• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, Not booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich25

Afternoon

Just finished putting together my newest build. It is showing no signs of life at all. I will list the components below. I have verified a working outlet, working cables. Made sure power cord is seated into the PSU, Reseated the video card unplugged and replugged the CPU power and Mboard power, tried jumping the board in case the switch is bad. Thought I would throw this out here before I start yanking components. All my other systems are intel so I will not be able to replace the CPU or Mboard with a known good model. I have also pulled everything but the CPU and cooler and disconnected everything but the 8 and 24 pins and have the same result.

Ryzen 2600
MSI B450m Gaming plus
2 x 8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 3000 Ram
Asrock Phantom D RX580 8gb
Coolermaster masterwatt 650 PSU
Adata SU 655 SSD

Hopefully this is just a stupid error on my part but having looked this over for the last 30 minutes that is becoming more remote of a possibility. If I cannot figure this out tonight I will start swapping known good GPU, Ram and PSU tomorrow.

Thank you

Check to see if the PSU is working by disconnecting the PSU from the motherboard. Straighten out a paperclip, rebend it into a "U" shape and insert the ends into any green and any black wire on the main 24 pin power connector while plugging in a fan or a hard drive or something that draws power into one of the secondary harnesses. I have had at least one PSU that was DOA and it was a good name brand.

If PSU is confirmed to be putting out power then remove all but one memory stick and try each stick in each memory slot.

Also, did you check for bent CPU socket pins yet?

The last resort would be to remove the components from the case and connect on a table top to eliminate any possible electrical ground out issue.

Last edited:
Check to see if the PSU is working by disconnecting the PSU from the motherboard. Straighten out a paperclip, rebend it into a "U" shape and insert the ends into any green and any black wire on the main 24 pin power connector while plugging in a fan or a hard drive or something that draws power into one of the secondary harnesses. I have had at least one PSU that was DOA and it was a good name brand.
Thinking the same Mr. T

If PSU is confirmed to be putting out power then remove all but one memory stick and try each stick in each memory slot.

Also, did you check for bent CPU socket pins yet?

The last resort would be to remove the components from the case and connect on a table top to eliminate any possible electrical ground out issue.

I was not clear on the current setup, everything is on my desk, not case mounted yet.

Will check PSU for output

I have not checked for bent CPU pins, I did inspect prior to install and it looked fine to a quick visual inspection

Appreciate all the assistance so far

i did, sorry I didn't post that, tried both sticks in both slots and no change, no sign of life from anything on the board, CPU cooler not running and the "EZ Debug Led's" are not on

Are you absolutely sure all required power connectors are plugged into the motherboard? From a diagram of your motherboard, it looks like you should have a power connector in CPU_PWR1 and in ATX_PWR1. And, the graphics card needs a power connector too. The fact that debug LEDs don't even light sounds like the board is either dead or not getting proper power to even start doing anything.

Are you absolutely sure all required power connectors are plugged into the motherboard? From a diagram of your motherboard, it looks like you should have a power connector in CPU_PWR1 and in ATX_PWR1. And, the graphics card needs a power connector too. The fact that debug LEDs don't even light sounds like the board is either dead or not getting proper power to even start doing anything.

have the 8 pin for CPU have the 24 pin and have a 6 pin going into the video card (ive tested both with and without the GPU)

have the 8 pin for CPU have the 24 pin and have a 6 pin going into the video card (ive tested both with and without the GPU)

My Rx580 video card has an 8 pin and a 6 pin power connector. From pictures on the net looks like yours only uses an 8 pin connector.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Have you tried a CMOS clear?

Last edited:
My Rx580 video card has an 8 pin and a 6 pin power connector. From pictures on the net looks like yours only uses an 8 pin connector.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Have you tried a CMOS clear?

This 580 has a 6 pin

I did clear CMOS

Replaced PSU with a known good unit. Did not change, board appears totally unresponsive. I plugged the new PSU into a known good system and it powered on

Back