• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build: CPU Multi won't go over 40?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leegit

I got my new build setup last week: i7 6700k + EVGA Z170 Stinger + (2x 8GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200 MHz ...OR... 2x 4GB HyperX DDR4 2400 MHz) ---> NO GPU is the system atm. using Kraken x61 cooler... OS is Win 10 Pro 64-bit

...and I've slowing been going through and checking for stability. Here is a list of things I've encountered so far, in chronologically order:

1. CMOS Checksum Error when I turn it on for the first time? Left everything on default with 2x 8GB Corsair Vengence @ 2133 MHz... Boots into Windows then I ran SuperPI 1M, 32M, and Prime95 Small FFT for 10 mins.
2. Up the RAM to 3200 MHz using XMP 1, running SuperPi 32M, I was getting screen tearing / monitor flicker.
3. Lowered RAM to 3000 MHz, ran SuperPi 1M, 32M, and Prime 95 Small FFT for 5 mins. No tearing/flickering.
4. Set CPU to manual and set multilpier to x42 @ 1.3V and lowered RAM to 2133 MHz, ran SuperPi 1M, 32M, Prime95 Small FFT for 5 mins (average temp 65C). Shows 4000 and 1.20V in HWMonitor as I forgot to turn off EIST.
5. Turned off EIST. Wouldn't boot to OS, reset CMOS and retried -> wouldn't boot to OS

Reset settings to default, reset CMOS, flashed 1.08 BIOS, powered down, unplugged PSU, removed CMOS battery and waited 5 mins, swapped RAM from 2x8GB Corsair Vengence 2133 MHz to 1x4GB HyperX at 2400 MHz ---> Boots to OS

6. Left it on default settings, ran SuperPi 32M, Prime95 Small FFT for 5 mins (average temp 44C)
7. Added second RAM stick, now on 2x 4GB HyperX 2400 MHz, CMOS Bad Time Error + CMOS Checksum Error. Ran SuperPI 32M (average temp 39C)
8. Disabled C-States -> Boots, ran SuperPI 32M (average temp 38C)
9. Restart and get CMOS errors, Disabled EIST -> Boots to OS
10. Set CPU to manual, set CPU multiplier to x42 @ 1.25V -> boots but shows 4000 MHz and 1.20V in BIOS and HWMonitor... :bang head
11. Set CPU to manual, set CPU multiplier to x38 @ 1.15V -> boots and shows 3800 MHz and 1.15V in BIOS and HWMonitor...

So it seems like I'm getting lots of CMOS errors and my CPU refuses to go over a multiplier of 40+? Any advice on what to do :confused:

Posting so I'll see this later, not at my PC now, but I run 4.5 GHz on my Stinger/6700K.

Under Advanced > CPU Configuration > CPU Information it says Maximum Frequency 4000 MHz ... o_O ... Is that correct? Still can't get the multiplier to lock in higher than 40?!? Ran prime 95 blend for 10 mins and have no problems at stock...

For your Ram running at 3200MHz use XMP and Vccio changed to 1.165v
Vccsa (System Agent) changed to 1.275v save settings and reboot.

I know it wont solve your problem how you want it to, But try to lower the multiplier and up the BLCK. Say 25 multiplier and 200 BLCK (Should be 4.5GHz)
Also dont forget to lower your RAM speed after you up the BLCK

pcie being tied to blck i dont see that working out, i mean it should in theroy but there is no option to manually set the pcie speed. sometimes the right speed isnt set or you get the right speed with higher blck even if it is suppose to be locked. if you had the option for manual pcie, i would say set it to 101mhz and then start jacking with the blck.

to high a pcie speed = corrupt HDD partion/data/possible MBR. can cause problems with the video card, sound card, any thing connected/using the pcie buss.

pcie being tied to blck i dont see that working out, i mean it should in theroy but there is no option to manually set the pcie speed. sometimes the right speed isnt set or you get the right speed with higher blck even if it is suppose to be locked. if you had the option for manual pcie, i would say set it to 101mhz and then start jacking with the blck.

to high a pcie speed = corrupt HDD partion/data/possible MBR. can cause problems with the video card, sound card, any thing connected/using the pcie buss.

This. I don't recall having an option for BCLK straps on the Stinger.

On the CPU not running above 4 GHz thing, I'd suggest downloading hwinfo64 and in the sensors part of that, look for a section of various status flags. One of them mentions various current limits. If that is tripping, you need to relax the limit in bios. Encountered this and took me a while to find previously.

Isnt skylake BLCK tied to RAM and CPU only?

This. I don't recall having an option for BCLK straps on the Stinger.

I meant the BLCK overclocking setting (For me its just BLCK lol)

Thanks for the help all. I got it working :clap: I have it set at 4500 with 1.3V, still shows 1.2V though in HWMonitor :confused:

4500_3200 Prime 95 Blend.png

Having nothing to do, I took the time yesterday to setup my 280 mm rad in a push/pull config with the included 2x NZXT fans and 2x Fractal GP-14s that I took from my old R4 case.

Stopped for the night then woke up today and reset everything to default. It started working :shock: :cry: :attn:

Welcome to HWMonitor on Skylake... LOL. Very few pieces of software read vCore correctly on these chips, I trust CPUz for this.

Glad it's working though!!

Isnt skylake BLCK tied to RAM and CPU only?

I meant the BLCK overclocking setting (For me its just BLCK lol)

No, it's tied to the whole system. There are some boards with BCLK (not BLCK) "straps" which allow you to run higher BCLK and keep the other devices at 100MHz.

Welcome to HWMonitor on Skylake... LOL. Very few pieces of software read vCore correctly on these chips, I trust CPUz for this.

Glad it's working though!!

No, it's tied to the whole system. There are some boards with BCLK (not BLCK) "straps" which allow you to run higher BCLK and keep the other devices at 100MHz.

I thought Skylake had a seperate PCIe and IO clock? That's why it can hit such high BCLKs compared to Haswell

I thought Skylake had a seperate PCIe and IO clock? That's why it can hit such high BCLKs compared to Haswell

I was thinking it was still tied together. Am I getting Haswell and Skylake mixed up now??

well since i dont have a z100 to mess with and i havent try to oc my current z97. if you can increase bclk with out any pcie issues then go for it, as from another thread where someone was looking at a asus board. i noticed on the info page on the manufactures site, it shows that its possible to hit a 400 bclk! i figured this would have been big news in the overclocking world yet i havent seen any posts about this or any one hitting that high.

Back