• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needing New RAM for my Build - Need Help Choosing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColbyM

Registered
I recently built a new PC and am using old 1333MHz RAM from an HP I bought a few years ago. I am having constant crashes and freezups and the only thing I can think to fix it is new RAM.

I have an Intel Core i5 3570 (not K model) in an ASRock Z77 Pro 4. What RAM will go best with this combo? I would prefer 1600MHz RAM because that seems to be the sweet spot for gaming and general use. Also, I would like the sticks, if at all possible, to be black colored to match the colors inside my case.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help. I'll go for the low profile Vengeance. That was one of the sets I had been eyeing. For a while I was wanting the Balistix Tracer with the LEDs but I couldn't find a black set with red LEDs except for on their website for like $80.

If you haven't already, test the RAM for errors / stability w/ either Memtest86+ or the built-in Windows Diagnostic utility (assuming you're running either Vista or Win7).

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile or G.Skill Sniper. Those are perfect for what you ask for. Or the Samsung DDR3s.

Look for DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5v DIMMs or better (higher MHz, lower CL, lower voltage).

Are there any differences in performance or quality between the Corsair Vengeance LP and G.Skill Sniper, or is it all a matter of brand preference?

Six and a half, IMHO.

If I were you I'd get the Corsair Vengeance LP because my Snipers are a little bit of a PITA to install (they have an "ironsight" where you'd normally press to install the module and your fingers will cry when you press there)

I looked at those but for what I need, the Corsair Vengeance LP is sufficient.

Back