into a corsair wh0re. I'd to check out their 'i' series digital PSU's. I see they have one in 760, but the price difference between that and the 860 is $20..for another 100W.

750W is futureproofing to me. The corsair you are looking at are Seasonic platform.

I'd save the $20 as spending it wont help now, or in the future really, unless you plan on triple cards...?

Which Rosewill 1KW do you have? Reason is that some are just as good as the high end Corsair models, while some are meh.

That would be one of the meh ones. Not a terrible PSU but not great either. Upgrade would not be a bad idea IMO.

Whatever you get, I suggest full modular. It just makes life that much easier.

I like fully modular.
I have no issue with hardwired mobo+cpu+pcie though, you're going to use 'em all after all.

I like fully modular.
I have no issue with hardwired mobo+cpu+pcie though, you're going to use 'em all after all.

In the OP's case, this is true.

But some PSUs come with multiple 8-pins PCIe connectors fixed when people don't need that for their GPU.

The other thing I already like, I can pull my PSU out to dust it along with my case very easily. Just unplug everything and you can pop it out/back in really easily.

If you really want full modular (IMO semi modular done right is just as good), you could look at the OCZ ZT 750.

If you really want full modular (IMO semi modular done right is just as good), you could look at the OCZ ZT 750.

I can vouch for it. Currently running one right now and it has held up with 2x7970s and a 3770k overclocked. Though I'm upgrading to a PSU that has more capacity to handle my plans.

They're solid.
Some of 'em have an issue with the fan controller where it gets locked to 100%, this beats getting locked to 0% but is still annoying. OCZ will warranty the unit for it.

You'd have to be running a seriously silent setup to hear that lol.

Full speed fan isn't exactly quiet on em. You'll never hear it is you don't have the issue or run 100% load at high high ambient.

Back