• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5 8600k won't go above 4.3 Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sacharutten

Registered
Hi,

I am having problems overclocking. If I manually overclock to 4.7 Ghz (Air Cooler), Prime 95 is stable, although I cannot benchmark using 3DMark or play games, because they will crash. I have brought down the multiplier to 4.4 Ghz and I am still having the same issues.

However, when I use the Enhanced Turbo feature, and bring all cores up to 4.3 Ghz (Max Turbo), everything works.

Am I doing something wrong in the BIOS or could it be my graphics card that is causing the problem, because it's pretty outdated?

Also, I have the same problem if I enable XMP. Any tips for this? Games will crash if I set anything above 2133 Mhz.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 8600k
RAM: 16 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 760 DC2OC 2GB
PSU: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold Certified

MSI Click BIOS 5 Settings:
OC Explore Mode: Expert
CPU Ratio: 47
CPU Ratio Mode: Fixed Mode
CPU Ratio Offset When Running AVX: -3
CPU Core Voltage: 1.320
CPU SA Voltage: 1.200
CPU IO Voltage: 1.200
DRAM Voltage: 1.360
CPU Loadline Calibration Control: Mode 4
Intel C-State: Disabled

try loadine calibration, mode 1.
leave memory set to xmp.
an old gpu is fine.

Does the crashing happen at stock speeds on the cpu?

What part does it freeze in 3dmark? The graphics test or cpu test?

Does it happen in one or all games?

Does the crashing happen at stock speeds on the cpu?

What part does it freeze in 3dmark? The graphics test or cpu test?

Does it happen in one or all games?

If i have XMP disabled and run the CPU at stock speeds, everything works fine.
3DMark crashes just a couple of seconds into the first GPU test. (Don't have premium to test CPU first)
It happens in all games I tried to play.

So can you manually overclock (not max turbo) to 4.7 without xmp and it works?

Is the bios on your board updated to the latest version?

So can you manually overclock (not max turbo) to 4.7 without xmp and it works?

Is the bios on your board updated to the latest version?

Nope, it only works at stock (with Turbo to 4.3).

I don't think so, I bought it last week though. Will definitly do it once I'm home.

Edit: It works if I'm testing Prime95 at 4.7 Ghz (ran it for 30 minutes), but not 3DMark or games.

Passing P95 could be as simple as an "auto" setting for AVX offset in BIOS so the system is dropping the multi when using AVX.
First thing I would try is to set defaults in BIOS (F6) then reboot back to BIOS and select XMP. Start from there and see if you can do anything. It's possible you have a ram issue but need more testing

Passing P95 could be as simple as an "auto" setting for AVX offset in BIOS so the system is dropping the multi when using AVX.
First thing I would try is to set defaults in BIOS (F6) then reboot back to BIOS and select XMP. Start from there and see if you can do anything. It's possible you have a ram issue but need more testing

I have set it to defaults a couple of times. When I boot it works, then I go back into the BIOS and enable XMP, and crashes start to happen again.
I don't know if it's a ram issue, because when I disable XMP and manually overclock it also doesn't work.
So overclocking something just doesn't work.

I would start by testing the ram sticks and slots. Start with the sticks test each one in the second slot individually. See if one stick will run at XMP then test the other. If that passes then test the individual slots to see if they work, if both sticks won't pass in slot two try a different slot, it's a process of elimination.
And as E_D said update your BIOS first.

On my motherboard, the AVX "Auto" in bios translates to 0. So it might be better to enter a value manually.

- - - Updated - - -

sacharutten, you say you are using "air cooling". Can you be more specific? What make and model of air cooler are you using and have you checked core/package/motherboard/CPU temps to see if high temps are the cause of your instability? What is the make and model of your case? Tell us about your case fans and ventilation.

core/package/motherboard/CPU temps to see if high temps are the cause of your instability?
Good thinking, but P95 is like 20C+ warmer than games and he can't get through the first few seconds of a GPU benchmark. He is 'stable' in P95, but not in games and 3DMark. Regardless, this information is good to have, but I don't think temperatures are the culprit according to his symptoms. :)

Last edited:
Re

On my motherboard, the AVX "Auto" in bios translates to 0. So it might be better to enter a value manually.

- - - Updated - - -

sacharutten, you say you are using "air cooling". Can you be more specific? What make and model of air cooler are you using and have you checked core/package/motherboard/CPU temps to see if high temps are the cause of your instability? What is the make and model of your case? Tell us about your case fans and ventilation.

Okay, these are my pc specs:
CPU: intel i5 8600k
CPU fan: Cryorig H7
GPU: Asus GTX 760 DC2OC 2 GB
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Case: NZXT S340 Elite with the 2 standard nzxt fans that come with it (top en front) and i installed a third one (CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120) at the rear

My temps after doing prime 95 for 30 minutes, 3DMark and like 30 minutes of playing CSGO (on stock settings for cpu, gpu and ram (2133mhz)):
Mobo: around 40 C
GPU: around 70 C
CPU: around 50-55 C

Not that this will fix the issue... but to be sure, that rear fan is exhausting as well as the top, correct? Which leaves the front fan for intake... yes?

I would start by testing the ram sticks and slots. Start with the sticks test each one in the second slot individually. See if one stick will run at XMP then test the other. If that passes then test the individual slots to see if they work, if both sticks won't pass in slot two try a different slot, it's a process of elimination.
And as E_D said update your BIOS first.

I just tested both my ram sticks in all 4 dimm slots. So I rebooted and tested 3DMark 8 times if you get what I am saying. Everything booted, in 2 situations my system had a lot of interrupts(ramstick1 in B2 and ramstick2 in B1), so I had to hold my power button 5 secs to shut if off. Every configuration crashed 3DMark. I had XMP enabled all 8 times.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, I also updated the BIOS. And yes that is the configuration of my fans.

So, to be clear, you tested each stick in proper slot for one stick (see manual for which slot is used for a single stick). You will want to reset to default, reboot to bios, power off. Put new stick in... boot to bios, set XMP, save and reboot then and see what happens.

When you set XMP profile, what does the BIOS say the voltage is running at? Can you post BIOS images (FAT32 usb stick, save images there then host here, not 3rd party) please showing those settings?

Is the ram you bought on the memory compatibility list (see MSI website for your board for the l ist)?

That B1 and B2 slot issue can you be more specific. Sounds like opposite sticks failed in opposite slots. Which is kind of odd.

3rd party hosting FTL... :(

Anyway, SA and IO voltage are way high...1.3x and 1.25xV is a lot for 3200 Mhz.

So, having ramstick1 in B2 caused a lot of system interrupts and ramstick2 caused a lot of interrupts in B1. It fixed itself after restarting a couple of times tho.

Back