• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need triple monitor card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The benchmarking in the reviews doesn't show much impact from RAM over 2GB, except in the most extreme testing.
Again, it doesn't tend to manifest itself in a FPS capacity in most cases. It is hitching that can sometimes show up. And when it does, it really detracts from the gaming experience and immersion. We have a thread here from 2012 where there were already games over it, several sniffing it. It just needs to be said that IQ sacrifices sometimes need to be made when using a 2GB card, even at 1080p, for an optimal gaming experpience. :)

There are several 'practical' situations where it is needed. We will agree to disagree. :) :grouphug:

You will have to get one eventually, technology progresses and the games most with it, 2gb is stretching even nowadays at 1080p. I play (or try to) everything on max settings so you can see my surprise when i tried GTA V the other day and saw 4gb use at 1920x1080. When you lower something, say shadows or lighting or textures (usually the ones that impact more), even if the difference is minimal you notice it. As ED said it and i most heartily agree, it detracts from what you are supposed to experience, games were not meant to be played at "medium" or "low" :(

Again, it doesn't tend to manifest itself in a FPS capacity in most cases. It is hitching that can sometimes show up. And when it does, it really detracts from the gaming experience and immersion. We have a thread here from 2012 where there were already games over it, several sniffing it. It just needs to be said that IQ sacrifices sometimes need to be made when using a 2GB card, even at 1080p, for an optimal gaming experpience. :)

There are several 'practical' situations where it is needed. We will agree to disagree. :) :grouphug:

Nothing about computer gaming to me says practical, other than maybe for the people who make their living with it. I wouldn't discourage anyone who loves this stuff from spending (relatively) handsomely on it if it brings them joy and satisfaction. I simply offer the perspective that "max everything" isn't the threshold of enjoyment for everyone who participates.

Agreement is overrated. ;)

I simply offer the perspective that "max everything" isn't the threshold of enjoyment for everyone who participates.
They can spend their money on a console in that case. :p :rofl:

I used to be in your camp when I started getting really into this stuff 11+ years ago. BUt once I saw the differences, I never looked back and enjoy the experiences even more since they look the way the developer intended them to. :)

Good example of console vs PC graphics is Mass Effect or Witcher, graphics looked amazing before they got "dumbed down" to fit on a xbox/playstation.

You will have to get one eventually, technology progresses and the games most with it, 2gb is stretching even nowadays at 1080p. I play (or try to) everything on max settings so you can see my surprise when i tried GTA V the other day and saw 4gb use at 1920x1080. When you lower something, say shadows or lighting or textures (usually the ones that impact more), even if the difference is minimal you notice it. As ED said it and i most heartily agree, it detracts from what you are supposed to experience, games were not meant to be played at "medium" or "low" :(

Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I took an eight year break from gaming. I'm back into it, but lightly. Last time I was serious about it, Day of Defeat was all the rage. I could probably jump into a DoD game (pre Source), completely enjoy it for hours on end, and not care a whit about how it looks in comparison to GTA V or Witcher or any other newish title. I still like checkers, chess and gin rummy, too. :)

Once upon a time, I was heavily into bass fishing. Going to tournaments, you'd see guys show up in $50,000 boats with 300hp motors, capable of 75+ mph across the water. Other guys would show up in john boats with 25hp motors, top speed about 15 to 20mph. I learned: 1) Never try to guess how good a guy is at catching fish by how expensive or fast his boat is, and 2) Never estimate how much enjoyment someone derives from fishing by how much their fishing gear costs.

In the end, it's a hobby and what each person puts in and gets out is unique to them.

You'd analogies... good stuff there. Not sure I can make the jump you are with them, but I get the point (from the start). :)

You'd analogies... good stuff there. Not sure I can make the jump you are with them, but I get the point (from the start). :)

And I completely support the idea that for you, the enjoyment comes in maximizing the experience with the best possible gear you can afford. Totally understandable.

Sort of. My enjoyment comes from being able to play the game as it was meant to look for the LEAST possible outgoing...

...the goal though is always to play it as the developer intended.*

* except for poorly coded games. :rofl:

Anyhoo... back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

I hit 300fps in DoD Source with my 4gig Asus strix 960.... Minesweeper looks so realistic too! I think a 960 will get you where you want to go for the price. 970 would get you further though.

Back