• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build. Mobo/PSU help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

valawr

Hi i am currently looking into building my first gaming/OCing PC. I have been researching suitable components and am getting a little stuck on the Mobo i should choose.

I will be using the build for mainly gaming but also watching movies and surfing the net.

The Parts i'm thinkinf of are:

CPU:
i5 2500k

MOBO:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
ASRock Z68 Extreme4
MSI Z68A-GD65 versions
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3

PSU:
Corsair HX or TX
Antec Neo eco

RAM:
GSKILL Ripjaws X 8GB

G.Card:
6870 or Geforce 560

So my main question is which mobo i should use with that setup or any you would recommened for that setup?
What Wattage PSU i would need?
Do i go for the 6870 or the 560 G.Card?
Can i get away with using a SSD 64GB and purchasing a larger one or a HDD in the future? (obviously if i use the 64GB, i will not be putting much on the PC except maybe one game)

If there are any changes you would make to this build seeing as i am also looking into OCing it, they are more than welcome :)

Looking forward to hearing some useful info :D

1. Go for an Asus board. They are the best.

2. A 450W PSU is all you need on that setup, although I suggest you go for a 650W in case you want to go SLI/Crossfire later on.

3. I suggest the GTX560.

4. I'm running Windows 7, all my apps, BF3 and Office 2010 off a 64GB SSD.

I agree with Smokeu, except go with Radeon 6950 2GB, better price per performance over the GTX560.

Are there any other Asus boards out there that would be good for this setup that are maybe a bit cheaper?
Are there any SSD's you would suggest?
The 6950 2GB may be just out of my budget, any others you would recommend that is slightly cheaper :)

Thanks

Ok i'll prob go for the 6950 then :)

I was looking at some Asus Mobo's and i came up with these four:
Asus P8Z68-M Pro
Asus P8Z68-V LX
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z

Just wondering if there would be much of a difference in these boards with the build i'm going with??

Much appreciated

Back