• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Dell 30 INCH LCD MONITOR 14 MS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm well aware that most new games support 16:10 and 16:9, that wasn't what i was saying. What I'm saying is that there is approximately 2.3x more pixels at that resolution than 1680 x 1050. almost certainly the monitor would have to be run at 1280x600 for games.. A 7800 GTX gets maybe 50fps avg in newer games at 1680 x 1050 with most of the options on... Even if you just divided by 2.5, which the performance hit is likely going to be worse than that, it is simply ridiculously slow. 15 fps? WTF? Maybe SLI would help out some but obviously you're looking at 2500 US for video card + monitor different strokes I guess.

I'm guessing around $1700 for this monster. It carries a better resolution than most TV's, and comparible TV's (LCD) go for about $1500 at that size.

Wiggles said:
I'm guessing around $1700 for this monster. It carries a better resolution than most TV's, and comparible TV's (LCD) go for about $1500 at that size.

Its a rare find to find even a 1080P LCD TV in most retail stores. Expecially at that price.

Some of my thoughts....
First:
Thing would look great with 2 FP2001's turned 90 degrees for wings....add some nice tri monitor action!
Second:
For all you high res haters, you can run 1280x800 and it will be in native res scale (out of native res scale is what looks like crap)...it will use 4 pixels (in the shape of a square) to form one pixel (which all be damned....is shaped as a square!!!)
Third:
Cost....1999 retail most likely. Why? Apples offer is 2400 or so...but I'd imagine coupons would drop this to 1500 within the first month.
Lastly:
That 37" sceptre seems very nice and is definetly something to be considered. The only problem with it is it has 56% of the pixels the dell 30" has...but if you only use one monitor and want to use that for most of your media....i.e. computer, gaming, xbox/ps2, movies, and TV....then rock the sceptre out!

Display Size: 30 inch
Response Time: 14ms
Brightness: 400cd/m2
Contrast: 700:1
Viewing Angle: 178/178
Native Resolution: WQXGA (2560 x 1600)
PC Connectivity: DVI-D (Dual link) x 1 with HDCP
Others: 4-Port USB Hub, 9-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader/Slots, Height Adjustable Stand, Swivel & Tilt. (No pivot)

the back reminds me of the terminator:

pictures4bf.jpg

ajrettke said:
Some of my thoughts....
First:
Thing would look great with 2 FP2001's turned 90 degrees for wings....add some nice tri monitor action!
Second:
For all you high res haters, you can run 1280x800 and it will be in native res scale (out of native res scale is what looks like crap)...it will use 4 pixels (in the shape of a square) to form one pixel (which all be damned....is shaped as a square!!!)
Third:
Cost....1999 retail most likely. Why? Apples offer is 2400 or so...but I'd imagine coupons would drop this to 1500 within the first month.
Lastly:
That 37" sceptre seems very nice and is definetly something to be considered. The only problem with it is it has 56% of the pixels the dell 30" has...but if you only use one monitor and want to use that for most of your media....i.e. computer, gaming, xbox/ps2, movies, and TV....then rock the sceptre out!

What you said is correct, but it's still going to affect image quality. The result is that every "pixel" is going to look 4x larger, cutting down the detail of the image. A true 2560x1600 picture will look much sharper than a stretched out 1280x800 pic will. There's no substitute to running at native res, so one will need a rig capable of pumping out 2560x1600 with decent fps to get the most from this monitor.

Bandwidth consuming subpixel image quality optimizations such as antialiasing and anisotropic filtering become less of an issue than they are on smaller monitors when your monitor is so large that you can't view the entire thing and still see individual pixels!

I've been using the same CRT for almost 6 years now. Never upgraded b/c it worked fine but throughout the last year I've been tempted to pick up the 2405.

I saw this and I think this is going to be my next monitor. I showed it to my wife and she said 'you should get it'....my wife rules.

FunkyTechnician said:
I've been using the same CRT for almost 6 years now. Never upgraded b/c it worked fine but throughout the last year I've been tempted to pick up the 2405.

I saw this and I think this is going to be my next monitor. I showed it to my wife and she said 'you should get it'....my wife rules.
:cool:

FunkyTechnician said:

Lucky man :)

deathman20 said:
Lucky man :)

Yea, we both have our own hobbies and don't really impede each other from doing them. I am pretty lucky that she's rather understanding with my foolish penchant for electronics and computers but then again I do the same with her furniture, shoe buying and interior decorating ;)

I honestly believe that it's partly because my old 19" CRT isn't so aesthetically pleasing in regards to interior decorating...haha.

Alchemy1 said:
Whoa!!! That is a SERIOUS monitor. I wonder what the price will be and if the release of this monitor will have any affect on the pricing of the 20" and 24" screens?

LOL - I **JUST** bought the 24" 2405FPW

Back