• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build/Builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carter333

Hey guys. Any ideas or help on this build would be appreciated. Im new to building a seriously gave a lot of thought to purchasing a pre-built system through Xidax and Digital Storm but decided to go the DIY route. Im currently awaiting parts to get started but figured id post my parts for any ideas. PC is mainly going to be used for gaming. IRacing and 1st person shooters mostly. The only problem ive ran into so far is the case I purchased does not have frontal 3.0 USB ports, and my mobo has a 3.0 header. Keep in mind this is a budget first time build, I have not yet purchased the GPU, OS, or Memory. So any ideas on changing anything is welcomed. Also Im aware that the PSU is overkill but I intended on getting a large enough one for future upgrades.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower
CPU: Intel Core I5 4690K Devils Canyon 3.5GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G1 Sniper Z97 ATX
Memory: G Skills Ripjaws X-series 16GB DDR3
Video Card: MSI G-Force GTX 960 2GB
Storage: WD Black-Series 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair CX 750 Semi-Mod Bronze
Optical Drive: Undecided

Solid build, but you'll likely want a card with more VRAM. Also, if you're paying for the OS (ie, you don't own a copy already), no reason not to get 8.1. If you intend on overclocking, an aftermarket cooler might be a good idea as well. Last suggestion is to get an SSD for your boot drive and a few most common apps or games.

Hey guys. Any ideas or help on this build would be appreciated. Im new to building a seriously gave a lot of thought to purchasing a pre-built system through Xidax and Digital Storm but decided to go the DIY route. Im currently awaiting parts to get started but figured id post my parts for any ideas. PC is mainly going to be used for gaming. IRacing and 1st person shooters mostly. The only problem ive ran into so far is the case I purchased does not have frontal 3.0 USB ports, and my mobo has a 3.0 header. Keep in mind this is a budget first time build, I have not yet purchased the GPU, OS, or Memory. So any ideas on changing anything is welcomed. Also Im aware that the PSU is overkill but I intended on getting a large enough one for future upgrades.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower
CPU: Intel Core I5 4690K Devils Canyon 3.5GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G1 Sniper Z97 ATX
Memory: G Skills Ripjaws X-series 16GB DDR3
Video Card: MSI G-Force GTX 960 2GB
Storage: WD Black-Series 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair CX 750 Semi-Mod Bronze
Optical Drive: Undecided

You will definitely want an SSD. I've been using one since 2011 and all the machines I use and build have one. Even if it's a cheap 120GB model, it will make a massive difference to the responsiveness of your machine. Please pick one up. Look at Crucial MX100/MX200/M550, Samsung 850 EVO, Intel 530/730.

You should have checked whether the case you chose had USB3 before you bought it. Thankfully, your motherboard will have a USB2 header for the front ports though so that's fine.

I disagree with your choice of a GTX 960. I would have gone with an R9 290 instead personally. You'll still get decent performance though.

Corsair CX power supplies are not very good. For a few more bucks you could have gotten a Corsair SSR G550 which is much much better.

WD Blacks are very good hard drives.

You will need an aftermarket cooler. No sense having a K CPU and a Z chipset and not overclocking. Also these things are frying pans with the stock cooler. Pick up, at minimum, a CM Hyper 212.

DO NOT buy Win 7. It's from 2009 for crying out loud. Buy 8.1. You can make it behave exactly like Win 7 with classic shell and there is zero learning curve. It is a snappier, faster loading OS. You'll get a free upgrade to Win 10 with either version of Windows, but don't get Win 7 regardless.

Optical drive you can pretty much buy anything you want, or nothing at all. Optical is obsolete. Most people use it for the OS and nothing else, and honestly, you can just buy a Windows key from Microsoft and download the Windows installer to a USB drive. It's a faster install thanks to the superior read speeds/seek time of a USB drive vs a disc. If you want an optical drive, I'd look at a Blu Ray drive, as you might as well have that capability. Remember that you will need Bluray playback software, which you will have to pay for. Drives bundles with the software are quite cheap these days.

Look at 1866 or 2133 Mhz Cas 9 RAM. 2X8GB. Don't waste all four slots by going 4X4.

