• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - Version 3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What are you suggestions on partitioning the SSD with the OS on? Thanks.

I probably don't recommend partitioning the SSD, especially with only 120GB.
I did this with my first OS install of Windows 7 Pro only to realize once I was up and running, half of the drive was almost consumed. Then some Microsoft programs insist on being installed on the "C" drive, which isn't a bad thing since by having them on the SSD, they load much faster. I ended up going back, formatting the SSD, and doing a clean install with just one partition on the SSD.
Optimizing the SSD for lifespan was the key to preserving drive space and keeping only the bare essentials on the SSD/OS drive to utilize the most speed. This was done by moving the index file, paging file, and user account folders (documents, photos, music, videos) to another drive, which is what clutters up a drive the most to eat up space. I had thought about moving the ProgramFilesDirectory where new programs would get installed to my larger drive, but this caused too many issues with programs already installed. Most non-MS programs will give you the option where you want to install the program, such as games, which require a lot of space.

I found this article to be useful despite the title, as reponders who posted tips there provided some good tips and links, particulary on the bottom of the 2nd page.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...allation/73450b25-d794-4f18-9add-75253b893343

Quick check on SSD mounting options.

I recieved my SSD, but it does not come with any mounting plate for the 2.5" drive, however the case does have two places to mount the SSD (See the screw holes on the backside of the SSD at Hexus.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/storage/35885-kingston-ssdnow-v200-120gb/

1) On the bottom floor between the PSU and drive bays
2) On the back side of the motherboard plate.

My questions are, do SSD's get very hot? Would it be ok to mount them outside the drive bay?

Also, does it really matter which of the two options above I use to mount the SSD?

Thanks.

Odd that your SSD didn't come with an adapter plate, but then thats Kingston, not Intel or OCZ.
I haven't known of SSDs to run hot, simply unlike mechanical HDDs, SSDs have no moving parts, which equals no friction, which equals no heat.
Mounting depends all on your case and configuration. I couldn't use the adapter plate with my SSD, so I just attached the screws on the back with these gel rings which are like grommets and slid the drive into some punched holes under the drive bay.

Awesome, there is no need to for me to buy a screw driver with a magnetised tip, you can just rub a screw driver in one direction on a strongish magnet and it magnetises it.

I here you just need to be careful around the harddrive, but everything else should be ok. Also the good thing about magnetising your own screwdrivers is that you can adjust the strength of the magnet, therefore magnetising it as much as you need.

I guess everyone already knew this little tip anyway :)

QUESTION
Does anyone know any good (ideally free) software which allows for checking of the whole system build when it's all up and running. There was a nice program on my Dell laptop which checked the whole system, it even spotted bad sectors on my old laptop HDD and knew where the sectors were (apparently!)?

I hope the ASUS motherboard will come with some nice system check features.

Last edited:
Awesome, there is no need to for me to buy a screw driver with a magnetised tip, you can just rub a screw driver in one direction on a strongish magnet and it magnetises it.

I here you just need to be careful around the harddrive, but everything else should be ok. Also the good thing about magnetising your own screwdrivers is that you can adjust the strength of the magnet, therefore magnetising it as much as you need.

I guess everyone already knew this little tip anyway :)

QUESTION
Does anyone know any good (ideally free) software which allows for checking of the whole system build when it's all up and running. There was a nice program on my Dell laptop which checked the whole system, it even spotted bad sectors on my old laptop HDD and knew where the sectors were (apparently!)?

I hope the ASUS motherboard will come with some nice system check features.

I would be a bit leary of using anything "magnetized" around PC components, even if it were to hold a thumb screw to mount a motherboard to a standoff. Creating any kind of reverse polarity around circuitry don't seem like a good idea IMO, but I could be wrong and might not have no effect.

There are several places/sites where you can download a system checkup trial version for free. Norton's PC checkup is one of them among many, though to fix any errors found you might have to purchase the software, unless you know how to do it manually.

Back