• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to be able to trace Skype somehow.. Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I was talking to my love as always, and last night, after we hung up, someone pretended to be her and asked me to send all the pictures that she had sent me because "I accidentally erased them". I was half asleep and I knew she was too, so I just did it, but right as I did it, I knew something was up but it was too late.

This morning of course I asked her about it and we're both freaking out now. It's not really a big deal, they are just pics, but still, it is a serious breach of privacy, and someone is obviously seriously obsessed with my girl, or wants to sabotage something. We are far apart, in different countries for now, but have been together for a long time, just waiting for her VISA.

I have since completely redone her computer and installed firewalls and all that, malwarebytes etc., but its too little too late. Naturally, some of the pics are very personal (not dirty, just very personal, for me). I found lots of baddies, but no keylogger, but I know it wasn't done from her computer.

I have not turned off Skype since or my computer, so its still all here in history. Is there anyway to check the difference between her normal IP that is used every time we talk and the 5 mins that this person was connected under her name? She has since changed her password, and told me that she has used the same pw for years.

In any case, I want to be able to see where that 5 minutes was from, not who exactly, just the area, and with that we'll be able to figure it out, since it has to be someone who knows her password from the past. But we do not want to confront anyone by mistake. There is a short list, but I have already dismissed the hacking of her computer, it has to be a person with her password entering her Skype from another location, about 30 mins after we talked. She shut her system down after that so it couldn't be from her computer, not to mention I checked her system already for any intrusions.

Anyway to see the past and what IP she contacts me from? It should all be the same, except for this 5 minutes, and I'll be able to then run a who-is to see the area right?. Or if someone can point me in the right direction where I can find this. Her life could be complicated if someone were to make it difficult for her, especially if they got anything else besides the pics, like our history of conversation (Which is unlikely, luckily, as she has it set to erase every time).

Thank you, I await your reply with great anticipation.

Basically, I just need to check all incoming connections from the last 12 hours, if that is possible. I checked windows firewall, and for some reason the log file is empty and it says that logging is not on, and there is no option to turn it on, although it says 4MB is dedicated to the log.

Please help me.

Try calling Skype customer service.

Be ready to provide time and date, and specific information to prove the account is yours (wife may have to call them.)

You will need to contact them directly or through your local authorities (hers and/or yours.) The authorities may or may not take it seriously enough to warrant a request to Skype for the IP data. Skype may not release said information without a court order.

Give it a shot.

EDIT:

Also, perhaps change the skype account password back, have her create a new temporary account, and wait for the old account to log in then use something like this if all else fails...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9964

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/04/29/skype-revealing-remote-and-local-ip-address/

Last edited:
Back