• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build just beeps at me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
Soooooooo. I thought I would put me together a little socket 775 rig, so I drug out my case and emptied it of the chv-f and thuban and all that other stuff I had put in this case.
Soooooooooo........... I grabbed my bottle of everclear and threw a bunch of stuff back into the case and now it just beeps at me and just absolutely refuses to draw any pretty pictures on my big, pretty screen, this is making my screen upset!!!!!!!
intel c2Q, 6600
DFI lan party LT X38-T2R, donated by our good Friend Rgone.
the same ddr2 ram that I robbed the Q6600 out of so it should work, don't ask me to much about this ddr2 ram, I know less about that than I do about that ddr3 stuff.
same, cheap, fire hazard psu from that rig, so I know it all worked at some time or another.

I found the manual on line but there is nothing about the diagnostic codes and the first one to come up if 7F, any ideas?????

What graphics card, if any?

Also, everclear isn't an indication that everything will be clear to you forever. I think it's just marketing hype.

I can see clearly now the ice is here!!!

gigabyte gtx 760 is the gpu.

Can you get into the bios?
7F is a generic code meaning 'post check fail, user intervention required'.
That board will throw that code if you have floppy enabled (the default setting) and there's no floppy drive installed.

That board is also kinda particular on power supplies. If you have a questionable one it may not like it.

Last edited:
my fire hazard is NOT questionable.
let me look at the floppy thing, I don't have a floppy installed.

I can't get into bios, nothing in the manual about dialbing the floppy.

Last edited:
moved ram to other slots, no good.
one stick of ram in each slot, no good.
moved gpu to other slot, no good.
I have a sata drive installed, could this be a case where i have to use ide and then somehow install a sata driver?

Have you pulled the battery to do a bios reset? Could have some manual setting that are causing a problem. Also pull the mobo & set it on the desk (non-conductive surface). You might have an extra standoff in the grounding the board.

it has sat around here for a few months without a battery and I let it set over last night with the jumpers in clear.
tried a ps2 mouse and keyboard.
installed 2 fans I know have tack signal in all the fan headers.

Bleeping multiple times and zero BIOS screens at all: Probably the RAM slots. Check the contacts of the RAM slots.
(AMI usually bleeps 6 to 8 times, maybe up to 10 times)

(Award usually just repeats long bleeps, classic of RAM with an Award BIOS)

Knowing you C/D the biggest issue lies in and I quote

I grabbed my bottle of everclear and threw a bunch of stuff back into the case

How bout you pull it apart and try re doing it when you don't have a bottle of everclear in hand?!?! :chair:

WAH??? you're not saying?????? I'd never...... well, yea, it's just that it makes the day better.
I did swap my 7850 and 600 watt psu into it and the psu and 760 into the other, the 775 rig still one beep and 7f code.
the other rig booted right up with the psu and 760.

I bet it's missing a jumper, it's always the jumper that causes problems. Should be easy to see with them everclear goggles on :p

I did the overnight cmos rest, no good.
I found the specs of the rig I robbed the cpu and ram out of and the ram is pc-5300 making it 667.
the board is rated for 667 so that is not it.
the ram jumpers are set to by cpu.
I checked all the jumpers and they are all on the correct pins.

How old is this board? Could the battery be dead? I had one go dead and it wouldn't post for silly reason. It was a SOYO board if that tells you how long ago it was.

it's an old board, he told me to get a new battery and I did.
I have given up and will put it back in the board and box it came in.
It's really a shme, it looked so cool with the big north bridge cooer and big air cooler on the cpu.
I guess I'll just have to watch the classies for a while and if nothing show up pitch the rig in the dumpster.

Beep... Beeep.....

Smashes board.....

No more beeps.

That sucks caddi d. It really does.

IT SUCKS!!!! IT LOOKED REALLY, REALLY COOL, now it's just anther pos for the shooting range and the rest of the bits, cpu, psu is just another oem slug.
Time to find my next project to waste my life on.:censored:

Nothing more important than making sure your huntin' rifle is zero'd in so you can put meat on the table. I was actually hoping it was the battery, I felt like such a fool when I figured out the battery was dead and it worked when I replaced (mainly hoping I wasn't the only who had done this) it. :(

Back