• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - suggestions/questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Salmon91

I've had my current system for ~3.5 years and it's time to upgrade!

Here is the current list:

CPU: i5 2500k/2600k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Ram: 16GB G.Skill RipJawsZ DDR3-2133 DIMM CL9 Quad Kit 1.65v
PSU: Corsair AX850
Graphics Card: AMD 7970 (whenever it will be available)
Case: Fractal Define XL http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=68
SSD: I will reuse my current 120gb vertex 2 from this system
HDD: Will also reuse 2x1tb HDD's from this system
Monitors: 3x Samsung S23A700D for eyefinity
+Some cheap Blu-Ray drive.

I will be playing games, occasional video editing and video encoding. I also use virtual box at times.

1. I've read that your ram voltage should be 1.5 and that 1.65v is too high? Or does this only apply to the older i7s and i5s? Any other thoughts on the ram?

2. 2500k/2600k, which one should I get? I was thinking of selling the CPU when IVY bridge is released and get one of those. Isn't it so that current P67/Z68 motherboards will support the new IVYs? So wouldn't the 2500k be the better choice if I'm going to sell it anyways?

3. Is the power supply overkill? If I ever crossfire 2x7970, would an AX750 suffice?

4. I've heard good things about the ASRock motherboard or is there another motherboard you would suggest?

Thoughts and suggestions are highly appreciated!

You should get Ivy so get an i5 2500k for cheap now then upgrade later.

For memory you should get a kit with 1.5v, that's what the new sandy bridge chipset likes. 1.65v memory will work but it's just a waste of electricity and unneeded stress, it was meant towards the older i7 generation. RAM you got is too fast. You will not see any performance improvements over 1600mhz so you will be just wasting your money. Get a cheap 1600mhz Rip Jaw kit that runs at 1.5v or lower.

PSU is overkill with one GPU but if you do plan on crossfiring then that will be good. 750 watt PSU could handle the load as well but would be running at a much higher load.

Motherboard is good, cooler is great, as for the case, I like the HAF X and Corsair 650d more.

You should get Ivy so get an i5 2500k for cheap now then upgrade later.

For memory you should get a kit with 1.5v, that's what the new sandy bridge chipset likes. 1.65v memory will work but it's just a waste of electricity and unneeded stress, it was meant towards the older i7 generation. RAM you got is too fast. You will not see any performance improvements over 1600mhz so you will be just wasting your money. Get a cheap 1600mhz Rip Jaw kit that runs at 1.5v or lower.

PSU is overkill with one GPU but if you do plan on crossfiring then that will be good. 750 watt PSU could handle the load as well but would be running at a much higher load.

Motherboard is good, cooler is great, as for the case, I like the HAF X and Corsair 650d more.

Thanks for your reply, will look into some better ram. I think I will go with the AX850 because the price difference is ~15$

Back