• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - Version 3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks knufire.

I wanted to ask a question specifically on the operating system for my new build. I want to install both windows 7 and something linux based like Ubuntu. I know I can install windows and install ubuntu also and choose the OS on the start up. Still looking around for a good SSD deal. If I end up getting the ssd, would it be better to install windows on the ssd and Ubuntu on the HDD (or could be visa versa). Perhaps it doesn't really matter and I can install them both on the ssd?

Thanks.

P.s. should I post a question like this specifically in the OS room, to get more specific feedback? Thanks.

Probably a specific enough question that you'll get more response in the OS section. I have very limited experience with Linux.

Quick question, does anyone actually read the manuals of all pc parts during the build? Just wondering if it's good practice to get into the habit of reading manuals fit all parts before installing them for current and future builds? Thanks.

I glance through it all, and fold the pages I might need. I do take my time though.

Thanks knufire.

I wanted to ask a question specifically on the operating system for my new build. I want to install both windows 7 and something linux based like Ubuntu. I know I can install windows and install ubuntu also and choose the OS on the start up. Still looking around for a good SSD deal. If I end up getting the ssd, would it be better to install windows on the ssd and Ubuntu on the HDD (or could be visa versa). Perhaps it doesn't really matter and I can install them both on the ssd?

Thanks.

P.s. should I post a question like this specifically in the OS room, to get more specific feedback? Thanks.

Unless it is quite a large SSD (240GB+) where you can have 2 partitions, you probably don't want to put 2 OSs on the same drive, and even if you do you probably don't want to do that since drive failure = 2 lost OSs, and a nitemare to recover. I would definitely put Windows on the SSD, and if you need another OS, either get a small 150 or less GB HDD and put it there OR you can actually run a version of Linux from a DVD/CD if you have an ODD, OR you can run it from a flash drive, which would be the logical choice and least expensive, leaving your ODD open for other media.

Thanks for the clear and logical advice PolePosition

I am planning on a 120gb SSD, your right not much space to two OS's

I like the idea of installing Ubuntu on my HDD (which I will use occasionally) and windows on my SDD (which I will use most of time time).

I assume doing things this way, won't cause any confusions between the two operating systems?

Thanks.

Thanks for the clear and logical advice PolePosition

I am planning on a 120gb SSD, your right not much space to two OS's

I like the idea of installing Ubuntu on my HDD (which I will use occasionally) and windows on my SDD (which I will use most of time time).

I assume doing things this way, won't cause any confusions between the two operating systems?

Thanks.

No confusion whatsoever, since you can only boot into one OS at a time, which is selected at "Power On" or "Restart" in a BIOS screen.

I'd try to only have the boot drive plugged in while installing the OS though. Somehow installing Windows on a SSD never worked for me if I had the HDD plugged in at the same time.

Weird... I multi boot ifs multiple drives and never had an issue (windows). Just make sure you install w7 last and let its bootloader put things in order.

Thanks Earthdog, I might just start by running Ubuntu on a VM... ??

Just wanted to check which is the "best practice" way of building the rig? I was going to do it in this order

1) Case - Antec 300 Three Hundred Two
2) Power Supply Unit- OCZ ZS 750W Power Supply (Install in case)
3) Processor - Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (install on motherboard)
4) Stock heatsink (Install onto of CPU)
5) Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Install on motherboard)
5) Motherboard - ASUS p8z77-V (Install in case and attached lead from PSU)
6) HDD - Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 (Install in case and attached PSU leads and leads to Mobo)
7) SSD - Kingston 120GB V+200 SS (Install in case and attached PSU leads and leads to Mobo)
8) Optical drive (Install in case and attached PSU leads and leads to Mobo)

Any advice from your vast experiences would be much appreciated, thanks.

Everyone does it differently. I'll usually install the CPU, heatsink, and RAM on the motherboard, then put it in the case. Next comes all HDDs, SSDs, and optical drives. After that, video card, and last is the PSU. Wire everything after all the components are mounted.

Thanks Knufire,

What do you sit your motherboard on when working on it outside the case?

I'd try to only have the boot drive plugged in while installing the OS though. Somehow installing Windows on a SSD never worked for me if I had the HDD plugged in at the same time.

Maybe that is because you always install Windows using an image and flash drive instead of an ODD with the DVD/CD, where it allows you to select the drive to install Windows?

Just wanted to check which is the "best practice" way of building the rig? I was going to do it in this order

1) Case - Antec 300 Three Hundred Two
2) Power Supply Unit- OCZ ZS 750W Power Supply (Install in case)
3) Processor - Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (install on motherboard)
4) Stock heatsink (Install onto of CPU)
5) Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Install on motherboard)
5) Motherboard - ASUS p8z77-V (Install in case and attached lead from PSU)
6) HDD - Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 (Install in case and attached PSU leads and leads to Mobo)
7) SSD - Kingston 120GB V+200 SS (Install in case and attached PSU leads and leads to Mobo)
8) Optical drive (Install in case and attached PSU leads and leads to Mobo)

Any advice from your vast experiences would be much appreciated, thanks.

I think the traditional method of building within the case is best. Mounting the motherboard secures it at various stress points. preventing you from bending the motherboard or breaking a solder point while installing RAM, CPU, and heatsink/cooler. Also, the motherboard won't move around as you're installing components, but to each his/her own.

Haven't worked both ways.

Installing from a flash drive is the same as ODD though, all I do is drag and drop everything from a CD onto the flash drive and then a few command prompt lines to make it bootable.

I have pretty big fingers, and it was hard enough trying to start those thumb screws in the standoffs without other components in my way, little alone trying to start them with all those components installed and in the way to get down in between there. As it was, I had to use a long pair of tweezers for two of the screws, namely at the top left corner by the I/O, and another by the MOFFSETS at top center, even using the longer thumb screws.

Thats a really good point Poleposition, I have seen it sometimes, first time builders putting all the components in the Mobo out of the case and the mobo flexing big time!

What are you suggestions on partitioning the SSD with the OS on? Thanks.

Quick check on SSD mounting options.

I recieved my SSD, but it does not come with any mounting plate for the 2.5" drive, however the case does have two places to mount the SSD (See the screw holes on the backside of the SSD at Hexus.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/storage/35885-kingston-ssdnow-v200-120gb/

1) On the bottom floor between the PSU and drive bays
2) On the back side of the motherboard plate.

My questions are, do SSD's get very hot? Would it be ok to mount them outside the drive bay?

Also, does it really matter which of the two options above I use to mount the SSD?

Thanks.

Back