• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer not making it to POST!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EVLshifty

Registered
I recently have started to put a build together. I put all the pieces in and now the computer will boot for 1-2 seconds and then reset. It will do this over and over until i unplug the power. The q code is 13 which is cpu post initialization. There is also a red led on the Mobo that lights up during that second or two and it says dramled. I noticed my bios may not be up to date so i updated it through the cool new flash bios feature and now i have code 13 and 35 before the computer shuts off. The Ram i am using has led's on it and they light up during that 1-2 second period so i don't think it is the ram. If any knowledge could be shared i would be appreciate it. I don't want to RMA the mobo and the CPU when it could have been fixed.

Things that i have tried:
Updated bios
Unplugged all components except power cpu and ram
reset cmos
reseated cpu

Specs
nzxt phantom 820 case
asus strix x99 gaming Mobo
nxzt kraken x61 watercooler
i7-5820k
corsair hx850i psu
corsairDominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
samsung 950 pro m.2 512 gb

A couple things you can try is using only 1 stick of ram and building it out of the case

I've tried it in a all the slots with 2 different sticks one at a time and it didn't seem to make a difference. The ram LED's light up so something positive is happening there. Building it outside the case is what i will do tonight. Just curious if there are any other diagnostics or if anyone else has had a similar issue.

The cpu and socket looked good but it's so hard to tell with the naked eye. I was going to pick up a magnifying glass to double check.

Did you try each RAM stick in every slot, one at a time? Pain in the butt but diagnosis consists of finding what it definitely isn't through process of elimination. Do you have any other RAM to substitute? Or another CPU for same?

Did you try each RAM stick in every slot, one at a time? Pain in the butt but diagnosis consists of finding what it definitely isn't through process of elimination. Do you have any other RAM to substitute? Or another CPU for same?

No cpu but i do have 2 sticks of RAM. I have tried each one individually in all the slots. I don't think the ram is the issue because the LED's on them light up.

You may be right, but I'm not sure functional LEDs automatically indicate zero RAM problems. Do you have access to any DRAM besides the new ones? That platform should be able to use DDR3 also, if you have any from a previous rig.

I checked the QVL and no DDR3 is listed. I do not have any other ram to check with. I assume it's more likely ram in the same package to be faulty but i still think it would be very unprobable for both sticks to be messed up.

I checked the QVL and no DDR3 is listed. I do not have any other ram to check with. I assume it's more likely ram in the same package to be faulty but i still think it would be very unprobable for both sticks to be messed up.

I agree about both sticks being bad, but nothing is impossible. After researching the mobo I stand corrected on the DDR3. Have you tried reseating the CPU and all the connectors from the PSU? I appreciate that a lot of the stuff asked of you seems simple and basic, and you may have already done most of it several times, but we have to start from the beginning to get a feel for what's going on.

I agree about both sticks being bad, but nothing is impossible. After researching the mobo I stand corrected on the DDR3. Have you tried reseating the CPU and all the connectors from the PSU? I appreciate that a lot of the stuff asked of you seems simple and basic, and you may have already done most of it several times, but we have to start from the beginning to get a feel for what's going on.

I have reseated the cpu. I have not messed with the 2 main cables for the psu but have unplugged everything else. I suppose i have made sure they're tight but not actually unattached the power cables. Do you think it could be a power issue? The q code was cpu post memory initialization.

Do you have another power supply you can test with? If not, unplug the 24 pin ATX connector from the mobo and jump the green wire to the black one next to it and see if the PSU turns on and stays on.

Do you have another power supply you can test with? If not, unplug the 24 pin ATX connector from the mobo and jump the green wire to the black one next to it and see if the PSU turns on and stays on.

i do have another one i will try. The new one came with a tester that plugs into the mobo and it worked.

Is any of your memory facing the wrong direction?

:rofl:

And no, I didn't think it was that funny the first time I did it. :)

A couple thoughts. Have you tried reseating your graphics card? (which is...?) Is your graphics card plugged in (if applicable)? Have you tried it in another slot?

Last edited:
I have to install an OS now. I'll check back in when I'm done. If you get it fixed, or at least diagnosed, please post back. Every addition to our knowledge base pays dividends down the road.

One last thing. Have you tried the BIOS button on the I/O panel?

Last edited:
Back