• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never Added Fans Before...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PE553

Registered
Hi all!

I'm upgrading PC cases and there is space for two 120mm exhaust fans at the top of the new case that I'm looking to take advantage of.

I've never bought extra fans before and had a couple of questions:

1) Is pin type an issue? My CPU fan, and presumably the rest of the fans in my current/old case have a "4 pin PWM" connection according to the website product specs on newegg. But the two fans I'm thinking of buying just say "3 pin". I can't figure out if the connectors are actually different, or if they are still compatible but just have one less pin inside the plastic housing.

2) The cords on these fans are usually really short. Do they make extensions for these types of things? I'm worried that they're in a strange place and they might not reach a source of power...which leads me to my last question...

3)I have to double check, but am pretty sure I'm out of little 4 pin slots on my mobo. What's the best way to deal with having more fans than little 4 pin slots? Splitters, or some sort of thing that plugs right into the PSU, or...?

Thanks very much in advance!
-----------------
For those of you who would know...
Feel free to recommend 120mm fans that would be good for top exhaust...I know nothing about good brands, types (like the fan blades etc.), and/or other things to look for. :)

you can use a 3 pin on a 4pin header, you'd install it on the 3 right pins in this example

4pin.jpg

some fans come with extension cables and/or 3-4pin molex connectors

you can use a 3 pin on a 4pin header, you'd install it on the 3 right pins in this example

4pin.jpg

some fans come with extension cables and/or 3-4pin molex connectors

^this. also i had a similar situation where none of my fans had cables long enough to reach the mother board. using items similar to the one shown below i had at least 4 fans daisy chained together using 1 molex from my psu and could still get power to something else in my case. basically, power to all fans without losing a molex plug from psu

4126624.jpg

Back