• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD PC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IronHands

Registered
guys I'm new to this forum

I'm building a PC so let me know if it will be any good please.

PC case: 780T Corsair
Motherboard: GA-970A-UD3P Gigabyte
Memory: 2x8 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 1866
Video Card: R9 280x Sapphire
Power supply: RM650

CPU: AMD FX-4350

I would try to go with at least the FX-6300 or the 8320.

Also what are you going to be using the PC for? If it will be for gaming 8GB memory will be more than enough.

Agree with Ray. Move up to the FX-6300. On sale, about the same price and much more computing power. That motherboard should handle it well, even with some overclocking. I would also urge you to consider getting a good aftermarket CPU cooler. That case should accommodate a large, tall aftermarket cooler like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo.

thanks a lot I was wanting a better cooler for the CPU.

Thing is I have ordered everything already, but it seems I have some delay with my CPU so if it doesn't make it's way to me soon I'll try and cancel that order and maybe get a 8350 or something like a 6350.

I really do appreciate any advise and I thank you for it.

I quickly jumped the gun and tried to order everything as fast as I could.

I do plan for this to be a gaming machine.

I felt like 8GB of memory would have been enough but I went with 16GB anyway.

What do you think about crucial Ballistix Elite memory? Like I already mentioned I quickly ordered everything and the following day after I later learned of the Ballistix Elite memory, so you any of you recommend that memory over the Ballistix Sport XT?

I'll look around for the R9 290 $199 sounds good.
I'll see about the Corsair CX 600

I should also note that I got the Motherboard and the video card as a combo.

Motherboard: $74.99
Video card $214.99

$18 discount for combo

$271.98 for both

You bought an expensive case and a weak CPU. I don't get that. You also bought an expensive PSU, too much RAM... all bad choices. You aren't going to get good performance out of this machine. I would return everything, build on a $50 case, $50 B85 board, an i5, and an R9 290. The way you're going now you're going to have a terrible experience. SOrry but them's the breaks. I don't want to sugar coat it for you.

Just to give you an idea, the CPU you chose doesn't outperform a PII 965 which came out in 2008 or 2009. It's total weaksauce for today's games.

Can you return EVERYTHING and start fresh with advice from us and get a TRULY good gaming computer?

If you plop an FX-8350 onto that motherboard then don't count on much overclocking. Now you never said that overclocking was a goal but because of this forum's name we sort of assume that unless otherwise stated.

yea I was planning to O/C, I wanted to O/C the memory to 2000Mhz and I wanted to O/C the CPU to around 4.5 - 4.7Ghz or 4.8Ghz.

I know the PC case I ordered was expensive but Corsair just released it and I really wanted it.
I know the PSU is expensive also and to be honest I wanted to get the RM750 for $10 more because the next day I saw that sapphire has a requirement of a 750watt PSU for the video card I'm getting.
I also want to note that I do not want on-board graphics or nothing like that. Not saying the B85 with an i5 comes with that but I don't know right now.

how could this be possibly a bad build given the extra cost for case and PSU if I were to get an 6350 or a 8350? Is that not enough CPU power? 4 cores running at 4.2 out of the box to me seems like plenty, 6 cores at 3.9 out of the box seems like plenty, 8 cores at 4.0 out of the box is not enough? I plan to O/C everything does the motherboard that I selected not show any signs of it not being able to O/C anything?

Besides me being able to save more money I'm just blown away with what I have selected not being the right thing or not good enough. I'm trying to play games at a high FPS so why would a CPU that has a high Ghz mark like the 4350 not be enough? I'm not so much trying to build this to play games that have not come out yet but games that has been out.

I also want to say that I have two laptops, they both have 3635qm i7 processors. One laptop has a 8770m the other laptop has 650GT.

I'll select one game of my list that I would like to play with this PC build.

"elder scrolls online"

I played ESO beta on both these laptops and while it was playable on both laptops FPS being whatever is was but I want more FPS.

I just find it hard to believe that 4 cores out of the box running at 4.2Ghz is not enough.

each of these laptops has 8 cores each one laptop never steps below 3.07Ghz on any given time it does 3.15 or more like 3.35 turbo is supposed to be like 3.4Ghz though.

Unless I don't like the PC case I would like to keep it.

I have 8GB of memory on each laptop so I feel like 8GB isn't enough so I got 16GB for this PC build.

so with the one game I mentioned a fx-4350 + a sapphire R9 280x O/C would result into bad performance? In all honesty I do not know but I would like too.