How much budget do you have left?

Case is a bit dated, but still a good one.
Video card, any way you could step up to a 970? The 960 is good, but there's a large performance jump for ~$100 with a 970.
No need for an ODD.
Go for 8.1.

http://buildapc.nzxt.com/

Corsair CX power supplies are not very good. For a few more bucks you could have gotten a Corsair SSR G550 which is much much better.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the CX series of Corsair PSUs. I've deployed dozens of them in builds with absolutely no issues. They're highly rated and cost efficient.

I'm pretty close to budget with the current build, but I would consider going to the 970 if needed. No reason to build one of these if your not going to be patient, and save up the extra $100. I was going to put in a couple extra fans, but wasn't planning to an H2O cooler. Do you guys think temps will be okay? and yes I will be adding an SSD

I'm pretty close to budget with the current build, but I would consider going to the 970 if needed. No reason to build one of these if your not going to be patient, and save up the extra $100. I was going to put in a couple extra fans, but wasn't planning to an H2O cooler. Do you guys think temps will be okay? and yes I will be adding an SSD

You don't need a water cooler, the one recommended above is a good, decent priced air cooler that will give you plenty of room for moderate overclocks.

The whole point of a Z board and a K CPU is that you're going to overclock. You need an aftermarket cooler for that. You don't need a liquid cooler a Hyper 212 or better yet an NHD14 will be great.

If you don't buy the SSD at the same time as you buy the rest of the PC and you put windows on your HDD, you will need to move it or reinstall it to your SSD once you get it.

If you have to choose between one of the three, do it in this order of preference:
- SSD
- CPU Cooler

A 970 will give more tangible in-game improvement than an SSD, hence my order of recommendation.

Agreed, though an SSD will give you a more tangible improvement in everything but gaming (particularly online gaming, where load times aren't as relevant as pure video horsepower).

Decided to go with a 970, and im gonna pick up an SSD. Next question is... I'm looking at MSI or Gigabyte for the 970? Any benefit to branding to the motherboard? Or just preference, I'm leaning towards the quieter MSI. Also should those cards fit easily in the CM Haf 912?

Either one is going to be super quiet/cool, especially when compared to older-series cards from either camp. Except for maybe brand loyalty, I think the one I would go with in your case is whichever is cheaper when you purchase.

Well I can tell you that Gigabyte and EVGA are likely to be the most helpful and easiest to deal with if you ever have to RMA your card during the warranty period. ASUS, MSi... kind of "meh" RMA support there most of the time. Hell, Msi recently told a forum member on OCF that his Krait mobo, which was acting up quite severely was "operating normally". EVGA is probably going to be the most helpful, fastest RMA, least annoying questions asked option, and honestly, their lower end 970s are not half bad. The ACX 2.0 cooler is a good cooler, and the cards are relatively quiet. Yes, they use reference or near-reference PCBs while a card like the G1 or Strix would have more power bits and what not, but that doesn't make them bad cards.

I personally would only buy a GPU from Gigabyte or EVGA at this point based on other people's experiences that I have read over the years.

Im happy so far with my R9 270. Wish i would of got that SSD......

You can add the SSD and move your windows install over to it at any time. You'll appreciate the difference it makes.
Even cheap SSDs are pretty good now.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8861/crucial-announces-mx200-bx100-ssds-ssd-toolbox

Crucial's new BX100 has "bleh" writes and "yeah!!" reads. Since the write speed is less crucial (Get it? Crucial?) than the read speed, you can get away with buying a cheap SSD and still get great performance.
The 250GB BX100 is $99 on Amazon.com.

Last edited:
Thats my plan i wanna put my windows and most of my games on it.

Heck the 500gb is only $179!!!!!

Ya that's a pretty good deal as SSDs go. Just be aware that you won't get blazing fast writes out of it. I think the reads top out around 550MB/s and writes are like 440-480MB/s. Not horrible, but not cutting edge either. Mind you I wish my Intel 510 had that kind of performance and I payed well over $2/GB for it back in 2011. For <50 cents/GB you're getting a good deal with the BX ssd's.

Back