• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5 8600k won't go above 4.3 Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3rd party hosting FTL... :(

Anyway, SA and IO voltage are way high...1.3x and 1.25xV is a lot for 3200 Mhz.

I thought the same too E_D way too high. I found this on MSI forum seems they have been having some issues with that on other boards as well. https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=304010.0

sacharutten. Clear the settings again and try something for me. Don't use XMP, MSI has this Memory Try it section. I want to see if the board will setup better if left to it's own rather than using XMP. There should be an option for 3200 Cl16, just selct it and reboot

NB frequency (cache) is at 4000 mhz. Is that correct for an 8600k?

Anyway, it's beginning to sound like a memory issue or a motherboard issue to me. I suggest running memtest86.

So what do you recommend me doing at this point? Because I don't want to break anything, it's my first time overclocking. I have done my research on the voltage tho. As I understand it is 1.3 -1.35 volts max for CPU and SA and IO around 1.10-1.20 volts?

- - - Updated - - -

Ill do it right now.

https://gyazo.com/a464077cbc269023dfdf9ee1d8b0f98a

I set the Mem Try It and it still crashes 3DMark.

The set of ram is not on the qvl list of the motherboard, but the motherboard is on the qvl list of the ram kit I have. Which is also wierd to me, before buying I only checked the qvl list of the ram so I thought it was okay. Pretty stupid of me.

Last edited:
Please host the images here. Third party will go away eventually.

EDIT: Just because it isn't on the list does not mean it will not work... just that it wasn't confimed...

Last edited:
To attach images with your posts as opposed to linking them, use the "Go Advanced" option in the lower right corner of any new post window.

So have you tried each RAM stick individually in each motherboard slot?

Have you tried manually lowering the IO and the SA voltage according to Earth Dog's observation in post #19?

And should we be looking a GPU driver issues if the instability only happens when stressing the GPU in 3DMark?

Last edited:
https://gyazo.com/a464077cbc269023dfdf9ee1d8b0f98a

I set the Mem Try It and it still crashes 3DMark.

The set of ram is not on the qvl list of the motherboard, but the motherboard is on the qvl list of the ram kit I have. Which is also wierd to me, before buying I only checked the qvl list of the ram so I thought it was okay. Pretty stupid of me.

The kit has been tested with the motherboard, so there fine. Did both your sticks fail testing with XMP when you tested them individually?

I can only upload images under 20 mb, bios screenshots are 22 mb, sorry for that. I have set IO and SA to 1.200 and still doesn't work. I have updated an clean installed nvidia drivers a couple of times and used earlier nvidia drivers.

Yes individually xmp also failed.

I'll try it tommorow, not home anymore until tommorow evening, will let you know how it went.

You can also use Irfanview to resample the pictures in order to reduce the size.

Just to test try DDR voltage 1.40v. Use paint a convert to JPG.

Hi, i'm back home, I just set the RAM speed to 2400 Mhz, just to try and I got a BSOD.
It said: Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error.

I will try the 1.4V now on the DDR.

The 1.4V doesn't work. 3DMark still crashes.

Last edited:
I found out what the problem is I think...
I removed my GPU and used the onboard Graphics (UHD Graphics 630).
I enabled XMP and overclocked to 4.6 Ghz (could go higher, but just to test) and everything worked. 3DMark didn't and I could play games.
So I think there is a problem with the Nvidia driver or there is something wrong with my GPU.

Anyone any suggestions on that?

I was leaaning that way just clean the driver first with DDU and try an older driver for your card. New drivers are optimized for new cards. The 760 is a couple generations old now go back to the last driver if that doesn't work then try one 6 months old

That GTX 760 is pretty dated anyway. Time for an upgrade in the GPU department. Too bad they are so outrageously expensive right now.

Back