• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some temperature advise!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fusentast

Heya. A few days ago i finished building my new system, and it looks like this.

CPU: i7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3,4Ghz.
CPU cooler: Cooler Master V6GT
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev3(with installed 50mm fan)
RAM: Corsair Core i7/i5/i2 8GB Kit PC3-10666, 1333MHz, 2x240 DIMM
Graphics: MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk (1 GB)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2
HDD: Western Digital 500 GB Green 32MB
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430(installed front fan, top fan and back fan)

I wanted to try out some overclocking too see what my system is capable of. I don't know much about CPU max temperature, so i wanted to see if anyone in here could help me. When I'm running prime95 stress test(blend) it goes to 4430Mhz it jumps from 70 degrees C to 75 degrees C. I would say thats fine, but again, i don't know much about it. After running the stress test for 1 hours, it has not passed 75 degrees C.

What would you say... is it too hot? (CPU cooler is a Cooler Master V6GT)

With an air cooler on an i7, you shoudln't push too hard. 75 does seem pretty hot.
I'm more of an AMD guy, but I'd never let a CPU go that hot. I get worried when my Phenom 9850 goes into the high 60s.

Now that you've cooked it though, you've got a good cure of your thermal paste, BUT that's assuming you didn't use too much or too little.

Double-check that all your fans are pointing in the right direction... ie: front fans pull air into case & rear/top fans push air out.

also... reference this thread... http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595117

75 is a bit warm, but its not hot per say.. Ive had mine in the mid to high 90s for a night and it trucked right thru it.. It should be fine.

Stress test.

75 was max at the stress test, where all cores was being used 100%. I don't think its possible for me to reach 75 just playing a game or something, but again, I'm no expert.

Am i wrong?

Ive been playing Bad Company 2 with max graphics to test my system, and the CPU stays at around 60 degrees? i wouldn't call that bad with air cooling.

If that's the case then 60 sounds fine then. Wow I had no idea the i7s could get so hot.

Oh yeah you can beat the silicon out of em and they come back for moar :)

If your cpu hit that temp playing a game then you have problems, but if you were running p95 or ibt then you are good to go :cool:

Back