• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Athlon/Vega APU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

Anyone else seen this? Got a webinar invite today and I'm going to sign up for this one.

Dear Partner,

Introducing the new AMD Athlon™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics. Accelerate your everyday tasks with future-ready AMD technologies and enjoy incredible responsiveness when surfing, streaming, and casual gaming.

Join us as Don Woligroski, AMD’s Desktop Processor Product Marketing Manager, gives us a closer look at the newest product in the new AMD Athlon™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics.

Have a question for our experts? Don't wait until the event! Submit your question now.

Time/Date Calendar

Title:
Introducing the new AMD Athlon Desktop Processor with Radeon Vega Graphics

When: September 18, 2018
Time: 9AM CST [GMT-6]
EST: 10AM
SAST: 4PM
ART: 11AM
IST: 7:30PM
BST: 3PM
Duration: 30 minutes
Language: English
*Note: date and time are in [GMT-6].

The 200 GE...Intel finally gave up on the 2c/4t i3-and AMD stepped right in to fill the gap, with graphics. LOL
Interesting product line, but I wonder how lucrative it will be.

The 200 GE...Intel finally gave up on the 2c/4t i3-and AMD stepped right in to fill the gap, with graphics. LOL

To be honest it would be better with 4 cores 4 threads. I suppose if it runs on AM4 there is a very nice upgrade path and it lowers the price of entry.

Thats a decent price and almost forces upgrades. Looking at 145$ for board and cpu entry level. If only DDR4 prices would come down, this would be a no brainer for anyone needing a pc on the cheap.

Thats a decent price and almost forces upgrades. Looking at 145$ for board and cpu entry level. If only DDR4 prices would come down, this would be a no brainer for anyone needing a pc on the cheap.

It's not the best RAM but it will get the system up and running with RAM/CPU/GPU/Motherboard at the $220 price point. https://www.frys.com/product/9015817?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

A basic case, power supply and drive and you have a functional computer for probably around ~$450.

It's not the best RAM but it will get the system up and running with RAM/CPU/GPU/Motherboard at the $220 price point. https://www.frys.com/product/9015817?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

A basic case, power supply and drive and you have a functional computer for probably around ~$450.

Memory that costs a considerable amount more than a cpu and board is somewhat absurd in my opinion. But, can't win it all lol.

I've been looking at Ryzen 5 2600(X) bundles on NewEggUS in the 250$ range. Slap some 220$ memory sticks in and have a rig up and running for 470$ with 12 threads and that looks appealing honestly, providing you have everything else already.

I built an HTPC rig last year with a Ryzen 1400. It's a very decent setup. However I purchased the A320 chipset so no overclocking, cause I don't want to kill the family rig lol. Slaped in a GTX 770 and it's quite a decent setup. Easily get a few years from it. Bought the RAIJINTEK AENEAS micro ATX mid tower. Very nice case, but I literally used a shoe horn for the video card hah!
A66Z_130911122271942153aLxdyQ5nCT.jpg
20170522_1112521_zpsxpfrex2v.jpg

Memory that costs a considerable amount more than a cpu and board is somewhat absurd in my opinion. But, can't win it all lol.

I've been looking at Ryzen 5 2600(X) bundles on NewEggUS in the 250$ range. Slap some 220$ memory sticks in and have a rig up and running for 470$ with 12 threads and that looks appealing honestly, providing you have everything else already.

I built an HTPC rig last year with a Ryzen 1400. It's a very decent setup. However I purchased the A320 chipset so no overclocking, cause I don't want to kill the family rig lol. Slaped in a GTX 770 and it's quite a decent setup. Easily get a few years from it. Bought the RAIJINTEK AENEAS micro ATX mid tower. Very nice case, but I literally used a shoe horn for the video card hah!
View attachment 201216
View attachment 201217

LOL I know. I tried looking for less expensive RAM. Things have changed.

I just pieced together (on virtual paper) a decent little all around family rig for $450 with 8 GB of G.Skill DDR 4 2800. 120 GB boot drive, 2 TB of spinner storage, and an Asus B350 Prime mobo. Topped it off with a 400w SeaSonic Platinum with the savings. Based on a $55 AM4/Vega combo for $55, that is on great family computer for a small family that doesn't live on it and wouldn't know a megahertz from a gigabyte. Oh, and my price included W10 Pro. :D

This isn't going up against (former) i3 though, it is in the Celeron/Pentium category. I suspect the GPU power, higher or not than Intel's, is largely irrelevant as it'll still be too low for any serious modern gaming. So all you're getting is a slow CPU suited for low power applications. The market for this will be the cheap as possible boxes you see for people who don't care at all about performance, it is all about the price. They'll never upgrade it in its life and just replace it when they get too old.

I find these APU really interesting and I would probably get one for tests but I bet I will play 2-3 days and that's all. It's just because I'm using something much stronger in my small box. I still think it's a great option for any typical PC and for office work. If I won't quit my current job then I will probably offer some of these for our clients.

Its 35w compared to other low end processors, this is quite low tdp. Would be super easy to run passive cooling for silent pc.
Obviously the lower performance is lack of speed while the 200ge is only 3.2ghz.

After Woomack beats the snot out of it, we may see used sales around 25$!! :D

I haven't re-checked the thread, but these are understood to be locked CPUs and not overclockable.

I believe it is locked, but havent read any real clear information about overclocking these new Athlons.
I have read that its intended to replace the A6-9500E and has slightly better performance at a lower tdp.

Of all the people I know personally, two game (including me), one might try it. Everyone else sees their PC as an appliance. Facebook, email, Mapquest, and maybe streaming some video. Maybe the odd printing task and some bill paying. I don't find Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 rigs very unusual, I know of quite a few. What those people use a computer for doesn't need anything more. They upgrade-to the cheapest rig they can get-when the old one breaks. For 90% of what I do, a X6 1045T would be fine, with a R7 240. That's what's in my bedroom/backup rig.

The build I priced out would be for someone who doesn't even have a PC. She has a smart phone and doesn't feel a lack of anything.

Im running a quad Phenom. Its wattage usage is crazy for simple computing like you describe.

Yeah, but "high energy usage" is relative to the overall scale. My electric meter doesn't spool up like a J79 when I run a couple old rigs. A vacuum cleaner at 110v and 12 amps once a week probably uses more annually than an old PC.

So we a justifying NOT upgrading to a new Athlon because we compared it to a vacuum cleaner?
Half the tdp and 75% (give or take) better ipc.... Edit: additional comment... I mean in comparison to the last Athlon series which where we should be comparing. Last Athlons where what? 65nm?

Back