• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build and 1st time builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Francis2

I just built a desktop using the A10-5800K CPU. The case is a Corsair 400R and the board is a MSI FM2-A85XA-G65. Everything worked the first time I turned it on. I checked the CPU temps in the BIOS and it seems to hover around 45C.
I also checked it in HWMonitor CPUID and it hovers around 37-38 C. Stock cooler and no overclocking. I was wondering where should this CPU be at idle. The net is full of contradictory data on this CPU so I am not sure. At some point I would like to overclock, and replace the stock cooler with something better. The build is for a family member so I want to make sure they are not going to have any issues down the road with the CPU.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Francis, welcome aboard!

What you need to do is check the CPU socket temp under full load. Idle temps don't tell us much.

With HWMonitor open on the desktop, run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes and then post back with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface. Here's how to attach a pic:

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc if it includes surrounding irrelevant desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

The package temp (what we used to call "core" temp) reporting by the FM2 APUs seems to be off on the high side so we are finding that it is better to rely on the motherboard socket temp. HWMonitor gives both but you may need help in identifying the socket temp readout line as it can be given a generic label in HWMonitor.

Typically, OEM heatsinks give little if any thermal room for overclocking.

There are Many upon Many ideas when it comes to cooling. Water over Air is always on top. Which should u choose? Which one is better? Best place to make a choice like that is in the Cooling forms. Everyone is going to have something different to say and personal preference. Going with a first time build u were brave to go with AMD CPU as they require lots of OC and Twiking. But there are plenty of forms to cover this. If price is an issue what kind of ranges are u working with in reference to your cooling idea? Air is going to be cheaper then watercooling.

And WELCOME to overclockers. Im new too Plenty of info.

If I do choose aftermarket cooling I would probably go with air. I will not attempt to OC until I have a handle on the A10 and it's temps. I bought this on New Egg and read lot's of reviews which were really positive, but the one major complaint was that these things run hot even before OCing.

If I do choose aftermarket cooling I would probably go with air. I will not attempt to OC until I have a handle on the A10 and it's temps. I bought this on New Egg and read lot's of reviews which were really positive, but the one major complaint was that these things run hot even before OCing.

the hyper 212 evo is a pretty good cooler (AFAIK)

I lean the same as the other guys, air cool it if it is not going to live with you.
lets see the hardware monitor screensot that Mr.trents mentioned so we know where you are starting at please.

I second air cool, but that's a personal choice.Concerning air.The Hyper 212 plus or the 212 Evo is a good starting point, and inexpensive.I don't mean cheap in a bad way, just cost effective.Very effective cooling solution.Once you have cooling under control you will be in the position to overclock.Having better cooling, and staying at default clock speeds will give you a baseline.Another tip. Read the forums under amd cpu's.There is so much good information in this forum, its a waste not to use that resource.This will also help you pin down questions you have or never thought of yet.

Last edited:
3rd on the 212evo. It will get you familiar with OCing until you decide to go liquid. As for your question, your temps seem perfectly fine.

I recently built up a system using the exact same CPU. Great chip for most uses, but it is warm. I have a Zalman cooler on top of it, keeps things reasonable, my Socket temp stays at about 55c full load on both CPU+GPU running F@H with it overclocked to 4.3Ghz. It seems to get this chip to OC and be stable due to it pumping so much heat it likes voltage, which makes more heat. Im not comfortable pushing it much harder for a 24/7 machine but it gets the job done.

There are Many upon Many ideas when it comes to cooling. Water over Air is always on top.

Erm... not always...

Those AIO Watercoolers (Thermaltake Water, Corsair Hydro, etc) are not always better than top end air coolers like the Noctua NH-D14 and the Phantek's double-heatsink CPU cooler. In some cases, the NH-D14 beats top-end AIO's.

It seems OP may have lost interest. Are we wasting our time and energy contributing to this thread?

No, just crazy busy

I appreciate all of the help, but it is crazy busy at work and at home. Hopefully it will settle down in a couple of weeks and I can actually accomplish a few of the suggestions posted here. By the way the build I just finished my 1st, was for a family member, so I have to remotely check things via Team Viewer (HW Monitor,etc,etc). I am slowly going to piece together another one for my family. Just purchased a Mid tower Haf 912 Advanced (USB 3.0 and painted black interior) for $ 54.99.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cooler-...2581?pt=US_Computer_Cases&hash=item53f7f0b3c5
Looking to do this as cheap as possible, but still use quality components.
Thanks for all of the help, will probably be lurking for the next couple of weeks...:grouphug:

Last edited:
Back