• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5 8600k won't go above 4.3 Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, yesterday I tried to use my GT320 to do tests, but it didn't even boot (just black screen). It's been lying in the closet for like 4 years so I guess it's just dead.
I tried putting the GTX 760 into the other PCI slot, this gave the same result in terms of 3DMark and games (didn't work).
I tried uninstalling Nvidia drivers with DDU and installing a driver from november 2017. This also didn't work.
I have no idea what to do next. Think I'll just wait until new Nvidia GPU's release and buy a new one. Hopefully it's just my GPU and not my motherboard or anything else.
For now I just have to live with stock speeds I guess, unless someone has another way to fix it.

So it's stable at stock speeds with the GTX 760 installed? If so, that does not point to the video card as the problem.

What about flashing the bios to the latest version? I don't think anyone has mentioned trying that yet. The current bios version could be buggy or corrupt.

Last edited:
So it's stable at stock speeds with the GTX 760 installed? If so, that does not point to the video card as the problem.

What about flashing the bios to the latest version? I don't think anyone has mentioned trying that yet. The current bios version could be buggy or corrupt.

Already updated bios.

Have you researched this issue on the internet to see if others who have that same motherboard are experiencing similar problems? Were you having these problems before updating the bios. It's not uncommon for bios updates to be buggy such that people need to roll back to an earlier version.

I have the same problem, but with completely new build.
My current setup:
Gtx 1080ti rog strix
I5 8600k
ASRock z370 pro4
G.skill Ripjaws 3200 c16
Psu chieftec 850w

So, my problem is nearly the same. First of all I OCed my i5 to 5.0ghz with 1.39v and that's stable for me (tested with prime95 no avx for 1h and <85°). But, when I try to run any GPU benchmark it becomes unstable and my PC just turns off in 3DMark or userbenchmark gpu test (and every time in the same moment). Never bsod. Just turns off and reboot.

Then I tried to run that tests with stock CPU core and see whats going on. And it crashed again. Then tried xmp off and it passed! A few times in a row... I can only use my rig in a stock?

Then i tried to make some tests with my old gtx 760 and it runs perfect any stress situation with CPU 5.0ghz and xmp on. I checked MSI afterburner graphics to see that exactly moment when my PC turns off and that was peak of GPU FB usage. So it looks like that peak of gpu frames buffer usage causes instability in my system. And that is GPU issue, right?:confused::confused::confused:

In Tuesday I'll try my luck with another PSU 1,2kw. I still hope that this is not GPU issue.. how can i proceed RMA with GPU if it just works fine with stock system :(

PS I used DDU, even more I completely reinstall my OC. Didn't use any settings in bios, all default from the box.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, but with completely new build.
My current setup:
Gtx 1080ti rog strix
I5 8600k
ASRock z370 pro4
G.skill Ripjaws 3200 c16
Psu chieftec 850w

So, my problem is nearly the same. First of all I OCed my i5 to 5.0ghz with 1.39v and that's stable for me (tested with prime95 no avx for 1h and <85°). But, when I try to run any GPU benchmark it becomes unstable and my PC just turns off in 3DMark or userbenchmark gpu test (and every time in the same moment). Never bsod. Just turns off and reboot.

Then I tried to run that tests with stock CPU core and see whats going on. And it crashed again. Then tried xmp off and it passed! A few times in a row... I can only use my rig in a stock?

Then i tried to make some tests with my old gtx 760 and it runs perfect any stress situation with CPU 5.0ghz and xmp on. I checked MSI afterburner graphics to see that exactly moment when my PC turns off and that was peak of GPU FB usage. So it looks like that peak of gpu frames buffer usage causes instability in my system. And that is GPU issue, right?:confused::confused::confused:

In Tuesday I'll try my luck with another PSU 1,2kw. I still hope that this is not GPU issue.. how can i proceed RMA with GPU if it just works fine with stock system :(

PS I used DDU, even more I completely reinstall my OC. Didn't use any settings in bios, all default from the box.

If your saying you only have a problem running XMP then the problem is the memory not the PSU. Try one stick of memory at a time running XMP to see if you have one stick unable to run XMP speed stable. If running the sticks separately with XMP and the PC is not stable then you will have to try lowering the memory speed or increase memory timings for stability.

If your saying you only have a problem running XMP then the problem is the memory not the PSU. Try one stick of memory at a time running XMP to see if you have one stick unable to run XMP speed stable. If running the sticks separately with XMP and the PC is not stable then you will have to try lowering the memory speed or increase memory timings for stability.

I experience crashes not only with xmp on. Every single hardware element, if it's slightly overclocked causes system reboot. OC GPU with Asus profiles, like extreeme, silent or OC - crash. Slightly OC CPU over 4,3 - crash. Turn on xmp - crash.. I haven't tried to use 1 stick of ram thought.. I'll definitely try, thanks.
And.. why is my system absolute stable with 5.0 GHz CPU and xmp on with another GPU?? Like 10+times in a row in both 3dmark and userbenchmark test. If the problem is with GPU that would be the worst case for me.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

1 stick of ram - 0 results

If everything works fine with default setting, then the overclocking is the problem. Overclock one thing at a time and test for stability.

If everything works fine with default setting, then the overclocking is the problem. Overclock one thing at a time and test for stability.

Already did it. Tried every single combination. Only xmp - crash. Only CPU, even bios profile 4.4ghz - crash. Only GPU with factory profiles - crash. All default without anithing OC - works fine!!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

And this is only in GPU stress tests like 3dmark, userbenchmark or Asus realbench.

Then you have 3 separate things (CPU, GPU, memory) that you are overclocking causing crashing work on one at a time with overclocking. Adjusting settings to run your PC out of stock specification is a art.

Back