• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD Processor ~$140

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawkie

Registered
Currently, I have an Acer X3400G-U4802. It runs smooth, I have upgraded the case, RAM (to 6gb from 4gb) and my graphics card to a GT 440. I found a deal on ebay, it is an Asus m4a78 plus with a AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition (3.5ghz). If you read this it takes ddr2 ram and I have ddr3 so I would have to buy more ram for it. I am wondering if I should buy that combo, or just buy a CPU by itself. I have one in mind, and I will post the links.

Ebay post= http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-...444?pt=CPUs&hash=item4167658034#ht_723wt_1396

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (3.4 ghz) = http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Bl...ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339986346&sr=1-2

Please help!
-Thanks

DDR2 is getting really expensive as it gets harder to find.

I'd look for a 960T over any of the other Phenom II X4s. The 960T is actually a Phenom II X6 with two locked cores. Even if you can't unlock the cores (which you probably can't if it's an OEM motherboard), it has a better quality IMC than the other Phenoms.

New AMD Processor ~$140 [Reply]

I should have mentioned this but I would not be able to get the 960t because my mobo doesn't support it. Here is a list of ones that are supported: (I am only listing the quad cores).

AMD Phenom II x4 Quad-core desktop processor 965/955/945/925/910/910e/620/630/635/640

Those are the ones that I would be able to buy with the mobo that I currently have.
-Thanks

Depends on your uses. It's a bit old, but it does provide pretty good performance for the price.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you're upgrading from.

Depends on your uses. It's a bit old, but it does provide pretty good performance for the price.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you're upgrading from.

I game a lot on my PC, (so mostly for gaming) but I am held back because of my current processor. AMD Athlon II x2 255, I cant play black ops or any new games like GTA 4 because my processor is too slow. If this would play COD: BO 2 that would be sick!

Remember in gaming, GPU before CPU. Should have spent more money on a better graphics card (used 460 or 5770 would have been good). I'll bet you need better GPU power for COD.

GTA is one of the few games that's pretty CPU intensive, so that you will see good gains with a new CPU.

Remember in gaming, GPU before CPU. Should have spent more money on a better graphics card (used 460 or 5770 would have been good). I'll bet you need better GPU power for COD.

GTA is one of the few games that's pretty CPU intensive, so that you will see good gains with a new CPU.

Alright thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!! I think that I am going to stick with buying a new processor though cause black ops, mw3, and a bunch of other games fail becuase of my processor. However, thanks for all of your help! I will keep that in mind!

Seconding the 960T. As stated above, the IMC is better than the Deneb cores, and even if it doesn't unlock, you are left with a quad core that almost always nets a very good overclock.
Here are some used ones on amazon for a good price -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0056D5AMY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

They are getting harder to come by these days.

Also, GTA will see an improvement, but it's so horribly coded that even I can't run it a smooth framerates with settings on max.

Appearntly BO is quad threaded, so you should see improvements.

Btw, take that website with a grain of salt. its just a database of minimum and recommended specs published by the game developers. Most of the time they're fairly accurate, but sometimes (*coughCrysiscough*) it can be a load of BS.

Any system setup to determine a general yes or no for components' abililty to accomplish X project is never going to be fully accurate no matter the criteria used to determine fitness for use.

I mean they still say Win 7 needs a minimum of 1gig ram. Well 1gig of ram would not do well for "me". So that minimum would not fit my circumstances.

Everything with a 'pinch' of salt as they say.

Appearntly BO is quad threaded, so you should see improvements.

Btw, take that website with a grain of salt. its just a database of minimum and recommended specs published by the game developers. Most of the time they're fairly accurate, but sometimes (*coughCrysiscough*) it can be a load of BS.

Try looking in the BIOS for an 'ACC' option, if you have one, turn it on. It may be able to unlock your cpu to an X4

It's a box store computer/motherboard. I would be surprised if it had ACC in the bios.

I game a lot on my PC, (so mostly for gaming) but I am held back because of my current processor. AMD Athlon II x2 255, I cant play black ops or any new games like GTA 4 because my processor is too slow. If this would play COD: BO 2 that would be sick!

I played GTA 4 on a 2.7GHz Sempron. It had a lower framerate than I'd like and you couldn't load a game after you left the safe house, but other than that, it was at least still playable. :rofl:

I played GTA 4 on a 2.7GHz Sempron. It had a lower framerate than I'd like and you couldn't load a game after you left the safe house, but other than that, it was at least still playable. :rofl:

Oh yea I meant to say that I could play GTA 4, just not to the liking of how I would like to play it. (not enough FPS)

I found a new combo on Ebay ~ It comes with an AMD Phenom II x4 (3.0ghz) 960t with an Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ Motherboard for a price of $170.00. Does this seem like a good deal??

Back