• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build won't post. GA-Z87X-OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BroncosXR8

Registered
G'day guys,

Been doing my first ever build and have ran into a problem - more info at http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734311

Essentially, on powerup the MB lights up, fans spin up, MBIOS LED lights up and approx 9 seconds later the BBIOS LED lights up momentarily before the whole thing powers off.
It thens powers on about a second later and the same sequence goes on, except the LED's are reversed. If I let it run it keeps doing the same thing each time the LED's reversed.

Monitor is plugged in via displayport and shows nothing.

Next step is to remove the motherboard to check for correct mounting/shorts.

Last edited:
Removed MB from case and it's only got worse. Power on momentarily before going through its looping cycle.

At this point it sounds like something simply isn't connected properly. But could be BIOS settings. What I would do is completely dismantle the rig and rebuild it outside the case (easier to mess around with that way). Proceed slowly. Double check every connection as you go. All the way down to removing the CPU and resetting the TIM. As you reassemble (on cardboard or foam outside the case), do so only as to the basics: MB, CPU, heat sink, 1 stick of RAM, PSU, GPU, OD, HDD w/OS. That's it. No extra drives, cards. See if it wants to POST. If so, add your optional parts to the mix. Time consuming but you'll be able to play with cabling and make adjustments much easier than if it's all assembled inside the case.

Thanks Robert17, I've just finished doing all that but the it only powers on and straight off since I've had it out of the case.

The last apply of TIM was a little too much and had leaked over the side, so I had to clean that up, maybe it was making a short. But after reapplying it just powers on and then powers straight off.

Hopefully I haven't killed something :cry:

Do you have your fan headers on your MB populated? Optional 8-pin power connectors (or 6-pin, can't remember) ? Also, use a different stick of RAM in #1 slot. Then try #3 slot, one stick. Re-combine. Plug in SATA connectors from drive to different MB SATA slots. Fool around with it.

Hi Robert17, thanks again for your help.

I'm starting to think I've killed a brand new Haswell :(

I don't know what you mean by are the fan headers populated, but any fan I have connected to the MB starts when the power is on.

I've disconnected all the SATA and any other cables not required to at least turn on.

I've attached an image of the MB in the case, in this photo it has the 24pin connected, the 8 pin has a red box around it and that it what the 8 pin from the PSU is connected to, the green box is the CPU FAN connector and that is what the waterblock pump is connected too.

If I have the MB outside the case on foam does it need to be earthed?

No, the board itself dont really need a ground other than the one it get from the 24pin and 8pin. ( my testbed is 100% plastic .. no ground here ;) )

Can you remove your CPU and inspect the CPU socket pins ?

OK! I have got it to successfully power on and stay stable!!!
No output to the monitor yet though.

After being stuck on code A6 for ages, I installed the GPU and it now boots to Ab and the AE. AE is boot to legacy OS?
Still nothing on the monitor.

Press the reset Cmos button. Try again.

If you really never have any display, you may simply have something not plugged correctly. Is the monitor set on the DP input ? ( you were using DP on mobo )

So I got it to show on the monitor, and everything seems to be going fine. Installing Windows now :) Very happy!

Plugged in the monitor via DVI restarted and G2G.

Thanks for the help, I'll continue on in the build thread in the general hardware section now.

Back