• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help selecting the correct angled fittings from someone with some expe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only for the CPU inlet/outlet. After that the GPU has to carry the increase in water temp from the CPU. Temp neutralization in a water loop is negated by the fact that it can only neutralize to itself once the loop cycles. Going rad>res>pump>rad>cpu>gpu>rad>res>pump>rad>cpu>gpu etc etc etc is inefficient, simple thermal dynamics. The cpu block warms the water up which is in turn carried to the gpu block. The GPU temp in the above fashion cannot be lower than the outlet temp of the cpu. Whereas if the loop goes rad>res>pump>cpu>rad>gpu and so on the inlet temp of the GPU should be ambient. Water between the cpu block and the gpu block doesn't have anything to neutralize to. Might only be a 6-10c degree difference in GPU temps but the fact remains that if someone is going to put time and money into doing this kind of setup mights well do it the most efficient way or not bother.

Because of the turbulent flow, the water is heated as a body, not as isolated molecules. You'll actually see heat seeping the opposite direction of flow around block to some extent. Also, because of water's high ability to hold heat, it takes quite a bit of energy to raise the temperature of water even 1C. This is why if you monitor loop temperatures you will see that the temps always change slowly.

Isn't the heat capacity of water high enough that having it a little warmer really won't change much more than a couple degrees? Plus the speed of the water moving through the loop is pretty quick. It won't be exposed to the block for more than a moment.

I'm not sure that a different order is possible unless I run two long lengths of tube. I don't think that will look as nice and I'm also worried about going over 10ft of tube. I'm not sure exactly of how much headroom I'll have with tubing since I haven't done a loop before.

EDIT: I was not paying attention to the email and did not notice that there were so many more responses that said what I did in this post. :p

Either way, Luke, do you know how I should hide some of the extra tubing that I would have to do to get the order you want? I want optimum efficiency as much as the next guy, but I don't want two long tubes going right across my whole case. If I do the order that you suggest I am going from the GPU to the top right of the case, back down almost the same length to the CPU, then from there to the res. That is quite a lot of tubes going over the same area if you ask me. How would you approach it?

Basically I was thinking of doing something like this so I could avoid tube clutter and make it look a little cleaner. This sacrifices a very small amount of efficiency but it would look quite a bit better unless there is another way you would route the tubes. :)

eJr2xV2.png

The gray "tube" here is just gray to show that it is being routed behind everything. I do not plan to have it visible until it comes out from behind the front rad to connect to the res.

I also thought to do something with more tubes showing, but I think that this second picture is starting to look a little cluttered.
MpMKx4Q.png

Last edited:
Isn't the heat capacity of water high enough that having it a little warmer really won't change much more than a couple degrees? Plus the speed of the water moving through the loop is pretty quick. It won't be exposed to the block for more than a moment.

I'm not sure that a different order is possible unless I run two long lengths of tube. I don't think that will look as nice and I'm also worried about going over 10ft of tube. I'm not sure exactly of how much headroom I'll have with tubing since I haven't done a loop before.

EDIT: I was not paying attention to the email and did not notice that there were so many more responses that said what I did in this post. :p

Either way, Luke, do you know how I should hide some of the extra tubing that I would have to do to get the order you want? I want optimum efficiency as much as the next guy, but I don't want two long tubes going right across my whole case. If I do the order that you suggest I am going from the GPU to the top right of the case, back down almost the same length to the CPU, then from there to the res. That is quite a lot of tubes going over the same area if you ask me. How would you approach it?

Basically I was thinking of doing something like this so I could avoid tube clutter and make it look a little cleaner. This sacrifices a very small amount of efficiency but it would look quite a bit better unless there is another way you would route the tubes. :)

The gray "tube" here is just gray to show that it is being routed behind everything. I do not plan to have it visible until it comes out from behind the front rad to connect to the res.

I also thought to do something with more tubes showing, but I think that this second picture is starting to look a little cluttered.

I put the arrows the wrong way, but roughly:

Attachments

• tOM09lx.png
    tOM09lx.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 27
I put the arrows the wrong way, but roughly:

Unfortunately I cannot do that. I want to put a fan on the back inside of the case and with the fittings on that side of the rad there simply will not be room for the fan.

I would really like to keep the fan over having an optimal loop order as well. I think the extra fresh air will be much better for temps. :)

Unfortunately I cannot do that. I want to put a fan on the back inside of the case and with the fittings on that side of the rad there simply will not be room for the fan.

I would really like to keep the fan over having an optimal loop order as well. I think the extra fresh air will be much better for temps. :)

Using a 420 rad should leave room for the fittings (3x140) its only roughly a 16 inch rad in 21.5 inch case. a 480 rad (4x120) would be interesting since most are 20 inches or more, and some (alphacool) are longer than the case (21.5 inch case, 552mm (21.7 inch) rad)

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers but the Alphacool 420 rad is about 18.5in long. It goes from one end of the inside of the case to the other. I am almost sure that there will not be room for a fan under the fittings if I mount it that way but I will check to be sure.

I'm getting my numbers from the alphacool spec sheet. I don't recall you saying which rad you are using, since they make more than 1. The ST30 3x140 is 400mm according to the specs, and considering the redundancy of the 2nd rad is still alot more than you need in the first place.

Keep in mind the spec doesnt make sense to me, but its what it says.

I'm getting my numbers from the alphacool spec sheet. I don't recall you saying which rad you are using, since they make more than 1. The ST30 3x140 is 400mm according to the specs, and considering the redundancy of the 2nd rad is still alot more than you need in the first place.

Keep in mind the spec doesnt make sense to me, but its what it says.

Ah never mind. I read your post wrong. When you were referring to the rad being longer than the case you were talking about a 480 not a 420 like I thought you were. I am going to get the XT45 420 rad so there should be room for the rad for sure. Sorry I assumed that all their rads would just differ in thickness, not length. I am just not so sure about mounting it with the fittings toward the back and also having room to mount a fan there.

I might just cut out the 5.25 bays altogether for that matter. Although it would be cool to have a sneaky tube routed through the back.

Ah never mind. I read your post wrong. When you were referring to the rad being longer than the case you were talking about a 480 not a 420 like I thought you were. I am going to get the XT45 420 rad so there should be room for the rad for sure. Sorry I assumed that all their rads would just differ in thickness, not length. I am just not so sure about mounting it with the fittings toward the back and also having room to mount a fan there.

I might just cut out the 5.25 bays altogether for that matter. Although it would be cool to have a sneaky tube routed through the back.

Yeah it wasnt the clearest post ever, hard to type while mining too >< Be creative, who knows what you might come up with.

Back