• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build first time water cooling need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikejs

Hi I am planning my new rig and would like to water cool it I was inspired by this guy's post over at corsair forums here so far I have the following parts

Case Corsair Obsidian 700D
Mobo Asus P6X58D-E
PSU Corsair TX650W
Mem Dominator 1600 C8 6Gb
Next2 fan/temp controler
I am looking at getting the i7 950 and 2 Asus GTX 460 TOP Sli I am considering an SSD drive for my OS waiting to see what 6Gb SATA reviews are like.

I discovered a cool site for finding mobo blocks for water cooling here before I go through my idea for components can someone explain the difference between all nickle, copper or acetel ?

I am looking at a duel loop system one loop for mobo and cpu the second loop for gpu's

my thoughts so far based on post over at corsair

1 XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir duel pump 2 x Laing 18W DDC-1 Plus pump.

1st loop
1 x Bitspower G 1/4in. Silver Shining Fitting for 3/8in. Tubing
1 x Bitspower Crystal T-Block
1 x Bitspower G 1/4in. Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting
1 x Bitspower G 1/4 Silver Diamond Dual G 1/4 Fitting
4 x Bitspower G1/4 Black Sparkle Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8"
2 x Bitspower Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8"
6 x Bitspower Barb Fitting-ID 3/8"

1 x EK-FB ASUS X58 Acetal
1 x EK-MOSFET ASUS X58 KIT - Acetal
1 x EK-Supreme HF - Acetal
Radiator HardWare Labs X-Flow Extreme III

Tubing PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (10ft)

Coolant PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.) - UV Blue

Second loop
4 x Bitspower G1/4 Black Sparkle Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8"
4 x Bitspower Male to Male G 1/4 Fitting
Radiator HardWare Labs GTX240

Tubing PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Green Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (10ft)

Coolant PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.) - UV Green

not sure what fans to get I would like the system to be as quiet as possible so if you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

What do you think of these components is this going to be a good build

thanks

M

first off :welcome: to the forums here

how much research have you done on wcing ?
best advice for a newbie i think is to point you to the stickies
found here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628092
reading all of that will give you the answers to a lot of your questions
by now you probably had a quick look at them and yes i would like you to read all of it
in the end it will be your gain to have read them and also easyer at all that is answering your whatever you will wounder at after your done reading

others will probably too say you'll need to read the stickies but don't worry they all do so for your own benefit ;-)

yea, like he said. read the stickys (yes, all of it, trust me it's worth it). then once you've done that, head over to skinneelabs.com, the data there will make sense with your newfound knowledge. Use that to pick out some parts.

block choice as it stands isn't bad...but I see a TON of fittings stuff and nothing on a block for the second loop (i coulda missed it...tough to read those fittings and make sense of it).

FINAL SCHPEIL: Remeber, watercooling is a hobby, not a next step from air. There is maintenance and work involved in watercooling that there isn't in air, so if you want to do this, make sure you're willing to do the maintenance. If you're not enjoying it, it's probably not worth it.

oh, and drop the dye, it'll just clog your blocks.

Thanks for you replies I have read through the posts I know the risks and additional maintenance that will be involved I have been debating moving over to water cooling for the last 8 years to be honest I am sick of reading about it, time to build I was looking to get some advice on my kit will it be sufficient for my duel loop plan

thanks

Mike

Next2 fan/temp controler
have you looked at lamptron's line of controllers? they'r quite good

waiting to see what 6Gb SATA reviews are like.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hard-drives,3.html this is what you need, correct?

can someone explain the difference between all nickle, copper or acetel ?

it's what the top of the block is made out of for acetal, copper and nickel are what the bottom is made of. Performance-wise they're identical (or as identical as can be measured to within .01c....)

I am looking at a duel loop system one loop for mobo and cpu the second loop for gpu's

wcing 460's is a little...idk. You're gonna spend $100 on a block for a $200 card, seems a bit off to me.

1 XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir duel pump 2 x Laing 18W DDC-1 Plus pump.

make sure you clean this with the right stuff, the wrong stuff will crack it.

