• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Complete: No Go

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sawacs

Registered
I just completed a i5 9600k/Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master build and went to power the system up and it wasn't good.

The power would come on, fans spooled up but that was it. There is a red led on the mobo specific to the CPU that is lit up red. The power stays on for 10 seconds then cuts off and back on again at which time the orange bios led switches to the alternate and the cycle continues from there: power off then comes back on for 10 seconds and back off again switching between the bios each time.

Do you guys have any way to know if the CPU or Mobo is bad based on the codes?

Cheers!

.....what is the code?

Did you try resetting the cmos?

What troubleshooting have you done so far?

I don't have any suggestions but I do have an observation and that is we are seeing an unusual number of stories lately similar to yours involving the Intel 9xxx series CPUs and Z390 motherboards.

Did you buy the components online or from a brick and mortar store?

Check for bent socket pins. Try one stick of RAM at a time in all slots.

As ED suggested, reset the CMOS with jumper and check to see if there is a newer bios in Gigabyte's website. Read the descriptor for it and see if it was issued to correct problems like you are experiencing. I have a feeling you are going to wind up RMAing the motherboard, however.

Last edited:
but I do have an observation and that is we are seeing an unusual number of stories lately similar to yours involving the Intel 9xxx series CPUs and Z390 motherboards.
We are?

Last edited:
I purchased the mobo from Newegg and the processor from Amazon.

Regarding codes, there were no codes I could visually see but rather a red LED only next to the CPU led. No memory led's or anything like that. Where is this CPU code thingy I am looking for?

After inspecting the pins, I did notice a row of the pins looked like they were leaning over? In fact after closer inspection, all of the pins that can bend are bent way forward and to the right. Maybe that is the problem after all. I next day aired a new mobo and CPU and am returning the current CPU and mobo. Hopefully, round two will work out better. Regarding the pins, I was under the impression they are supposed to bend a little in the same direction but they supposed to all bend in a uniform manner.

The disturbing thing about the mobo, is the box did not have a sticker seal on it and it appeared as though the tape from the static bag on the mobo had been removed and replaced. Maybe some dingleberry got his hands on the mobo and bent the pins then returned it... lol

Here is a pic of the mobo pins

medium.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have actually gotten a returned item. But your description of the bent socket pins was a little confusing. They are not straight pins to begin with but kind of like tabs. What you look for are ones that lean in a different way from most of them.

You can see the pins towards the top are really bent compared to the others.. Oh well, I'll see what happens when the new parts arrived..

Btw, my old Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler did not fit. It was very very close but no cigar:D However, the one saving grace is I did order the 212 evo cooler which I am not too impressed with mounting wise. I am sure it will work but it isn't the same quality as the Prolimatech cooler.

What was the name of that monster cooler that was recommended?

Cheers!

All pins look good to me...

Edit: wait... looks like 6 on the RIGHT are bent...

There is a debug led on the board (bottom right)... it doesnt have a code on it?

But yeah, return that board.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've never thought the CM 212 evo mounting system was very good.

The cooler I mentioned earlier is the Noctua NH-D15: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045 It has the best mounting system I have ever used.

About bent pins. You have to turn the socket at various angles to spot them sometimes and you usually don't see an entire area bent but one or several within an area. Not sure from the one picture you attached I would conclude there were any bent pins. Best to check a new board for that before you install the CPU.

Last edited:
The board and processor are on the way back and new ones will be here Wednesday. Even though I ordered via next day air, Newegg was kind enough to give me a credit to make up for the shipping cost difference between the last board: basically next day air was free.

Other than that, I am hoping the next board actually works. However, after reading the Gigabyte forums, I wouldn't be surprised if this board become a paperweight or a range target. I mean they can't even get XMP to work correctly and they are on version 7 of the bios.

Cheers!

That's too often been my experience with Gigabyte over the years. Great, rugged hardware but half-baked bioses. I mostly buy ASRock these days. You'll get a bad apple with all of them once in a while, however.

