• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tu_Ultimate

Registered
Ok,heres the deal....i need a new CPU for my computer for a project im working on. I am definitly going to overclock it and I am looking for the highest performance cpu (with overclock applied). It would also be a bonus if I could get once which was slow at stock speed, and a lot faster at OC speeds.
Anyway ill be using a dfi lanparty jr p45 and ill be getting some crucial ballistix 1066 for the OC. I also have a jeantech arctic 600w psu (which has a wierd fan clicking noise verytime i turn my computer on which lasts for about 10 minutes). My current CPU is an e4500 which I OC'd to 3.4Ghz on my watercooling setup.
I want to spend the least I can on a CPU and the max i can go to is about 100-120 I was thinking about the e8500 vs q6600 but any other suggestions are welcome :p

Might want to think about getting a different PSU, cheap PSUs can go down and take your whole system with it. The fireworks are nice, though.

As far as overclocking goes, a E8xxx will net you the best clock speed. On good watercooling you might be able to get close to 5ghz. Personally I wouldn't think the e8600 is worth the money for the extra multi, so I would go for the 8500.

A Q6600 will get you much less clock speed and just general speed, unless your running a bench that likes quads, like wprime for example. Most people can get somewhere between 3.6 and 4.0ghz on water cooling. I've gotten mine up to 4.4 on cold air during benching, but that's no where near stable. You might be able to get more out of a Q9xxx but it's more expensive.

100-120? USD? That's more like E7xxx range there. A e7400 won't go as fast as a e8500, but it'll still clock pretty darn good. Don't know what range you might get on one of them though.

About the PSU, it seems to be fine for my needs, im not sure i can really afford a new one which would be better than that one. it seems ok since its got dual 12v rails with 19a on each and has never given me an satability issues with my e4500 which has a core voltage of 1.45v. Also it runs cool and i measure the load of my current system using my fan controller and it measures about 250w under load with the e4500 OC and my 8800gt.
Anyway my point is, surely with those specs and from the experience, it should run a quad or dual with an OC fine? My water cooling is a custom setup with just a single radiator, however i can add another if needed, My temps on the e4500 are 20 idle and 50 Load at 340*10.
Also I forgot to mention I was talking about GBP :p
Lastly about the speed incrase of dual vs quad, would the quad yield much higher benchmarks if they arnt specifically coded for quad core, and how many take advantage of this?
EDIT: forgot to say that a q6600 is about 150 GBP and an e8500 is roughly the same. Also what about the q8200 or other low end quads?

Last edited:
IIRC wprime, and 3dmark 05(or 06?) or later. I'm sure there are a few others but I can't remember them ATM.

If you're just doing gaming or something of the sort then go for the E8500. If you have something that you do a lot, that you know is optimized for quads, then go for the Q6600. In benchmarks that are not op'ed for quads, like super pi, the quad will be about the same per clock speed as it's dual core cousin. I.E. a Q9550 and a E8500 both at 4ghz will get about the same score, an E6600 and a Q6600 both at 3.4ghz will both get about the same score as well. The difference is that the duals will produce less heat and strain the MB less, and will thus reach higher clock speeds.

you can always try OCing that E4300 a bit more. That chip should be good to around the 65C range for load temps, so give it some more voltage and see what she'll do. :D

About the PSU, it's not the fact that the PSU won't give enough juice, its that the generic PSUs have a tenancy to just give up and die. Just something to consider.

EDIT: The Q8xxxs tend to overclock less than a Q6600 will, and lack that virtual whatever its called as well. Personally I think the Q6600 is better for the money, and if you want a 45nm then save up for a Q9xxx.

That was it the q8xxx dont have virtulization. The thing my e4500 wont boot higher since my memory is bad. which is why i need to factor in some new memory to the cost as well. I will be using the pc for gaming after I've made it, but i can get round good bench scores vs quads by using dualcore benches :p
Anyway the q6600 does make more heat, and i might have to buy another rad if i went that route. Also ive done 400*9 on my CPU but it was only stable for a couple of hours.
The PSU is reasonably new (6 months old) and I think it shouldnt die if i choose a dual where ill need less power.
Anyway my question now is: Whats the best dual for OCing vs price?

ok...so e8400 vs e8500 (both E0 stepping now i presume?) would the e8400 be a lower grade chip than the 8500 and do they still reach ridiculous speeds?

Being an OCer I see no difference b/n the different e8xxx chips assuming they are all E0's. They all OC about the same as they aren't limited by a FSB wall like the quads are. They can all get to 500FSB very easily, and that gives you 4.5GHz if you use the 9x multi that all 3 chips posses.

If you want a guaranteed exceptional OCer you need to ignore the model number, and focus on the batch or tried & true performance. Buy a used one that is a proven winner or sift through boxes looking for a known good batch.

Ok... all sounds fair, does that mean an E8200 will be good? This is because my friend said he had a spare one, but he had never overclocked it. Although surely the 8x multi would be a big wall, since to reach 4.5 Ghz Id need almost 600 FSB? Also do you think my board is up to the task of getting to at least 500?

I think 500 would be a good Goal .

And I think your Buddys e8200 would be fine for 4ghz . more so if it is free
I run my e8400 on a 8.5 multi , I can get 4.5 stable with my water but it takes a big voltage jump for 4.5 to be stable in the 1.53v range vs 1.39ish for 4.25 .

So 500fsb on a p45 chipset sounds realistic? because that would only give me 4Ghz with the E8200, Also if I got on with a higher multi, do they start to cap out after about 4.2? In terms of vcore required and heat?

I would go w/ an E8400 E0 at the least to ensure you not having to stress the NB or RAM too much to get high CPU clocks.

4.3-4.5GHz is where they usually top out.

Back