1st loop

1 x EK-FB ASUS X58 Acetal
1 x EK-MOSFET ASUS X58 KIT - Acetal
1 x EK-Supreme HF - Acetal
Radiator HardWare Labs X-Flow Extreme III

that's a high speed fan rad, where are your fans listed? Not just any ole fan will work on that. I'm also pretty sure that that line of rads is outdated...but I could be wrong, they may have given it a refresh (someone else will know...)

Tubing PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (10ft)

Coolant PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.) - UV Blue

dump the coolant, you've got blue tubing, what are you gonna be able to see of the coolant? Is it enough that you're willing to risk the clogging?

Second loop
4 x Bitspower Male to Male G 1/4 Fitting
Radiator HardWare Labs GTX240

Tubing PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Green Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (10ft)

Coolant PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.) - UV Green

this is literally fittings and a radiator aka useless. once again, high speed rad, see no fans listed, what're you using? Better choice in rads though...it's current.

not sure what fans to get I would like the system to be as quiet as possible so if you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

oooh, fan post. Ok well...if you want it to be quiet, pick different rads, those won't cool effectively as you would know if you had followed the prescribed reading of skinneelabs. Ask this again when you know what rads you're using.

What do you think of these components is this going to be a good build

outright, no, as it stands you have put altogether too little thought into this. you have a loop with no block FFS! You need to go back to the drawing board, focus less on fittings, more on blocks and rad performance and come up with a different plan. OR you can just throw money at it till it works...more time and effort on your part, but doable.

hope this helps you realize what you're getting into, because it took me a good 30 minutes to type.

have you looked at lamptron's line of controllers? they'r quite good

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hard-drives,3.html this is what you need, correct?

it's what the top of the block is made out of for acetal, copper and nickel are what the bottom is made of. Performance-wise they're identical (or as identical as can be measured to within .01c....)

wcing 460's is a little...idk. You're gonna spend $100 on a block for a $200 card, seems a bit off to me.

that's a high speed fan rad, where are your fans listed? Not just any ole fan will work on that. I'm also pretty sure that that line of rads is outdated...but I could be wrong, they may have given it a refresh (someone else will know...)

dump the coolant, you've got blue tubing, what are you gonna be able to see of the coolant? Is it enough that you're willing to risk the clogging?

this is literally fittings and a radiator aka useless. once again, high speed rad, see no fans listed, what're you using? Better choice in rads though...it's current.

oooh, fan post. Ok well...if you want it to be quiet, pick different rads, those won't cool effectively as you would know if you had followed the prescribed reading of skinneelabs. Ask this again when you know what rads you're using.

outright, no, as it stands you have put altogether too little thought into this. you have a loop with no block FFS! You need to go back to the drawing board, focus less on fittings, more on blocks and rad performance and come up with a different plan. OR you can just throw money at it till it works...more time and effort on your part, but doable.

hope this helps you realize what you're getting into, because it took me a good 30 minutes to type.

hey thanks for the post it has given me something to think about as I mentioned in my original post I was inspired buy the guy's build over on corsair forum he used the same rads I have selected I will go and research rads and blocks and post back when I have a better idea of which one I plan to use

again many thanks for the reply

Mike

to be honest I am sick of reading about it, time to build

I felt the same way. I learn more from doing. If time and money are not a problem for you, just go ahead and start building :) But if you care about any of the two, you might want to read up a little more. Definitely get rid of the UV fluid if you have UV tubing.

And yes, may want to revise your PC parts list if you're gonna spend this much on WC'ing ;)

By which, of course, you mean anything alcohol based.

... I have been debating moving over to water cooling for the last 8 years to be honest I am sick of reading about it, time to build

Don't let impatience cloud your ability to follow proper procedure: The 24hour leak test is an essential step in building a water cooling loop.

Last edited:
yea...I never remeber what acrylic doesn't like, I know alcohol is in there, but I just look it up when i need it.

i thought isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol was safe on acrylic/plexi? As long as you don't use acetone or goof off.

I don't know about goof off, but acetone will just 'cloud' the surface w/o any real damage. In fact, acetone and Methylethylketone (MEK) are used to weld acrylic/polycarbonate.

Back