Version 7 already! That's really turning them out for a chipset that hasn't been out that long.

The board and processor are on the way back and new ones will be here Wednesday. Even though I ordered via next day air, Newegg was kind enough to give me a credit to make up for the shipping cost difference between the last board: basically next day air was free.

Other than that, I am hoping the next board actually works. However, after reading the Gigabyte forums, I wouldn't be surprised if this board become a paperweight or a range target. I mean they can't even get XMP to work correctly and they are on version 7 of the bios.

Cheers!
As I mentioned earlier, I have reviewed (reviewing currently) this board. The XMP profile works fine for me and the ram I use F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW. Is your RAM on their QVL list? It isn't The Gospel, but if it isn't on there and doesn't work, it kind of makes sense. :)

Also, you say version 7 as if they had 7 BIOS'. They started on F4 as the release BIOS... so there are 4 BIOS versions out in 4 months. This is normal and what I call good support. :)

I circled where I thought I saw bent pins. Not sure if this is the 'top' (it is the top of the socket, but the picture is sideways, LOL) though...

medium2.jpg

Soooooooooo, is what I circled in my image where you found bent pins????

I know what your RAM is already as you mentioned it. I asked if it was in the QVL list. :)

RE: The bios count...you are reading it wrong. :)

As I just said... the latest BIOS version is F7, but as you can see, it starts out at F4 for the public. That was the first release. So there are FOUR(4) BIOS' for the public after the board was released.

4bios.jpg

It took them three in house tries, hey, before they felt confident to release the fourth one to the public?

Still not sure I see any bent pins, in that area you circled, ED. We need more camera and light angles.

It is quite common to have multiple BIOS revisions pre-release, absolutely. Some may start out on F1 or 1.0, but that doesn't mean there weren't revisions prior to release either. Some just start the public versions from '1'. :)

Since the public doesn't really see these and are not available to them, they have 4 iterations available after release. 7 in total... but why are we counting ones that the public never sees? Normal stuff to have revs before release.. its how they aren't typically piles of garbage when they are released. ;)

Last edited:
Earthdog, I was under the impression the bios releases were up to 7. However, what you explained makes sense and it appears I was a little ignorant distinguishing between in-house and public releases. However, all of the posts that I have seen on the Gigabyte forums relate to the bios release number at 7 regardless of pre-public release or not as they are still considered to be bios revisions. I have no problems with the number of bios revisions so long as they get it correct and the system functions as it supposed to.

Regarding the pins, it is really hard to tell. The photo was actually taken through a magnifying glass and cell phone. I might check later and see if I can make a better determination about whether the pins are bent or not.

They are up to seven, but just 4 were ever available to the public. I don't 'count' them if they are not available to the public is all (I think I just split a hair there, sorry). But 4 BIOS in as many months is a good thing and quite normal.

You keep saying its hard to tell form the ever, but I am not sure you ever confirmed that what I circled is where you saw the bent pins... is what I circled where you saw the bad pins?????

Last edited:
They are up to seven, but just 4 were ever available to the public. I don't 'count' them if they are not available to the public is all (I think I just split a hair there, sorry). But 4 BIOS in as many months is a good thing and quite normal.

You keep saying its hard to tell form the ever, but I am not sure you ever confirmed that what I circled is where you saw the bent pins... is what I circled where you saw the bad pins?????

Earthdog, you are correct and my apology for not confirming.. I am a little :screwy: today:p

The pins that I thought were bent were the ones located at the top of the photo. They appeared to be bent more than the others along with being canted upwards toward the top of the photo more.

On another note, the parts arrive tomorrow with the exception of the Noctua D15 which will be here Thursday: oh the waiting...:bang head

Hope this helps

One piece of advice I have is to set up the system outside the case initially to make sure it works. That does two things. First, it eliminates electrical ground out issues having to do with the case and second, if it still doesn't work you don't have to go to the trouble of disassembly to RMA. If it doesn't work this time I'd be looking at getting some different RAM.

Back