• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

headcase

hi guys, im going to start to build a new system but need to pick your brains first lol, firstly it will be a system based around an e6750 core2 duo, with vista premium 32bit, 2 gig geil 800mhz ram, ocuk 550w psu, ...right the thing that is bugging me atm is what mobo to get, the gfx card im getting is a 3870xt, the question is....do i need to buy a openGL 2.0 support mobo for the 3870xt 2.0 if you get what im talking about???

thnx in advance paul

hi guys, im going to start to build a new system but need to pick your brains first lol, firstly it will be a system based around an e6750 core2 duo, with vista premium 32bit, 2 gig geil 800mhz ram, ocuk 550w psu, ...right the thing that is bugging me atm is what mobo to get, the gfx card im getting is a 3870xt, the question is....do i need to buy a openGL 2.0 support mobo for the 3870xt 2.0 if you get what im talking about???

thnx in advance paul
:welcome: to the forums!!! :D:D

You mean, do you need to buy a PCI express 2.0 compatible board? Nope, the card will work in 1.1 mode ;)

How much are you looking to spend on the motherboard?

Also...never heard of that power supply. I'd recommend switching that out for a Corsair HX series :D

sorry its a huntley 550w pc under the ocuk value tab, and i have £750 max to spend on build and £90 on the mobo, what would you recommend

sorry its a huntley 550w pc under the ocuk value tab, and i have £750 max to spend on build and £90 on the mobo, what would you recommend
Again, never heard of that brand. I'd recommend the Corsair HX series ;)

I'd say this board (you will have to find a retailer near you):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127029

It is under your £90 limit, but you should spend more on the power supply ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...PA=0&Description=corsair+power+supply&x=0&y=0

Pick which one you want! :D

Definitely spend good money on your power supply, as been said before Corsair has good ones. For your planned system, if you don't overclock or have multiple video cards, a GOOD 450W-500W power supply will be plenty (read jonnyguru.com for proper power supply reviews)

And no, OpenGL is a 3d programming language, you don't have to "buy" it, pretty much any gfx card nowadays would support that (has nothing to do with mobo).

Back