• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build with 8350 need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarbyDoo

Registered
I'm looking for opinions for this build compared to an Intel i5 4690 k build what way you guys would go. The cost is about the same so that isn't an issue, the parts other than CPU and Motherboard will be the same, thx in advance and list is below.

FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+

G.SKILL Sniper F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Rosewill ARC-750 ARC Series

ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED CPU Cooler

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S3D7/240G

ASUS DVD-Writer DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS

Rosewill STAR PREDATOR - ATX Mid Tower

If this is for gaming and casual use I'd go for the Intel and I'm an AMD guy. For the money you're spending , you're further ahead and with the FX you'd need a better motherboard and cooler to realize any real speed and performance out of it.

+1 to what Johan said.

Also, that Kingston SSD... don't do it. I would go with a Samsung 850 Evo, or a OCZ Arc 100, or Something along those lines.

That Rosewill PSU appears to be garbage... or at least over rated at best. Its Huntkey with Rosewill label: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11612

I also do not see a video card... we need to know that before we can properly size the PSU for you...

Most of the time...

...if it seems too good to be true...

Rosewill ARC-750 ARC Series 750W for $64.99 and then a $15.00 rebate making that power supply a few cents less than $50.00. Yeah, I bet that is awesome power supply. Rosewill sells some more expensive power supplies and more in line with what is expected to be paid for a 'good' power supply.

RGone...

Thx guys for the replies and advice, I've done some research on the forums here and have decided to go with the Intel 4690 k. I ordered the case yesterday and am going to pick away at the rest over the summer. Here's what I came up with for a build which will just for moderate gaming and everyday use, looking forward to your sugestions.

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon
ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER ATX Intel Motherboard
SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM 2.5" 250GB
Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver 2 CPU Cooler
EVGA New Version SuperNOVA 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 750W
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM
GIGABYTE GV-N750OC-2GI G-SYNC Video Card

Last edited:
Thx Witchdoctor, just a question on the ssd, is the connections for it preinstalled on MB?

I hate to admit it ( I'm AMD all the way ) but that is looking like a solid build. If you go a little higher $$$ on the case, I'd go with a Cooler Master HAF ( High Air Flow ). I just did some checking on that Rosewill case.
The case is only 7.87" deep, which means that you will not be able to have the side panel installed with the Cooler Master 212 installed. The HAF 932 is 10" deep and is $99 at Newegg.

MaddMutt thx for the info, I ordered the case so now what? Would you have any sugestions on a good cooler that would fit?

Which case did you order?

You can confirm what will fit by looking at the specs for the case on their website (while you wait for am answer)

Not sure. while you wait for an answer, you can google, "name of cooler, reviews" and see if you can run into a round up That compares it.

I'm mobile or I would link you up. :)

Dug one up:http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...oling/cooler-master-geminii-m4-1041459/review

So again, which case did you get? How much clearance do you ha e? Budget? Are you overclocking?
http://www.rosewill.com/products/3002/ProductDetail_Overview.htm
ROSEWILL|STAR PREDATOR RT has 7.87" widthttp://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010h and will just be doing moderate overclocking, was looking at this watercooling by CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 120mm

Thx guys for the replies and advice, I've done some research on the forums here and have decided to go with the Intel 4690 k. I ordered the case yesterday and am going to pick away at the rest over the summer. Here's what I came up with for a build which will just for moderate gaming and everyday use, looking forward to your sugestions.

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon
ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER ATX Intel Motherboard
SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM 2.5" 250GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
EVGA New Version SuperNOVA 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 750W
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM
GIGABYTE GV-N750OC-2GI G-SYNC Video Card

I my honest opinion the video card is what matters the most in a gaming rig, get an AMD setup and save for a GTX 960 at least. The cpu starts to matter when you running 3 way sli and multi 4k monitor setup, for a single video card a 6 core FX cpu is more than enough, most games don't even load it more than 50%.

Here is a good low profile air cooler "Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver. 2". It comes with a 120mm 600-2000 PWM fan, which if you do not like, can be replaced with a better 120mm or 140mm fan. Your other option is a All In One (AIO) closed water cooler like the H50, H60, H80, Ect, Ect. If you are not going to be OCing the CPU, this is a good choice @ $45.00 on Newegg. Review Link - http://thermalbench.com/2015/03/17/cooler-master-geminii-s524-ver-2/
You will also get better thermal transfer when you use a better TIM (Thermal Interface Material) than what is in the box. I like AS5 (Arctic Silver 5) but each person has their on preference:)

I hope this helps you some

Last edited:
Back