• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some memory to go with my 144 Opteron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC/ingmaddog

Hey guys. I need some a 1GB (2x512MB) set of some memory. I would like it to be TCCD, but am open to UTT as well.

The main thing I'm worried about is price: Please keep it $100-$150.

Go go go with the recommendations!

For $150 (or near there) you can probably find new Patriot TCCD that has performed well for many (ask Super Nade for his take).

The classies here at OCF will get you many more options for TCCD within that price range, including OCZ, Mushkin and G.Skill, to name a few.

I would not chase down any UTT because for starters it is unpredictable...you may hit 245 or 255 or 265 or 275...then tomorrow it will die on you. In addition, there is the question of possible damage to the cpu memory controller when the difference between the cpu voltage and the ram voltage exceeds certain ranges. There was a thread started over at XS on this and one here that linked to it. Nothing concrete on this, but certainly something to keep in mind.

Here is the link to the thread at OCF:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=426473

Here is the link to the XS thread:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79509

Last edited:
Reefa_Madness said:
For $150 (or near there) you can probably find new Patriot TCCD that has performed well for many (ask Super Nade for his take).

The classies here at OCF will get you many more options for TCCD within that price range, including OCZ, Mushkin and G.Skill, to name a few.

I would not chase down any UTT because for starters it is unpredictable...you may hit 245 or 255 or 265 or 275...then tomorrow it will die on you. In addition, there is the question of possible damage to the cpu memory controller when the difference between the cpu voltage and the ram voltage exceeds certain ranges. There was a thread started over at XS on this and one here that linked to it. Nothing concrete on this, but certainly something to keep in mind.

Here is the link to the thread at OCF:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=426473

Here is the link to the XS thread:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79509

Thanks for that info! That definately will steer me clear of UTT for use with my Opteron. I don't want to kill it... :cry: I'll check the classies. So these Patriot TCCD's are clocking pretty well?

And of course there's always the well performing OCZ EL Plat's Rev. 2.

The gskill fx's come in at 150, and do 270ish @ 2.5-3-3-61t with 2.7 volts. Seems like they are pretty picky about voltage though.

OC/ingmaddog said:
Is Super Nade using these Patriot's?

Linkey

Those look nice. If it was between these and the Rev. 2 Plat's which one would you choose?

He no longer has them in his sig, he has now swithed over to old school BH-5 (again, per his sig). Your best bet is to drop him a PM, perhaps with a link to this thread so you don't have to explain it all over again.

I do believe that those are the ones that he used previously, however, he may have gotten a set that was produced before Patriot started dual-rating some of them for both PC3200 (with tight timings) and either PC4400 or PC4800, but with looser timings. He started a thread which was a database of settings (linked below) and that thread would be a good place to see the type of results that guys have gotten, along with the settings that they used to get there.

Link to SN's thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=404946

Reefa_Madness said:
He no longer has them in his sig, he has now swithed over to old school BH-5 (again, per his sig). Your best bet is to drop him a PM, perhaps with a link to this thread so you don't have to explain it all over again.

I do believe that those are the ones that he used previously, however, he may have gotten a set that was produced before Patriot started dual-rating some of them for both PC3200 (with tight timings) and either PC4400 or PC4800, but with looser timings. He started a thread which was a database of settings (linked below) and that thread would be a good place to see the type of results that guys have gotten, along with the settings that they used to get there.

Link to SN's thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=404946

Alright man. Thanks for the link. I'll send a PM his way.

Did someone say good memory for $150 or less? :D

DSC00573.sized.jpg

moretesting.jpg

For $140, I can't help myself but to pimp these sticks. :) I mean, that screen is only a SuperPI1M run, but with 3.2v on BH-UTT, that's pretty impressive...I'm looking foward to finding the top end of them, since I havn't had time to fully test them out yet.

My vote goes to the G.Skill GH's. :)

tsuehpsyde thanks for your info. You may want to check out the link Reefa posted in post #2 to XS. You don't want your processor dying on you. Just a word of caution.

OC/ingmaddog said:
Alright man. Thanks for the link. I'll send a PM his way.

I saw that he posted elsewhere that he was going on Holiday and would not be back until sometime after the first (maybe as late as the 6th). Just thought I would pass that along so you wouldn't think he was ignoring you.

By the way, in case you are interested, the Patriot TCCDs are on sale at newegg for $155, less $20 MIR, net $135 (plus shipping).

Reefa_Madness said:
I saw that he posted elsewhere that he was going on Holiday and would not be back until sometime after the first (maybe as late as the 6th). Just thought I would pass that along so you wouldn't think he was ignoring you.

By the way, in case you are interested, the Patriot TCCDs are on sale at newegg for $155, less $20 MIR, net $135 (plus shipping).

Super Nade: I sent a PM his way and he replied today.

Patriot: Saw that at Newegg also.

Got both ends covered...:)

But thanks for the checking up on. I appreciate it.

Back