I'm going to look around for a R9 290 now and see what I can find.

I without doubt should have made this post before I ordered everything, I'm sorry I didn't do so but I'm very anxious to get this build done. I can't yet come close as to explain how long I have been waiting how much I have been wanting to play games with some great FPS. A game like GTA5 on the PC would be a target of mine when it comes out will a R9 280X not be enough for GTA5? all together a FX-4350 would just make everything flop to a failure now so it seems :-(

If I'm at the wrong place to make a post like this please excuse me and forgive me please but I do plan to O/C the motherboard should show that.

Last edited:
This is what's wrong with not understanding what you're doing and just "buying stuff"

It has a "high Ghz mark", the CPU, yes. It has HORRIBLE instructions per clock though and is generally just a bad design. It would get murdered by an Intel i5 quad core at half the clock speed.
Clock speed means nothing in todays world. That was 10 years ago. Now it's all about the design of the chip. You messed up bad. DOn't know how it's gonna turn out for you.

Case in point, in games a 4.5Ghz 8 core 8350 usually loses to a 3.2Ghz i5.

I completely understand what you mean now. I'll look to see what I can find with a R9 290. If I do find a stand out R9 290 I may see about getting a refund for the majority of the build besides the case and SSD.

You would be much better off if you could get the 6300 or the 83xx series. The way the 4xxx series is basically you only have 2 true cores. The fx 4xxx series is not true quad core. It's not necessarily a bad build but you won't have near the performance you expect.

I'm looking into it as we speak, and 1st and foremost coming tomorrow if the fx-4350 hasn't found it's way to me by being shipped I'll contact the shipper and see if they will let me change it to maybe the 6350 or 8350.

I'm assuming I would be able to use any FX series processor with the motherboard I'm getting. So if by chance if I get a FX-9590 it would work right?

Last edited:
Just reading through this thread I had to give some impressions I have had by using both my Intel rigs and AMD rigs.

For reference I have 4 rigs I use daily, which consist of the following. Intel I5 2500k, Intel I7 4770k, AMD Fx 8350/6300 and AMD 955 Be. The GPU's I have and swap around from rig to rig are ATi 5850, Nvidia GTX 580, GTX 670 and GTX 780.

I play mainly FPS games, BFBC2, BF3 and BF4 all at 1920*1080p. When playing these games on any of the rigs above the only one I do notice a difference on is the 955 Be. The rest of the rigs play the games exactly the same, yes when using Fraps the Intels get a few FPS more while gaming but visually while playing I do not see or feel a difference. If a game is more dependent on the Cpu and/or you are running a pair of Gpu's in SLI or XFire you will see a significant difference when running a Intel chip over an AMD.

If your main plan for the rig is gaming then the Fx 63xx is the way to go, it will be easier to OC because it doesn't have as much power draw as the Fx 83xx when overclocking, therefore less heat to dissipate. If it is possible for you to cancel the Fx 4xxx you purchased and replace it with the Fx 63xx, I feel that would be a wise decision. A Gigabyte 970 UD3 board coupled with the Fx 63xx chip and a R9 280X or better gpu will be a good gaming rig.

I would s5ay away from the 9xxx series. They run way too hot. Your board is the same as mine and will run the 8xxx series just fine. All the 9 series is are way overclock3d versions of the 8 series in my opinion

All the 9 series is are way overclock3d versions of the 8 series in my opinion
The 9xxx chips seem to be just binned high leakage 83xx chips, which take substantial cooling to keep temps in check.

Alright I'll see about changing the CPU but I believe I'll need to wait to tomorrow to do so because I already got after them about not shipping it to me already (this was Friday) and she told me to call back Monday if it still wasn't shipped.

You would be much better off if you could get the 6300 or the 83xx series. The way the 4xxx series is basically you only have 2 true cores. The fx 4xxx series is not true quad core. It's not necessarily a bad build but you won't have near the performance you expect.

Yes, but the FX-63xx is not exactly 6 real cores and the FX-83xx is not really 8 real cores so the same logic holds true. Just know what you are getting, IronHands. And it kind of depends on how you define "real" cores. The AMD FX series cores do share cache resources. instead of each core having it's own that is.

If all he is doing is using it for gaming there is no reason to switch to intel. The increase in performance will not be that noticeable gaming.

Back