• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - CPU won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DBA

Registered
Hi Guys,

I just got finished building a new computer and it won't boot to the bios. I don't know if it is the gpu or the cpu. I am sli-ing two msi 980s. My symptoms are as follows: I'll press the power button and the cpu will power on right away, power off for a second (like it's power cycling) and then power back on. I have verified my swiftech aio has power to it, the fans in the cpu are spinning. However, only one of each gpu fans are spinning. Each gpu card has two fans.

I have taken out each of the 980s to make sure it wasn't them but i am still getting the same issue. My next step is to take off the cpu/heatsink, wipe off the thermal paste, and reseat.

In the meantime, any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Yeah sorry.

Hardware as follows:

CPU - Intel i7-5820 k
Mobo - Asrock X99X Fatal1ty Killer motherboard
RAM - 4 x 4 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
GPU -- MSI GTX 980 Gaming SLI'd
PSU - Dark Power Pro 1200W t
Heatsink - Swiftech h240

aux power has power? easy to leave that one out.

I installed all of the standoffs that came with the case.

I'll check the psu aux power, but probably won't be able to till morning.

Thanks.

You said you installed all the standoffs that came with the case, did you make sure that only standoffs that were needed for your form factor were installed? Just to make sure that there are no unnecessary standoffs making contact with the back of the MOBO.

Thanks for the suggestion Logan, I took apart my case and took out two extra standoffs i didn't need.
I believe the issue was the ATX 12V Power Connector had come loose and wasn't properly seated. I unplugged it and reseated and the computer came on and went to the BIOS!

On another note, I was checking in the bios to make sure all my devices are being read and saw that my CPU temp was around 33 degrees celsius. I think my room temp is about 73 degrees farenheit. Does that temp seem high for a swiftech h240 under idle?

Edit: It's in a pull config.

Thanks for all your help guys and for the quick reply Earthdog.

Back