• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD Rig - Advice Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATF 2GTalon

OK, I've been thinking of building a budget AMD rig for the past couple months now. I'm not looking for the fastest gaming computer, but something decent for playing games at medium detail, and watching movies, etc. BTW, the overclocked P4 rig in my sig is my main gaming computer.

My requirements are SFF with the ability of TV Out. This lead me to the Shuttle XPC SN41G2V2 with the nForce2 chipset and built-in GF4 MX440. Yeah the builtin graphics isn't great but it has s-video out. I haven't found any other SFF with s-video out. Any others out there?

And for cpu I was looking at the Mobile Athlon 2600+. This seems to be the best mobile cpu for overclocking. Will this cpu work with the above shuttle?

I have thought of going Athlon 64, but its about $200 more than I want to spend for the appropriate SFF and cpu.

Thanks.

I've used the 35W mobiles, and they overclock fine. more importantly, they are cooler. for video, i would go with at least a Geforce Ti level card. I havent heard good things about on board video.

just my $.02
-David

I dont think it'd be too expensive to go 64. Although im not searching the prices, i dont think something along the lines of a chaintech nforce3 250 + 64 2800+ would be too expensive. As for video, you could always go with a cheapo geforce fx 5200 (128mb) w/ a s-video out put. Shouldnt set you back anymore than 250$ for all 3.

Back