• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Athlon/Vega APU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm all aboard the upgrade train. But I know people with 7-8 year old Dells that are not going to spend $400+ dollars on a new computer. What they have does what they want. One is a semi single mother of two who doesn't own a PC. She isn't going to spend any money on one. For a lot of people the only advantage over a phone is the bigger screen.

Indeed the pc market died when smart phones are an easy cheap replacement. Theres even cameras for mobile shots. I do agree.
The argument stands that when come time to spend 400 bucks on personal computer, These ryzen based Athlons will be a good replacement.

Many pcs last years. A lot of people may still be back in the s754 days.
They all will assimilate....

Of all the people I know personally, two game (including me), one might try it. Everyone else sees their PC as an appliance. Facebook, email, Mapquest, and maybe streaming some video. Maybe the odd printing task and some bill paying. I don't find Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 rigs very unusual, I know of quite a few. What those people use a computer for doesn't need anything more. They upgrade-to the cheapest rig they can get-when the old one breaks. For 90% of what I do, a X6 1045T would be fine, with a R7 240. That's what's in my bedroom/backup rig.

The build I priced out would be for someone who doesn't even have a PC. She has a smart phone and doesn't feel a lack of anything.

Thank you!! That's Taco! You have descrived me in my current PC life-stage. All I ever turn PC on for is to listen to some music, make a job invoice or look at/delete some pictures from SD card.

Internet browsing happens on phone.

What have I done to myself:eh?::eh?:

Sounds beefy.
Alaric, you've been having pc slow-downs recently. Perhaps an upgrade is in order? 200GE looks like a perfect path!

From now on, I will certainly take a good look at the 200GE for customer builds. Sounds like it would be ideal for most of them since they don't do demanding things. And I'd like to start patronizing AMD again.

From now on, I will certainly take a good look at the 200GE for customer builds. Sounds like it would be ideal for most of them since they don't do demanding things. And I'd like to start patronizing AMD again.

That's the thing. For grandparents miles away who want to "do the Facebook", families without much money who still want to provide that resource for kids in school and check email, college students on a budget (I know, laptop. Except a $450 laptop will be a deluxe Chromebook). A $20 wireless mouse/keyboard combo and $100 tv or monitor, and little Johnny or Jane is off to get an edumakashian with their very own new computer for under $500. Hell, with my fixed income I hope that option is around when this rig won't do it anymore. I probably won't live that long, but still. :D

Hmm. Dell inspirion 15" 3000 is 329$. Features AMD 7th gen AM4 apu A6.

Id send grandma one of those!! But shes dead so pretty useless to her.

Over by us, those chromebooks are handed out by the schools for free.

When you die Alaric, there will be plenty of computing deals around. The bummer is like my grandparents.... Youll be dead and it wont matter to a person such as yourself. So find the deals now while your still consciously aware instead of being brain dead.

I just recieved the email from AMD telling me they were available now. Clicked on the link, went to newegg, and sold out within 30 seconds of the email. If all you want to build is a tablet in a tower, that's your chip. LOL

edit: Although, the big bite for a budget build is still DDR 4. Those prices still hurt.

Back